Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ski Nautique 196 year 2009

baia7baia7 Posts: 2
We live at Lake Como Lake and we have a waterski club and a slalom course. We bought a used Ski Nautique last year and we realized boat is having a lack of gasoline serious issue. The boat start normally but, after a random time, and not always, but very often, the engine stops, like if if you run out gasoline. Unfortunately it happens often when we are waterskiing. We changed gasoline pump, cleaned gasoline filter and finally changed gasoline filter. The problem is still on, does someone incurred in a similar issue and can give us a reccomandation?
Thanks and Ciao
Ciro and Luca

Comments

• skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 627 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Put a fuel pressure gage on the fuel rail and observe pressure while you are having the issue. If it is dropping, it is fuel delivery related. Good place to start. Did you change high and low pressure pump? Did you change both filters?
    baia7
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 499 Crazy Baller
    Change out all the rubber fuel lines.
    Ethanol can cause older lines to collapse internally which restricts fuel flow dramatically.
    Clydesdalebaia7
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,113 Mega Baller
    I found some debris at the inlet to the fuel cell in mine. There is a small metal screen behind the barbed fitting at the inlet to the fuel cell. Remove the barbed fitting then check and clean the screen.

You can also check the flow of the fuel return line to the gas tank. At idle it should be a steady flow. That was how i figured out there was a restriction in my fuel system. Just be super careful there are no ignition sources and to capture the returning fuel. I think I was able to get my fuel return line up to the fuel tank fill opening for the test.

Two cheap and easy tests.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    KRoundyaupatkingbaia7
  • brettmainerbrettmainer Posts: 344 Crazy Baller
    It’s been 11yrs since I had my 2009, but I recall having the same issue. Turns out there are two fuel filters. There is a small cheap inline filter under the drivers side about two feet in front of the tank on the fuel line running from tank to engine. I changed that and problem was solved.
    ALPJrbaia7
  • h2onhkh2onhk Posts: 338 Crazy Baller
    Another item to check would be your anti-syphon valve located on the fuel cell. If the spring assembly inside is starting to degrade, it can cause intermittent loss of fuel flow.
    InterjonZman
  • skiboat38skiboat38 Posts: 131 Baller
    Sounds like the fuel line collapsing
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,612 Mega Baller
    @baia7
    Always check obvious simple stuff first, like the ignition emergency shutoff switch (the lanyard for the driver)
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    MISkierMDB1056Robbo5252
  • wawaskrwawaskr Posts: 329 Crazy Baller
    Sounds crazy, but put a new distributor cap on it. They are known to instantly fail. Mine left me stranded last summer - had to get towed in - was just idling along and sputter, stop - would not start - just like I ran out of gas. Checked all things mentioned above, then after researching, swapped out a new distributor cover, and bam - fires right up!
    Matt
    Spruce
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 582 Crazy Baller
    Caps are very easy to inspect and see if there is any damage or cracking. If all is fine there is no need to replace. Damage in a cap that would shut the engine down would be evident. It's simple to check before replacing.
  • baia7baia7 Posts: 2
    many thanks to all for the help .... we are checking on your advice , Cyrus
  • chrislandychrislandy Posts: 188 Solid Baller
    I would also add to check the fuel tank breather as this can cause what you are describing
  • wawaskrwawaskr Posts: 329 Crazy Baller
    @MDB1056 mine was perfectly fine looking at it. That's why I said it sounds crazy - did not believe it myself. Google it - many Excaliber owners have taken their boats to mechanics and replaced all kinds of parts - fuel, ignition, crank/cam sensors, etc., only to find out it was the dizzy cap. The connections molded in the cap fail (period). I will always keep a spare in the glove box.
    Matt
    buechsrMDB1056
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 582 Crazy Baller
    Yikes - that's scary. More reasons to love older boats. So easy to work on if they ever do need it. At least for us old guys......
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,421 Crazy Baller
    @wawaskr and @MDB1056 , my 2008 had a failed cap. No evidence visually. Just tried that after doing a lot of other troubleshooting. Shorting across two terminals.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • ralral Posts: 1,812 Mega Baller
    @baia7 , does it happen always? Or just later in the day after the engine has been used and stopped for a while?

We had that issue in our ‘08.
    Rodrigo Andai