Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

standardized data format for water ski tournament data?

RobRob Posts: 66 Baller
Bit of a long shot here but before I roll my own I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a standardized data format for describing water ski tournament information? There are several data points that are common to every tournament. A few of them would be name, description, start datetime, end datetime, events (some combination of slalom, trick, jump), format (ie. 2 rounds slalom followed by 1 round trick), location, tournament contact info etc.

I'm really hoping it already exists as I would find it useful. Anyone know?

Comments

• MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,127 Mega Baller
    This is an example of an extract from AWSA:

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,127 Mega Baller
    In re-reading the question, I see that you are looking for an overall description of the tournament, not the actual scoring (which I provided). I would think AWSA has something from the sanction data they use for the event signup info.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,589 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Rob perhaps you can explain what you're trying to accomplish and we can explain what exists already.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    MISkier
  • RobRob Posts: 66 Baller
    @klindy There are lots of reasons why a standardized way of expressing this type of data would be valuable. It's for this reason that I thought I'd quickly check if someone else and already come up with it. Right now my need is due to my rebuilding a simple site that lists tournaments in our area. One of the improvements I'm adding is a new link for each tournament that, when clicked, will send an ics file down to the client. This allows people who wish to add the tournament to their calendar to simply click on the link to do so. Pretty basic stuff, but with how my logic is currently working I would have to list the actual tournament data twice - once on the webpage where all of the tournaments for the year are listed and another to build the ics link for each one. Such data duplication is mildly irritating to programmers in general but also because I know this data will change periodically (tournament is cancelled for example) and I don't want the grief associated with having to remember to update the data in 2 places. I want to change it in a single location, and then have all my ics links as well as the textual listing of each tournament automatically update from there. This requires a single source for the data and some simple logic to read it as required. That in turn requires a format to store the data in, which brings us back to the original question.

If someone else has already thought this through and come up with a format for storing this type of data I was going to reuse that. Hopefully it's standardized but that would be icing on the cake - I'll take whatever I can get.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,254 Mega Baller
    Here's the overall event schedule produced through the sanctioning process in UsaWaterski: https://www.teamusa.org/usa-water-ski/events-items/events-search---3-event

You can click any of the links to see the format of the data your interested in that's already captured by the sanctioning process.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas