Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An old small injury a deal-breaker for competitive skiing ?

swbcaswbca Posts: 120 Baller
edited February 3 in Mostly Slalom
Starting at square one1 with resuming skiing after a several decade gap requires a lot of financial investment and preparation. So having some small thing cause a failure in this initiative is a big deal.

Has anyone experienced this ? . . . While free skiing in cold weather many years ago when I wasn't active in the sport, I ripped a muscle or tendon related to bicep. It took months to heal and never thought about it again or skied with force again. Now when I am working out, I am forced to stop short on many resistance workout activities because that very old injury feels like it is going to tear. It natural to be concerned that this injury may prevent competitive skiing for obvious reasons . . . biceps are developed and used to human limits with competitive slalom.

So, has anyone learned anything about sports medicine from their own experience that could provide some insight into this concern, or how to prevent it from becoming the deal-breaker on 'day-1' ?

I would like to hear that old muscle or tendon injuries can be overcome with physical training, but I don't know if that's true.

Comments

• scokescoke Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    And so it begins. The doubt is creeping in.

Before you get deeper, it could be a good time to walk away.

OR

Ask yourself a deep seated question, “why am I doing this?”

If not, come June when you still have not run a single pass behind a 6.2l 409 hp modern zero off boat, youre frustrated and ready to quit, then answering the question will be only way to really push through.

Otherwise, it’s going to be a very long painful, disappointing floundering season.

Could be time to take up golf or something else!!
    The_MS
  • VONMANVONMAN Posts: 232 Crazy Baller
    Been their, done that. In 2003 I had the left shoulder repaired and the bicep reattached, six months later I was back skiing. In 2009 I had the right shoulder repaired, again six months later, back skiing. It took a full year to get full muscle mass back. 2021 still skiing at the age of 70. It can be done but "A man has to know His Limitations".
    Ernie Schlager

A Good One Ball Gives You Six
    Bruce_ButterfieldHortoneyepeeler
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 455 Crazy Baller
    I claim no expertise, but always having my arms straight when trying to accelerate (or any load against the boat) helps me when I have sore arm muscles.
    phntmskiswbca
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 929 Mega Baller
    @scoke taking his trolling to the next level ...

@swbca most people in this sport are really great, and while I can't speak for anybody else, I think it is awesome that you are taking this on. Welcome back and the best of luck!
    Bruce_ButterfieldAlberto Soares
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,065 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    1. Go get it checked out by a orthopedic doctor. He’ll order an MRI and you’ll know what you’re facing. I’d keep going to the gym. Both my shoulders have been repaired and I’m less than 100%, but I go as hard as I’m able.
    2. Check out a Goode Power Vest. It will take the load off your arms and shoulders and move it to your back.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    BigGerald3phntmskiBlueSki
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,188 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    edited February 3
    Look up Aiden Willis if you need inspiration, super guy, super skier, if you can impress the G.O.A.T you have the ultimate respect.
    Possibly who @Kelvin is referring to., he died twice on the operating table, all because the medical services took too long to respond.
    He was Building docks for people, in Florida, not sure where he is at, right now ?

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

ALPJr
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,382 Mega Baller
    See your primary doctor about it then go from there. Meantime take it easy on that muscle and try to stay positive.
  • VONMANVONMAN Posts: 232 Crazy Baller
    @dbutcher You are right on about straight arms. It only took me 15 years to figure that one out. Pylons, ropes and Handles had nothing on me. After my first surgery I learned the meaning of a smooth hookup to the boat with straight arms. No more Greatest Hits.
    Ernie Schlager

