Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best looking prostar ever?

6balls6balls Posts: 5,567 Mega Baller
edited February 6 in Boat Talk
Midwest Watersports thinking they have the best looking ever...true? I think it's cool, but not the best ever--got some contenders to post?

One of my fav's:

Dave Ross--die cancer die
swc5150ryans1418skiinxsvtjcWishEljaybeeBulldogklindySteven_HainesdbaconazISP6ballrobmollysilverlakerimodicoliquid dsixballtxskierpcmcon729GWaterskichris_logan

Comments

• LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 783 Mega Baller
    edited February 6
    If it was all blue or red , I would like it more
    Broussardfu_manBill22
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,128 Mega Baller
    Prostar 205.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    Kimbymonswc5150LanceHCookuse2ski_Ok
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 1,096 Mega Baller
    @swbca the 86 Rainbow Brite was a sweet boat for sure.
    swbca
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 783 Mega Baller
    Was 1986 first year of the prostar? Barely squeaked that on in!
    Broussardswbca
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,764 Mega Baller
    @Broussard that’s my buddy’s #25000 PS! It was a sweet find for sure!
    swbca
  • WayneWayne Posts: 557 Solid Baller
    I’m having a really hard time finding a good picture, but the boat Marcus Brown took on the Mastercraft Face to Face tour has been one of my favorites. Outside of that, the dark blue and white classic Stars and Stripes boats.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,567 Mega Baller
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,473 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @LoopSki '87 was the first year of the Prostar. '86 model was called Power Slot (regardless of tranny).
    Scott Calderwood
  • BroussardBroussard Posts: 513 Crazy Baller
    @swc5150 I have been unable to find definitive info on this perplexing issue but from what I can gather 85 and earlier was the Skier 19, 1986 was the ProStar, and 1987-2013 was the ProStar 190.
    Andre Broussard | SkiBama Team Captain | SkiBennetts |
    @Broussard,

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=29236&highlight=prostar+history

From poster C36 (the author and, apparently, authority):

"The model name “MasterCraft Skier” was used from 1968 until 1985 on MasterCraft’s tournament water ski hull.

The model name “ProStar” was introduced eighteen years later in 1986. This change rebranded MasterCraft’s tournament ski boat the “ProStar”.

One year later in 1987 MasterCraft added the “190” to the model name – resulting in the “ProStar 190”. The “ProStar 190” model name has remained on the closed bow version of the tournament ski boat ever since."

• ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,392 Mega Baller
    edited February 7
    93 Limited hands down. The whole TMCno1 rig was awesome too!
    edited February 7
    @MISkier Correct, judging by that thread and other comments by Harold (TMCNo1) that’s what I would go with.

I haven’t been able to find any official brochures or documents from MC to confirm that.
    We've had 2 86's in our family, one still sitting the garage, and the model name listed on the yellow sticker reads "19' Power Slot".
    Scott Calderwood
    Broussard
    @swc5150 Interesting. I would bet that when they tested for Coast Guard approval they weren't sure what the boat would be called. (for example early 2014 ProStar towers had "197" on the tag under the tow point).

MC sent out a brochure in 1986 that said "A sneak peak of the 1986 COMPETITION SKI BOAT by MasterCraft. With the other side saying "A sneak preview of the new TriStar by MasterCraft. There was no mention of model name but you are the first I have heard refer to the 1986 as the Power Slot.
    Andre
    @Broussard That actually makes sense. I remember when we got our first in 1986, and wondered about the "Powerslot" model name, as it was a std 1:1.
    Scott Calderwood
    Broussard
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 457 Crazy Baller
    I owned two Mastercrafts many years ago. If memory serves, the first was a 1977 with a 1:1 transmission. The second was a 1981 power slot. The 81 had a larger diameter prop because it had the 1.5:1 transmission, and it indeed had a power slot in the hull bottom above the propeller. I always thought that the hollowed out bottom to accommodate that big prop was why it was called a "powerslot". The 1977 with the 1:1 transmission did not have the large prop or hollowed out bottom. For that reason I did not think it was a powerslot.
    dchristman
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,212 Mega Baller
    @dbutcher I believe you are correct. Powerslot was a feature, not a model.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,294 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    No other MC will ever be as cool as No. 1. The Orange hull, the significance, the history on how it came about and who was there. The impossible to find reverse mph/km white face Airguide 712. Being an antique ski boat nut there’s nothing like seeing it in person.
    swc5150Horton
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,392 Mega Baller
    The TMCno1 I was thinking about was the red and white 88 or 89 that was towed by the same vintage, white Chevy Astro van with the custom red MC stripes that was popular on the MC Teamtalk site back in the early 2000’s.
  • chrislandychrislandy Posts: 188 Solid Baller
    I think I'm bias, but our 1st MC was a red rainbow, and that has got to be one of my favourite of all time, classic shape, no wake

Second is my old MC, a UK/Europe only model I believe, the 1st gen prostar hull with the "skier" deck, apparently done for that year (87/88 in the UK?) as the deck mould wasn't available during the production run.

ALPJr6ballsswc5150swbca
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,569 Mega Baller
    @chrislandy - you're correct there, in the late 80s MCs were being made under license in the UK - so the 87/88 skier hulls in the UK aren't the same as they are in the US. Alot of people look at your boat and say its an 86 - but the lower hull graphic tells the truth.
    chrislandy
  • WishWish Posts: 8,200 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited February 8
    😂. 😂. 😂

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    skialexliquid dDaveDslow
    If I saw that boat speeding across the water on a particularly sunny/reflective day, I'd probably experience a seizure.
    MDB1056harrison_343
  • swbcaswbca Posts: 128 Baller
    edited February 8
    @Broussard I bought this 1986 ProStar promo boat in 1986 From Midwest Marine - now Midwest Watersports - for $16,000. Sold it for $8000 in 1994 when I moved away from the lake. It was a great boat as long as the prop was perfect. The power slot on that elastic hull required the prop to be better than new or better than just repaired. It took a couple of years to find the perfect prop. I still can't adjust to the prices of new boats. Twice the price of a good German car - not counting the ultra premium German car models.
    BroussardthagerJC McCavit