Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BOATS BOATS AND MORE BOATS....MY CONTEST ENTRY

bananaronbananaron Posts: 465 Crazy Baller
I am sure many of you know I have had many boats over the last several years.Well let me tell you how it all got started.MY dad who I think is the greatest man I have ever known and grew up having nothing.He lived in Litchfield,Mn on a farm and was the valedictorian of his class of 150 students in 1937.After HS he hitchhiked to the university of Mn and graduated Phi bata kappa finishing in 4 yrs with a degree in accounting.He got a job got married and started a family working very hard.He took his family for summer vacations to a resort on a lake in Annandale,Mn area.He knew how much the family enjoyed the summer time at the resort he bought a cabin on the lake in 1958.He got an extra accounting job doing the books for a car and boat dealer and bought his first boat so the kids could ski.My water ski career started behind a spitfire boat with a 22hp scott atwater motor.WOW this boat went 30mph and we soon had to get a chrysler with a 85hp johnson so the kid could slalom and barefoot.My dad got me started as a skier and a lover of the water and boats.I soon was buying hydrostreams with jackplates and 200hp mercs.Going slalom and footin all day long.My dad did not ski much he really worked hard and bought the boats for me to enjoy because he knew I had a passion and love for the sport.So as I grew older and became a better skier I bought my first DD in 1991 and it was a 89 supra ts6m.A great classic ski boat that I had till 2001 when I bought a new 2001 gekko gtr which thanks to Mark overbye for making what I think is still one of the best wakes and tracking boat.Well the gekko got sold to a young guy on my lake and the boat buying frenzy got started.Oh my so many its hard to remember them all.Lets see 01 196, MC 08 197,03 MALIBU LXI,05 MALIBU LXI, 04 MALIBU LX ,09 196,A couple PS 190.And most recently one of my fav boats the 2011 carbon pro.Now I enjoyed the road trips getting the boats and certainly skiing them as I thought of my dad each time I picked a boat up and most certainly when I skied them.Its the memories of those early yrs that drives me to keep enjoying buying the boats and knowing that my dad worked so hard to give me what I have today.A passion and love for a sport I can still take part in and enjoy.Remember guys BOAT ARE LIKE GIRLFRIENDS THERE IS ANOTHER ONE AROUND THE CORNER......
Ron Engblom Brainerd lakes,minnesota
bdoughertyalancrockdogWishALPJrthagerClydesdaleThe_MS503KentoOldkierBongoKKellyBruce_Butterfield6ballscougfankurtskialexdvskierAndreBulldogdvskiingswc5150robmollysilverlakeNautique99JonBRpc29

Comments

• Woodybc62Woodybc62 Posts: 26 Baller
    Loved the post. I had a Hydrostream w the Jack plate phase in my boat “girlfriend “ past. And still have a vintage Barefoot Sanger as a second boat. The Streams were sexy beasts tho. Thanks for the trip down memory lane
    bananaron
  • bananaronbananaron Posts: 465 Crazy Baller
    Oh I also had a pristine 99 malibu response that was a boat you could sell as new.That boat was one in a million.
    Ron Engblom Brainerd lakes,minnesota
  • skialexskialex Posts: 1,168 Mega Baller
    Great post! Hard to beat!! Difficult not to get emotional... was thinking of my dad that passed his passion for sports to me at a very young age, especially His passion for alpine and water skiing and I still enjoy them to this day...
    6ballsbananaronAndrecougfan
  • marknmarkn Posts: 405 Crazy Baller
    Great post and way to honor our fathers. My dad was a WWII vet who was wounded, was in the OSS (before the CIA), wrote his high school Code, was on the Board of the I.U. Kelly School of Business and a ton of other amazing accomplishments. Hell of an athlete who instilled a competitive drive in me. He too worked hard, never complaining and so unassuming and modest. I think that is just the way that generation was. Wish I was half the man he was.
    bananaronSkoot1123MarkTimm
  • cougfancougfan Posts: 307 Crazy Baller
    Looks like we need to have a thread talking about how great our fathers were and all they did and sacrificed for their families 👍 so far the fathers mentioned here are setting the bar pretty high!
    RednucleusmarknSkoot1123skialex
  • 2Valve2Valve Posts: 370 Crazy Baller
    @bananaron I too had a great dad to thank for getting us kids on the water. He started pulling us with a 1960 Lone Star with a 40horse Johnson. That soon gave out so he convinced my mom to get a Reinell with a fantastic 70horse Johnson. (one of the best outboards ever made IMHO). He never skiied but always would be in the boat with a cold one, enjoying just being around the water, always with a huge smile. A special person. Survivor or D-Day and Battle of the Bulge. A man's man. Not many left these days.
    Skoot1123Jody_SealbananaronKKelly
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,173 Mega Baller
    I know about the boat bug.
    Still have my dad's old boat. My son has my 82 American Skier. Also in the current herd an 09 SkiNautique a 90 Shamrock a 95 unknown center console 20' outboard.
    Had in the past 5 200's, a fish Nautique and 4 bubble but ski Nautiques.
    My dad's old boat is still my favorite as it is the boat I learned to slalom behind.

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

cougfanbananaronKKelly
  • 75Tique75Tique Posts: 155 Crazy Baller
    @Jody_Seal Really like your Rickshaw's lines and colors. I like the old school flatties (yours, Stevens, Rayson) vs the newer ones that look like kneeboards with those silly 9 foot tall engines in the back. That's one of two of your boats I'd like. I thought you sold the red and white one, but it appears you still have it. That's always been one of my favorites.
    “So, how was your weekend?”
    “Well, let me see…sun burn, stiff neck, screwed up back, assorted aches and pains….yup, my weekend was great, thanks for asking.”
  • OldGuysRuleOldGuysRule Posts: 122 Solid Baller
    Bananaron's story along with others brought back fond similar memories. Dad didn't ski but liked to drive and pull us kids. The first boat was a cedar strip runabout with a 22 HP Buccaner. It leaked like a sieve when first launched each spring. Then he bought a small cottage and purchased a new fiberglass Crosby with mahogany decks and a 40 HP Mercury Mark 55. It was a "dream boat!" My father died at an early age but we kept the boat and the cottage and got years of service from both. Segway to 1990's and I bought a lake home and a used '91 Prostar. Then I was on the 5 year plan with a '96 Sammy Duvall Prostar, a 2000 Nautique, a 2005 black P
    rostar, a 2010 grey Prostar, and finally a 2015 Prostar which I presently have but......there's a new 2021 prostar ordered and due for delivery this coming summer.
    Thanks dad for the memories.
    bananaroncougfanbdougherty