Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nate Regina Andy Kris Bob - all right palm down - does it matter ? YES !

swbcaswbca Posts: 128 Baller
edited January 22 in Technique & Theory
All of these world record holders are right foot forward with right palm down grip on the handle.
(sorry that women are under-represented in this sample)

I was doing OK during 20 years of competition, a couple of National titles while living in Minnesota, but I realized TODAY that I have been doing it wrong my whole life. . . with right foot forward - left palm down.

Since its winter and I can't ski, this is my latest dive into what might be trivia - Most agree that everyone has an on-side and off-side turn . . with some of the best skiers left and right are equal but always different in execution.

Because grip position affects shoulders and upper body, I believe everyone has on-side and off-side grip on the handle where the skier's grip works better for getting into a Stacked Position on one side. The effect may be subtle depending on the skier and the ski, but using the "wrong" grip adds a second awkward body-to-equipment position in your off-side turn. (foot position + hand position) Plus, your on-side turn may not be affected one way or the other by your grip position.

Is your front foot and your palm down hand on the same side ? . . both-left or both-right like the record holders ?
KimbymonReallyGottaSki

Comments

• ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,388 Mega Baller
    edited January 21
    Yes. Think of a baseball bat or golf club grip. The foot facing the pitcher’s mound or the green is the front foot, and that hand is palm down.
  • ReallyGottaSkiReallyGottaSki Posts: 218 Baller
    Seriously tried it, can't do it
    Right foot forward, Right palm up...

swbcaswc5150SkiBadgerEljaybee
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,077 Mega Baller
    edited January 21
    notable "reverse" grip skiers with obvious success, to name just a few: April Coble (rff), Kristi Overton (rff), Jeff Rodgers (lff), Lucky Lowe (lff).
    Most coaches advocate the "appropriate" grip (as you described).
    Whatever works best.
    Hopefully the ice up there thaws soon so you can put all your thought processes to work on the water!

swbca
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 209 Solid Baller
    Carl Roberge
    Gloersen
  • swbcaswbca Posts: 128 Baller
    edited January 21
    @skibrain I bought Carl's boat and skied at his school for a week . . . he should have said something about my wrong grip.
    skibrain
  • aspskiaspski Posts: 227 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I ski Right foot forward and I hold the rope right hand palm up. I do this because I have played hockey all my life and I shoot right (left palm down and right palm up) I have tried to ski right palm down but it feels sooooo weird. I just can't do it
    robmollysilverlake
  • robmollysilverlakerobmollysilverlake Posts: 100 Baller
    I'm with aspski, but I'm left foot forward with left palm up, same way I grip a hockey stick, golf club, baseball bat, and tennis racquet.
    aspski
  • CBR51CBR51 Posts: 116 Baller
    Skied for almost 40 years with the wrong grip. Tried it a few years earlier and gave up. Yes just felt way too weird. Then decided again a couple of years ago. Just free skied Took awhile. Stay with it. It is worth it. Your offside lean and position will be way better
    BG1
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 944 Crazy Baller
    edited January 21
    I think you will find that right foot forward and right palm down is somewhat the norm. The opposite you would hold a baseball bat for a right handed batter. Funny thing, every time I go to show someone some sort of dry land practice I always hold the handle wrong. I made the switch 21 years ago.
    ReallyGottaSki
    @CBR51 @skierjp Glad to hear making the change helped you. I don't know if its a habit that can be changed during off-season, but I am going to work on it. I just added a few buoys to my wildest dreams.
    Than_Bogan
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,877 Mega Baller
    I switched years ago. I actually didn't find it that hard to switch, but I also didn't find that much gain from doing so.

