Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mounting front binding at an angle??

Hi Guys interested in opinions on my thoughts. Coming back from bad leg fracture. First rides felt very weird like driving in one direction when trying to ride straight. Been fighting it but difficult to get over. Closer investigate point to misalignment of leg to foot from previous. Was a bit worried as was pretty disfigured and needed heaps of screws etc to repair but hoping all good as healed. Anyway feels alright now to ski but finding this misalignment maybe a real issue. Learning to ski all over again. Originally thinking just persevere and get used to it but now thinking of binding adjustment. If I twist front binding/ foot about 10 mm more closed, I feel more as I used to. I haven’t modified binding yet to suit the ski and now wondering if I am crazy?? Is it just a case of, if It feels good do it???
Just interested. Does anyone twist there front binding out of direct front alignment for whatever reason?? Thanks.

Comments

• scuppersscuppers Posts: 468 Baller
    I had a similar issue - Horton advised against it (adamantly) Of course I tried it anyway! Stopped the pain first ride. Can’t say it improved my buoy count but it certainly didn’t hurt it.
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
    Coopline
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,875 Mega Baller
    If your foot is literally out of alignment with your shin, adjusting the boot to match certainly makes sense to me.

Not a "typical" adjustment, but also not an inherently terrible thing to try.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    CooplineSkoot1123
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,178 Administrator
    edited February 21
    @scruppers
    Yes, I tend to firmly discourage aberrant ski setup. In the case of a painful injury, anything goes. What I am trying to discourage is skiers randomly exploring odd setups to the long-term detriment of their skiing. If angling your binding is the only way you can ski pain-free then do it.

If you are not injured or anatomically abnormal I find it very unlikely that angling your front foot will produce positive results.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes 

CooplineThan_Boganbishop8950Broussard
  • S1PittsS1Pitts Posts: 261 Solid Baller
    @Coopline I have the exact same issue from an severe ankle fracture and broken leg back in 2002. I have to rotate my front foot to make the leg neutral as well. Also I need to lift the instep side of the boot 1/4 inch because it also healed with a roll to the outside. This allows me to ski straight ahead when standing on my front leg alone. Without these tweaks when I try to ski straight ahead on one leg it is anything but.
    I struggled to ski for 5 yrs without the changes and paid dearly with many crashes. Once I found the sweet spot I rarely crash anymore.
    Do what you need to do in order to make your stance feel as natural as possible. Without those changes I probably would have given up skiing long ago.
    Skoot1123lpskierSkiBadgerCoopline
  • Thanks Guys. Luv to hear can assist though S1. Cheers Coops.