Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feedback on 2012 Malibu TXi

Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 2,031 Mega Baller
Hey Ballers - I have a friend who had someone ask if he would like to buy his 2012 Malibu Response TXi. It has 120 hrs on it and has been “pampered”. I don’t really have any experience with a Malibu other than skiing behind one 13 years ago. I figured you folks would be the best to give me some feedback - I appreciate it. Picture of the boat is attached - it is a sharp looking boat.

MISkieraupatkingskialex

Comments

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,051 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    How much? Nice boat at low hours if right price
    Shut up and ski
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 2,031 Mega Baller
    @The_MS - not sure of the price. My friend didn’t give any ballpark either.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,754 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited February 22
    Have a picture of the dash? If it has the upgraded dash, make sure to check that lower right touch screen for delamination around the edges. They are quite expensive to replace, I'm looking at likely having to buy one this season. Only other comment is that the 2012 steering wheel really sucks due to the single spoke at the bottom, luckily it is an easy problem to solve with a couple hundred bucks for a steering wheel from the newer boats.
    (random picture from boat trader to show dash)

Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    Skoot1123
    Great advice - thanks @oldjeep!
  • jayskijayski Posts: 995 Mega Baller
    Had one, was really good, liked it better than the new ones
    Skoot1123
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 497 Crazy Baller
    The TXI is a great boat! The cut diamond hull produces a flat and soft ski wake even at slower speeds.
    A very sought after boat. Build quality is great and it’s interior layout is pretty darn good. The two hatch trunk is easily accessible from inside the boat and from the platform and it holds various slalom skis.
    It’s handling is very sportscar-like and tracking (if correctly balanced) is great.
    The one pictured above though seems not to have ZeroOff which for me would be a no-go. Can be retrofitted but probably a fairly large undertaking.
    ZO boats have dual pucks like this one:

Skoot1123
  • DWDW Posts: 2,296 Mega Baller
    Later model TXI's have an engine placement change, farther forward, at the time the Crusader engine was used, IIRC 2016 but need to confirm. Chad Scott would know the answer as he noted that on this site.
    Skoot1123
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 558 Crazy Baller
    2015 and 2016 had the engine moved fwd 4 inches. Just put a little weight in the nose and you'll have an awesome boat. I've had a 12,13,14,15,16 17 and a 2020. Great boats

Skoot1123MISkierryno65
  • 2Valve2Valve Posts: 368 Crazy Baller
    I ski behind one a few times a week and it's a gorgeous boat, inside and out. Wakes are world class.
    Skoot1123
    Excellent feedback. Thanks gents!
    Got some additional pictures of the dash. It has the Malibu speed control and it is the 6.0 liter engine.
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 497 Crazy Baller
    The Malibu Speed Control was a std feature back then.
    Paddlewheel or RPM driven. Works excellent for tubing. LOL
    For slalom - pretty worthless. 6 Liter Engine is a big plus!
    Agree with DavidN on the Malibu speed control, does not compare or even in the same zip code as PP / ZO.
    That’s what I figured on the speed control. He could easily add it though.
    The malibu speed control can also use a gps module if you plug it in. For rec skiing it is just fine.
    Chuck P
  • SethroSethro Posts: 325 Crazy Baller
    edited February 23
    I foolishly passed on my buddy's 2012 TXi last fall when he upgraded to a 2019 TXi. He had to replace that touch screen @oldjeep mentioned just prior to selling. I think they all have that touch screen on the lower right. The option was the large touch screen in the middle I think. Price was ridiculous...I think $1200 but can't remember for sure. For comparison sake, it had the 5.7, 600 hours, Zero Off, and overall immaculate condition for 30K. Dealer put it on the lot for 39K but I don't know what it sold for.
    edited February 23
    The upper middle isn't a touch screen. The buttons up each side control it. The touch screen lower right is over 2k
    https://www.bakesonline.com/malibu-boats-touch-screen-display.html
    Chuck P
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,556 Mega Baller
    Price price. It’s a great boat and near new from hours of the price is good jump and run the snot out of it for 10 years losing very little
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    oldjeep
    My buddy told me the price last night. I about fell on the floor. Not sure if the seller just wants to get rid of it and get his new boat or what. It is roughly half of what you see on Ski-It-Again. (Not sure if those prices are what they are actually getting but it does have a good resemblance to the market)
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,556 Mega Baller
    120 hrs, depreciated, great price...buy buy buy. Sharp boat, too.

Earlier in my life this would be a done deal, I'll ship it...but my kids are gone and my spine is getting old--probably no more new to me boats other than if I strike it rich and buy some cool ocean rig to park at my own Carribean island...but I digress.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Skoot1123
  • DockoelbotoDockoelboto Posts: 142 Baller
    I have a 2013 TXi. Great boat, love the wake, if the price is right, can't go wrong.
    Skoot1123
    Check NADA for approximate value as another data point.
    Good color combo, big 3 ski tug > comparable wake to any ski tug, low hours, good condition, great price = can't go wrong > he should buy it.
    Skoot1123
    @DW - yep, that is what I have advised as well. Haven’t heard yet if he got it or not, I’m sure he will tell me if he does though.
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 1,048 Mega Baller
    Great boat, hated the Single spoke steering wheel! I have the new style replacement if anybody is looking!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    oldjeep
    I swapped mine out after using it for about a week.

Chuck P
    Skoot1123MISkier
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,620 Mega Baller
    would be interested in details if your buddy decides not to pull the trigger.
    boats are like girlfriends you love them however there is another one around the corner - bananaron, July 21, 2020
    edited February 25
    Inspiration, Citroen DS19:

Dealer back in the day noted that the Malibu single spoke wheel was designed to be self centering, the spoke does have some mass IIRC.
    oldjeep
    It definitely had mass. My issue is that I tend to steer left handed just pulling down against a spoke with my thumb and a light grip. The stock wheel requires you to actually grip the wheel tightly and makes it harder to index it to the correct spot.
    Chuck P