Probably a little more symmetrical, though, so I didn't go back to my old evil ways.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 929 Mega Baller
    Chris Rossi made the switch from "wrong" to "correct" grip and recommends it. I have tried and just can't do it, but can see how it would improve your offside lean.
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 698 Crazy Baller
    I switched maybe 20 years ago. Awkward at first but just stay with it. Shouldn’t take more than 3 sets to get the right muscle memory programmed. The difference is incredible, you’ll feel much stronger on your off side.
  • ColeGiacopuzziColeGiacopuzzi Posts: 471 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Best thing I ever did, Nick Parsons was the one who pushed me to do. If you break at the waist often on offside, fixing your grip can completely take that away as well as puts your body in a better position out of the buoy like @dvskier said above. It took me about 5-8 sets and it felt normal.
    luckyosunBruce_ButterfieldMISkierSkoot1123
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,230 Administrator
    any currently notable skiers using reverse grip?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes 

BG1
  • MurrskiMurrski Posts: 191 Baller
    I also switched from wrong grip to correct grip a few seasons ago. I'm RFF and right palm down now. I worked on muscle memory and feel in the off-season by dry land training - leaning/leveraging on the handle. I did this about 5-10 minutes a day a few days a week. Once I was back on the water in the Spring - I felt comfortable after 1 maybe 2 sets. My offside leverage/lean was the biggest improvement with shoulders way closer to level in comparison to wrong grip offside leverage/lean. My stack improved and my speed into the 1st wake improved. I'm attacking the 1st wake now rather than bracing for the 1st wake because I feel more balance and centered on the ski.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,612 Mega Baller
    Mike Kjellander, origins thesis is pretty much a wash.
    Also, pretty sure KLP was "wrong" until about 20 yrs ago
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,177
    There are way more things to worry about than which direction your grip is.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

ReallyGottaSkiWish
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 398 Open or Level 9 Skier
    I think this is not always the case. I switched to the "correct" grip for an entire season, 7 years ago in practice and tournaments, didn't help nor hurt. During the late fall of that year , I tired on pass back to the wrong way, and I just felt more natural for me.

I don't think my incorrect grip is hindering me , many other shortcomings are, but I think too much is made of this. The theory is that the correct grip gives you more power on your odd side, with a slight loss on your stronger on-side. As my offside is much better than my onside, I am likely an anomaly.
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 374 Crazy Baller
    Why spend the time thinking and experimenting with it? Seth recommends going symmetrical in this video @Horton posted years ago.

bigtex2011
    @ForrestGump You said "There are way more things to worry about than which direction your grip is"

The amount of worry depends on what your gripping.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,388 Mega Baller
    Sounds like it’s time for a Winter poll
  • BobFBobF Posts: 196 Solid Baller
    Maybe if your grip is wrong, it's time to switch your forward foot to match it. :D
    ALPJrKimbymonThan_Boganadkh2oskier
  • RGilmoreRGilmore Posts: 90 Baller
    Two words: Jeff friggin' Rogers
    BobFMDB1056BigGerald3Cooper_Trelawney
  • HSLHSL Posts: 31 Baller
    Wim DeCree is/was one of the notable non-compliant rebels. And I'm pretty sure that SCoke, who made the change from "wrong' to " right" and adding some buoys to his PB, maintains a list of bass ackward handle holders who have run 38 in a record tournament. There were maybe 9 on that list. It might have been just 34mph skiers on that list. I hope he pipes up here.
  • CBR51CBR51 Posts: 116 Baller
    Drago. Your right about KLP changing. Spoke to him about a few years back. He said it made a big difference for him
  • LuzzLuzz Posts: 564 Open or Level 9 Skier
    @Horton Beatrice Ianni (rff), Matteo's sister, has switched to right-palm-up recently after a crazy golfer's elbow, which brought to a surgery and still not the best. Being "reverse" grip is the only way she can actually ski. Solid skier, early 39off
    Host of The Water Ski Podcast & Water Ski Bits
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    Co-organizer of the Jolly Clinics
    MDB1056
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 398 Open or Level 9 Skier
    @HSL, I doubt those numbers if so I am one of the 9. Before graduating to Mens7, I consistently ran 38 in tournaments, more frequently in Rs than Cs. And have run 39 at 34 and 32mph with the wrong grip, I think there are more wrong gripers than you think.