Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who gets the Panda for Board Selection?

skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,402 Mega Baller
edited February 22 in Rules/Politics/Issues

Comments

• skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,402 Mega Baller

Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
    mbabiashski6jonesBMG73jayskisc23
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,065 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    USOC requires 33 1/3 % athlete representation on all boards and committees. The athletes selected their own slate of representatives. Apparently it was difficult to get volunteers and it was fortunate we were able to get four good athletes willing to take the job.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    Bruce_ButterfieldslowBobFrandy meny
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,855 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @skidawg did you volunteer to be an athlete representative or board member?
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    slowScottScottISP6ball
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,402 Mega Baller
    Nope
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,051 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    WTF
    Shut up and ski
  • MichaelGoodmanMichaelGoodman Posts: 184 Baller
    @mfjaegersr well said.
    amyrooker
  • elrelr Posts: 328 Mega Baller
    I must have missed the notification that athlete board members were being recruited . . .
    Ed Rink - LSF Texas
    I don’t know what methodology was used.
  • amyrookeramyrooker Posts: 7 Baller
    I’m sure he must have been selected for the intimate knowledge of Safe Sport compliance that he will bring to the board
    Rednucleus
  • GeppettoGeppetto Posts: 22 Baller
    @lpskier
    Have you carefully read the Washington Post article?
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,754 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I hope that someone is really getting their April fool's joke going early.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • AliAli Posts: 199 Baller
    Maybe USOC should have rules which prevent offenders being eligible? If you have taken the SafeSport course which I urge everyone to do, you know what reasons could be in play here.

I am pretty disgusted.
    amyrooker
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 1,068 Mega Baller
    Here we go again.....
    slowAndreISP6ballOldkier
    @Geppetto Yes. But I am explaining the process; you want to discuss an individual. That’s not my topic.
    slowrockdog
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,164 Mega Baller
    Having sat on a couple national committees over the years and a one time director it was my experience that for the most part elite athlete participion in these positions has been dismal. Not withstanding a couple standout athletes Freddy Kruger, lori Covington and a couple others took their participion as elite representatives on these boards and committees seriously. Problem was they or those that did take it seriously were spred very thin on these boards and committee's. Have sat in many a important meeting where these elite athletes were no show. Even have had to postpone critical votes due to lack of participation by these athletes.
    Our association with the USOC is not going to end well nor is the intended direction and out come going to be what this sport needs or deserves.
    As far as filling positions on these boards they needed to find a few more warm body's. One of their picks just so happens to have had previous sanctions applied to them. Should those past sanctions have deterred that appointment?
    Our organization is rather hypocritical !
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

JackQliquid drandy menyBS74
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,164 Mega Baller
    @amyrooker
    Sorry Amy i guess you missed my sarcasm. I and many agree whole hardheartedly with your post.
    That is the problem in this sport is that many times personnel are inputted into leadership roles that have no business being their. this Athlete in question has no business being in a leadership role within this organization period!!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

amyrookerAshP
  • amyrookeramyrooker Posts: 7 Baller
    @Jody_Seal thank you for clarifying! It’s still early for me and this place is a minefield - hard to know who is on your side sometimes. Thank you for agreeing
    Jody_SealAli
    I think if you want to get more volunteers for athlete board member positions the USOC requirement for Athletes as Board Members should be adopted in its broadest form (athletes who are actively engaged in amateur athletic competition) rather than the "Elite Athlete" requirements of the USAWSWS bylaws. The "elite athlete" definition is far to restrictive.

"[USOC] Athletes as Board Members

Athletes are key stakeholders to the NGB. The Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act requires that at least twenty percent of an NGB’s board is comprised of athletes who are actively engaged in amateur athletic competition or who have represented the United States in an international amateur athletic competition in within the preceding ten (10) years."

"[USAWSWS bylaws paragraph VI.D.3]

3 For purposes of these Bylaws, “elite athletes” are defined as athletes selected by the Athlete Advisory Council to represent the athletes on the boards and committees of USA-WSWS and Sport Disciplines. At the time of election, “elite athletes” shall have demonstrated their qualifications as athletes by:
    (a) Representing the United States in international water ski competition, either as Team members or as individual qualifiers, within the preceding ten (10) years. Such international competitions shall include, but not be limited to, World Championships, Pan American Championships, Pan American Games, World Trophy and Operation Gold events; OR
    (b) Demonstrating within the two (2) preceding years, that they actively engaged in amateur athletic competition by finishing in the top half of the Sport Disciplines: (i) National Championships “Open Age” Division; (ii) Elite Team Trials; or (iii) finishing in the top half of the Open Age Division Ranking List; AND
    (c) Meeting these qualifications by competing in “open age” classifications, not from age-restricted classifications such as “juniors”, ‘’seniors”, or “veterans”. Should a Sport Discipline not have an “open age” classification, qualification for this requirement shall be determined by the Athlete Advisory Council and approved by the USA-WSWS Board.

Ed Rink - LSF Texas
    jayski
    Absent the elite athlete language, we wouldn’t have to worry at all about athlete participation as well over a third of the AWSA “non athlete” board members are current tournament skiers. Contrast this with, say, bobsledding, where the board (last I knew) is largely made up of former athletes that no longer slide but want to remain involved in the sport.
  • GeppettoGeppetto Posts: 22 Baller
    @elr @lpskier

No one gives a shit about what organizational mechanism allowed this to happen. The fact remains that we have someone who is on probation for a safe sport violation on the board.
    Interjonski6jonesjayski
    @Geppetto - I guess suggestions as to how to prevent this from happening again aren't what you are after.
    Ed Rink - LSF Texas
  • ClydesdaleClydesdale Posts: 171 Baller
    No profile? Hmmm. Scot Chipman?
    ScottScottlpskierliquid dbigtex2011