Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

US Gear Handles

dan1166dan1166 Posts: 12 Baller
Does anyone know about Randy from US Gear Handles? His website is off. Did he sell the business? If so, who took over? I need some new handles. Randy's handles were the best.
Dan

Comments

• lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,128 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited March 2
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • dan1166dan1166 Posts: 12 Baller
    I tried that handle. Did not like it. Randy's had a better grip. I think he used a softer rubber. The master
    line was very slippery. But thanks for the reply.
    The_MS
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 640 Crazy Baller
    Slippery? I've got two and would not describe them as slippery in any way. The rubber is perfect, though my first one bent but that's another story..
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,128 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    ML is your only option, as far as I know. Try a different glove.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • VONMANVONMAN Posts: 240 Crazy Baller
    I tried 5 months back to get in touch with Randy. No response.
    Ernie Schlager

A Good One Ball Gives You Six
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,499 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Maybe a Phx area baller could drive by his shop, but I'm pretty certain he's out of the game.
    Scott Calderwood
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 464 Crazy Baller
    Aggressive rubbing with coarse sand paper has always fixed a slippery handle for me. I don't worry about ruining a handle with sand paper. If it's slippery, it's already no good.
    klindy
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,111
    it is also the diameter options Randy offered. Masterline does not offer anything but 1.00" diameter in their Ergo handle.
    Bob Grizzi
    BG1
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,132 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I wish ML would copy his handles now that he is out of business. They are light, they float, they last a long time and there is nothing like them out there. I’m now on my 3rd summer with my current US gear and I gave a new one ready to go when this one gives up. At some point I will need to make the switch back to something
    Shut up and ski
    ISP6balldchristman
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 1,066 Mega Baller
    edited March 3
    @The_MS you should try my ML ergo when I come over in a couple weeks! Oh I forgot to ask are you going to be home on 3/12-3/14 if not leave the key under the mat!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • S1PittsS1Pitts Posts: 269 Solid Baller
    2 yrs ago I bought my 4th US Gear Handle. Regret not buying several of them when they were available. I hope Randy is doing well. He gave us a great product.
    @teammalibu We will be here.
    Shut up and ski
  • scuppersscuppers Posts: 470 Baller
    The US Gear handles were the best! Period. Randy was not. ML's are a whole different product. I switched to Brenda's handles and they are great!! Spectra rope, accurate, always pull even. I'm happy Randy forced me to switch.
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
    mfjaegersrSkoot1123
  • PUoldmaidPUoldmaid Posts: 50 Baller
    So sad to hear - US Gear was the best! Could never get into anything else. Maybe Randy has some extra product we can buy off him? The supply at Nationals was endless so happy to take that off his hands!
    Some one needs to buy his equipment and process so I can continue to buy handles.
    Bob Grizzi
    BG1The_MS
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,437 Administrator
    so you guys may have noticed that I have a negative attitude towards US Gear. There's no doubt a lot of people love the products. I did business with Randy briefly and found him personally to be extremely nice. Unfortunately he had a hard time paying his bills and would take orders from customers and not ship product for months and months. It's been a number of years so I forget exactly how much but I think he owes me at least a few hundred dollars.

It is always been hard for me to read recommendations for the products knowing that customers will order and may or may not ever get the product.

Personally I hope Randy is fine and healthy. Professionally I'm glad to see US Gear is gone.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

Mick04
    @The_MS what part of what I wrote do you disagree with? I get it that a lot of skiers love the handles but you can not deny that Randy would take paid orders and then go dark for months.

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

edited March 3
    I dont agree with the quote that your glad to see the product gone.
    He may owe you a few hundred bucks but you probably have that in free product from the unboxing back in the day. Crap, you have the Robot advertising for Ski or Die right now and my guess is they did not buy any advertising space
    Shut up and ski
    edited March 3

The_MSMattPrandy meny
    I’m just bummed about no more US Gear after my next one wears out.
    Shut up and ski
    that i understand

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,799 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Silly question, but can't you regrip and restring the handles? Or is there something super special about their grip material and you can't get ahold of it?
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    @oldjeep I'm not going to give you a panda or a quadruple panda yet but what do you mean by regrip?

Remove the grip, put a new one on. The same thing you do with any other piece of sports equipment that has a rubber/foam grip over a metal layer.
    Chuck P
    edited March 3
    Chuck P
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,620 Mega Baller
    @oldjeep my impression was that the material was first bonded to the bar and then the bar bent.

Otherwise I'd think the rubber would spin over the bar too easily.
    edited March 3
    Could be, but it is typical to use glue of sorts to hold grips in place in other applications. I don't recall spinning any BMX or motorcycle grips and I typically mounted them with hairspray.

I'm assuming a guy making a few dozen to a couple hundred handles a year didn't have a huge amount of custom parts going into it. Tubing, some grip material and a tube bender.
    Chuck P
  • S1PittsS1Pitts Posts: 269 Solid Baller
    I had several conversations over the years with Randy on his process. It would be virtually impossible to re-grip the handle to the original specs.
    I have been playing around with an older worn out handle trying to find a product or process that would revive it's usefulness. So far nothing worked out well.
    HortonThe_MS
    I have actually restrung a couple myself, but you cannot re-grip them. Also, he is able to get the custom diameter size with some type of rubber grinding process, it might even have been some type of laser grinder from what I understand.
    Bob Grizzi
  • BooBoo Posts: 22 Baller
    I bought two slalom handles from Randy about five or six years ago—one for me another for husband. Neither lasted full season. Grip was still good but rope that came together at the V leading into the clear tube protector frayed almost apart on both sides. I have since bought 2 handles from Brenda. No problems and love the workmanship. Was really disappointed with US Gear product.