Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paul Boel

MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,128 Mega Baller
edited January 17 in News & Other Stuff
Paul Boel passed away this morning. He was 98. He had a tremendous passion for water skiing and a great influence on Michigan water skiing. I ski at one of the sites he built and our club (which was his club) continues to benefit from his dedication to the sport.

Below is from the writeup for his 2016 Award of Distinction from the USA Water Ski and Wake Sports Foundation:

Involved in water skiing since 1956, Paul Boel was a pioneer in our sport. As one of the original organizers of the Michigan Water Ski Association, Paul developed the private Tivoli Gardens Lake site in the early 1960s and has been hosting major water ski events there for more than 50 years. Besides local, collegiate, state and professional tournaments, Paul hosted the 1976 Midwest Regionals and the 1978 Nationals, which saw more than 28,000 spectators. It was the largest number of spectators to ever attend a National Championship. Paul was the Men 6 National jumping champion in 1991 and Men 10 National jumping champion in 2006. He also was the first Senior Men competitor to jump 100 feet. Paul was inducted into the Michigan Water Ski Association's Hall of Fame in 1987 and was an active long-time financial supporter and board of trustee for the USA Water Ski Foundation.
The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
HortonMDB1056KimbymonDragoaupatkingLZywicki1

Comments

• klindyklindy Posts: 2,589 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Paul was a great guy! My time with goes all the way back into the early 80s. He was always fun to be around and he loved to jump!!
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    MISkier
  • VONMANVONMAN Posts: 235 Crazy Baller
    Sorry to hear that. He would come over from time to time (Dixboro Ski Club) have beer and the stories he would tell about the past. Not to mention the knowledge he had about the sport and what he gave to his love of Water Skiing.
    Ernie Schlager

A Good One Ball Gives You Six
    MISkier
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,601 Mega Baller
    edited January 18
    I’m happy to have skied at one of his sites, Tivoli Gardens, and have to say, it’s still the most naturally beautiful site I’ve ever skied at. The only word I have to describe the place is “Mystic”. It always astonishes me to find out about these great people who, on opposite sides of the country, have impacted and influenced my skiing life.
    My prayers are with his family
    MISkierDaveD