ION - NRG R2 How to Decide ?

Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,311 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
Please help me understand, D3 has two top of the range skis in their line up, the ION and the NRG R2, both supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, is there specific styles of skiing that one particular ski is suited to, clearly they are different and have different attributes, with limited Demo possibilities, how would you go about evaluating either ski, most of the dealers generally stock one brand in the UK, the Dealer that stocks the D3 products, is definitely not my go to place for water ski equipment (We Will Leave It There).
Generally each year I travel to Florida, which gives me the opportunity to Demo a couple of skis, but obviously in the current covid situation, isn,t going to happen anytime soon.
I do know a couple of skiers that ditched the NRG for the EVO and made improvements in their bouy count.
I know skis evolve over time, but when a manufacturer continues with both skis, they must think that one is better than the other for certain people.

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

skiboynyLovellballsohard

Comments

• addkerraddkerr Posts: 184 Baller
    sent you a DM
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 550 Crazy Baller
    Terry Winter did a comparison at 39off:

jayskiralslowphntmskiballsohard
  • JayproJaypro Posts: 379 Crazy Baller
    @FWinter

Ask Freddie
    FWinter
  • PatMPatM Posts: 837 Crazy Baller
    With D3's demo program it is easy to find out what fits for you. They sent me the EVO S and the NRG R1 last year. After skiing on both I found the NRG clearly suits my style. For others I know that it was just the opposite. SO if you are interested try them both.
    ISP6ball
  • mike_mapplemike_mapple Posts: 219 Water Ski Industry Professional
    edited March 3
    • R2 is a wider ski / ION is narrower body/traditional shaped ski
    • R2 Mid and Forebody (R2 approx. a ski size wider compared to ION)
    o 66” R2 forebody is almost the same width as a 67” ION
    o Wider means the skier can typically ride a shorter size ski
    • R2 Tail Narrower (last 15” ski) – allows the tail to hold well and sit deeper

Rocker
    • More Tail Rocker than ION - .200” ( ¼” = .250”)
    o NRG – quick turns
    o ION – carving turns
    • R2 and ION both have large Sweet Spot – 1” more compared to R1 and EVO

Concave
    • Deeper Concave than ION – more hold and grip

Bevels
    • Similar bevels - from tip to tail – smooth and predictable

this info was provided to me by D3
    Perfski.com
    407-859-7544
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

If you have a blister, pop it, pour some lemon juice on it, and then add salt. -Andy Mapple
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 1,083 Crazy Baller
    Mike excellent description.
  • mike_mapplemike_mapple Posts: 219 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @Deanoski I can not take credit for that, as that is what I was given so I could learn about them. I believe D3 actually wrote it for the dealers / websites.
    Perfski.com
    407-859-7544
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

If you have a blister, pop it, pour some lemon juice on it, and then add salt. -Andy Mapple
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 241 Solid Baller
    The Terry Winter split screen is cool.

Other than the difference in pull out for gate, I’d say he looks really similar on both skis. Am I missing something?
    JordanDaveD
  • mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 626 Crazy Baller
    He can ski on anything but
    After slowing it down. He skis an earlier line on the NRG.
    Not sure the video helps people’s decisions but cool video.
    skibrainaupatkingBruce_Butterfield
  • jayskijayski Posts: 1,092 Mega Baller
    @buoyboy1 until you ride the R2
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,651 Mega Baller
    Always good to demo if it works for you. I feel like it doesn't work for me because I don’t ski often enough and that it takes me a good couple months, 15 to 20 sets to adjust to the new ride. So I went with the factory team’s advise.