Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HO A1, A2, S1

thealythealy Posts: 3
edited December 2010 in Skis Fins Bindings
<p>
I am 6' 2" and 205lbs.  I currently ski on an  68" 07 Monza.  I really like the Monza on my on-side but have to be in exactly the right position to get it to turn on my offside causing me to be much more inconstant than I would like.  I ski 34mph at can run 22' off with regularity and 28' on an occasion and infrequently get into 32'.  When I shorting the line, I find I have to pull past the second wake longer than I would like sometimes resulting in slack at the turn.  Given this, my assumption was that the 34mph tuned S1 would give me a bit more speed and the A1 would be a bit slower than I need.  First, is this assumption accurate and secondly would the A2 give me the carving turning ability of the A1 with the speed of the S1?  Thoughts?  Suggestion? Save myself $1k, and accept the fact it’s not the ski fault?  Thanks in advance!
</p>

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,051 Mega Baller
    I am bigger than you but made the switch from a 70" Monza to a 68.5" A1 and it made a huge difference in my offside turn. The speed of the ski isn't the issue but I would say it is the angle you are getting off the ball. I went from a similar level as you in the summer of 2009 when I was running 22 off consistently and 4-5 at 28 off as my average and I would run a couple at 32 off. This past summer on the A1 I started running 28 off very consistently and deep 32 off (4-5) most sets and running 32 off regularly including running 32 off out of the water 30-40% of the time. The A1 is way better on your offside turn and I think that is the key to your improvement. I have seen way more A1s in tournaments at 34 mph than A2s. The A1 has plenty of speed. I do think a ski change here could make a difference. My offside got way better just moving from the Monza to the A1. The rest of the improvement came with some coaching.
    Mark Shaffer
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,588 Mega Baller
    Chef23, maybe you've seen way more A1s than A2s because the A2 was just released. We just got our first demo skis 3 weeks ago. The only one I saw in action before that was the guy who won the Denver Big Dawg stop.
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    Roger I meant to say S1s in my post not A2s. You are right I haven't seen any A2s because I live in Mass and our lake is frozen.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Rodger and Chef23, in your opinions would the be any reason not to go with the A2 over the A1 or the S1? (other than you can find good deals on the A1 and S1).
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,588 Mega Baller
    thealy, I have not skied on an A1 or S1, so couldn't answer that one.
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    I haven't skied the A2 or S1. I do think the A1 would be an improvement over your Monza. If money were no object I would probably try an A2 (and a dozen other skis) but if cost is an issue you can find an A1 at a pretty good price right now.
    Mark Shaffer
  • AKAK Posts: 23
    It is strange there is no size chart for the A2 out yet. I want to switch to A2 from A1 but I am reluctant since I am not sure of the size ski I should go for.
  • Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,462 Crazy Baller
    Use the weight chart for the A-1