A Good One Ball Gives You Six
    swbca
  • marknmarkn Posts: 404 Crazy Baller
    @Stevie Boy You are right about Aiden Willers. He and his crew are currently rebuilding our dock/boathouse in Clermont, FL. Guy is amazing. He told me after his major injury, he worked back to running 38 off @ 34 mph. Pretty cool too. I pulled out my old hollow AM-33 to show him and he remembered making my serial # 00018 ski.
    If anyone in or around Orlando needs dock/boathouse work done, there is none better Aiden. He and his crew do absolutely amazing, quality work.
    ScottScottStevie Boy
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 1,068 Mega Baller
    Aiden basically has no bicep on that arm, but the biggest issue it had with his skiing was his grip. So he came up with a hook and a handle with the rope attached in the middle instead of one side. I've seen him ski through 35 off and he looked great
    dvskierStevie Boy
  • swbcaswbca Posts: 120 Baller
    @dbutcher @VONMAN The straight-arm approach sounds like a good way to prevent an injury. I'll include that when I am figuring out how to ski without wrecking something.
    Thanks
  • MAGMAG Posts: 2 Baller
    I am a M8 avid course skier, occasional competitor over the past 55 yrs, and family physician.
    I try to ski safe and have needed to adapt to multiple disabilities.

1. see a sports med physician and sports PT for a current diagnosis and strengthening program.

2. the biceps not only flexes the elbow it is a strong supinator (rotation to palm up position). If loading the bicep causes discomfort or "doubt" (which is just a bad) then placing that hand in the palm down grip will lessen the load.

3.The Goode Powervest will definitely protect the shoulders, biceps, neck and back. I have used these since their inception. My current vests are highly modified for weight reduction and to allow the power plate and straps to be used with any vest. A power vest will not make anyone a better skier but in my case is keeping me competitive.

4. Bones over biceps, good stack position = less stress

5. Fear = failure
    6ballsMISkierBruce_ButterfieldSkoot1123
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 845 Crazy Baller
    If your tore/separated a bicep tendon you probably needed surgery to repair it. The good news is you probably won't make it worse because separated is separated. If you can ski, go ski. And, ya, it would probably be a good idea to have an ortho look at it just in case there is anything that can still be done.
  • swbcaswbca Posts: 120 Baller
    edited February 5
    @MAG you said "placing that hand in the palm down grip will lessen the load (on the bicep)" There were a couple of recent threads on this forum about the 'right and wrong' way to grip the handle based on foot forward position. I have already started training for right-palm down because I know I had been gripping wrong for best performance. Now you say it will help 'medically' as well. You made my day ! I will follow up on your other suggestions as well . . also mentioned by others on this thread. Thanks.

The forum is a great resource so thanks to everyone !
    Bruce_ButterfieldBG1
  • eyepeelereyepeeler Posts: 194 Baller
    For me, "Your success and your happiness begin with your health". In order to ski well you must have good to excellent health. I consider a bicep injury not a small injury but a decent injury. We use our biceps everyday for many activities. I for one, wouldn't ski unless my bicep felt perfect every ski ride. I wouldn't want to cause further or even permanent injury to the bicep.
    Matt Dillon
    swbca
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,164 Mega Baller
    Many of "us" skiers have bicep' torn . Popeye look. The girls love it!
    When mine dislodged i got a lot of relief from chronic shoulder pain.
    I guarded it when I skied for about 3 months.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

swbca
  • mike_mapplemike_mapple Posts: 154 Water Ski Industry Professional
    ive pulled aiden skiing multiple times, its incredible. The biggest thing my Dad always told me was once you are worried about injury to the point you doubt yourself its time to walk away...hence me stopping skiing, had a really bad crash when I first jumped up to 36mph, after that crash I have not attempted another tournament, or gone 36. If it is a tear, when you free ski does it hurt?
    Perfski.com
    407-859-7544
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

If you have a blister, pop it, pour some lemon juice on it, and then add salt. -Andy Mapple
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,177
    If the bicep is effecting your skiing, I'd venture to say you're doing it wrong.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Hortonozski
  • MZitoMZito Posts: 179 Baller
    Just had surgery 2 days ago. I completely ruptured the distal bicep tendon playing hockey. Ortho sports physician reset the tendon with 2 good anchor points. He is telling me no skiing this season...all I have to do is rehab!!
    Matt Zito...Detroit Mi