Handle diameter

dislanddisland Posts: 1,497 Mega Baller
edited June 1 in Skis Fins Bindings
Starting a new thread on Handle Diameter. I am having some elbow pain and several folks have advised getting a larger diameter handle. I have relatively small hands and have historically used a bent 1" handle. Before a drop $120 on an experiment I am curious if folks have experience moving to a larger diameter. What size you like, Why you did it (elbow pain, trying to learn to not grip too tight etc), and if it worked.
Dave Island- Princeton Lakes

Comments

• klindyklindy Posts: 2,764 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @disland i think the best solution is DIFFERENT diameters. So alternate between a larger diameter and a smaller diameter handle occasionally. The more it hurts, the more frequently you switch.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board

dislandgsm_peterTravisNW
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 905 Crazy Baller
    edited March 11
    @disland i have small hands also. I started out with a 1.00. And thru time I’m am using a 1.092 or even a 1.125. I have not had any elbow issues and I use a straight bar. You need to try a couple sizes bigger. It may take a couple of sets to get used to it but I will most likely fix your elbow issue. One other thing may be contributing is the rope may be wore out. If the rope is dead it will feel real stiff
    disland
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,889 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Bigger the better for me. I have a 1.125 and if what I do to my motorcycle grips are an indication, a 1.5 would make me even happier.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    ski6jones
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 697 Mega Baller
    I agree with bigger diameter = less pain. Also different handles helping. Last season I used three different handles depending on boat & location. Mild elbow pain was always worst after handle less than 1". Least pain with curved bar.
    drfred
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,492 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I use a .940. Allows you to use your fingers more then your hands
    Shut up and ski
    alex38503Kentoski6jonesZman
  • buoyboy1buoyboy1 Posts: 154 Baller
    There are two videos that I have used to stop this issue. Both have done wonders for me. In the 2nd video he recommends to never let the barbell (ski handle for our case) to get down into the fingers as it puts a lot of stress on the "golfers elbow" area. His explanation starts at 3:10 mark on 2nd video. I have used his videos for many years.
    He knows his stuff.

drfred
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 389 Crazy Baller

I agree on bigger is better, and to alternate. I use a 1.100 and sometimes a 1.125.

I feel like the biggest difference for me was going to the anti roll tie like the Radar Bar Lock pictured above. Doesn't put as much twisting on the hands.
    hammerski
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 389 Crazy Baller
    Sorry, bad pic.

• KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,310 Mega Baller
    Also, try getting up with both palms down or a completely reversed grip. It helped me through a season with elbow pain.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    hammerskiski6jonesLuzzcruznski
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 840 Crazy Baller
    +1 for reverse your grip. Ended my pain immediately
  • hammerskihammerski Posts: 109 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Getting with both palms down, larger bent handle fixed my elbow👍🏻
    Jim Hammer
    Jim Hammer Insurance
    Winlock, WA
  • 6_Buoys6_Buoys Posts: 47 Baller
    @buoyboy1 that was great, thanks for posting.
    disland
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,497 Mega Baller
    Update, trying a 1.183 tomorrow, the biggest one you can get, will report back
    ski6jones
  • jayskijayski Posts: 1,091 Mega Baller
    1.183 for me...always used the biggest one out there...oly bars are thick so why shouldnt my handle be??
    ski6jonesthagerThe_MS
  • pregompregom Posts: 355 Solid Baller
    Do you guys think that 12" vs 13" makes a difference in regards to elbow pain?
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 905 Crazy Baller
    @pregom no the length is just a matter or preference. The diameter is what may take away the elbow pain. Even putting a bend into the handle may help.
    ISP6ball
  • AJL60AJL60 Posts: 3
    Over a five year period I have had surgery to both elbows, I found that using kevlar liners has prevented any further elbow issues. 940 diameter.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,310 Mega Baller
    The 1.183 takes some getting used to, but its all I use now. Much easier on the hands as well.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    ski6jones
  • ClydesdaleClydesdale Posts: 299 Solid Baller
    @pregom you might be onto something. As you grip the handle, the closer your hands the greater your elbow angle (meaning less straight). A wider grip would seem more ergonomic.
    BG1
  • pregompregom Posts: 355 Solid Baller
    @Clydesdale yes, that's what I was thinking, similarly to the ergonomic keyboards that help prevent getting carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrists. Hanging onto the handle might be different than dealing with wrists, though, because, when you have the handle nice and tight, close to your hips with straight arms, I don't see much of a change in joint angles with a 12" vs 13". But I may be wrong, hence I wanted to ask here.
    Clydesdale
    All, I tried 1.183 yesterday, took me a couple of passes to get used to it. It was definitely hitting a different part of my forearm and my elbow di not hurt. I did start to lose my grip by the end of the set. I htink 1.183 is a little too big for my small hands. I am going to try 1.092 next
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,482 Administrator
    Bump for @ColeGiacopuzzi

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

• HortonHorton Posts: 31,482 Administrator
    this thread just cost me a bunch of money.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

BlueSkimfjaegersr
  • 6_Buoys6_Buoys Posts: 47 Baller
    edited June 1
    @Horton spend a few more bucks and get one of these for rolling the forearms. Under $15 and works great.

I have had surgery twice on the same elbow. Went to bent handle, larger diameter, get up with both hands over the top of handle, and tape the forearms. It all helps, but has not completely cleaned up the pain. Next is some acupuncture.
  • C5QuestC5Quest Posts: 464 Baller
    Master line pro lock gloves or Clincher types for the last 25+ years. Can’t ski with anything else now. Use a radius 1.062 handle. Transfers the pull to upper arm and shoulders. No more elbow pain. Straight arms was probably biggest help. Lean away, lock in, blast off.
    @C5Quest well havent tried that yet, will report back