Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gutted versions of newer boats

schnipdipschnipdip Posts: 3 New Baller
edited March 25 in Classic Threads
I really like the new boats. I think it's a common complaint among the outsiders of the "1% of the 1% of the 1%'ers" that new boats are insanely expensive. Boats have always been relatively expensive, that's a given. But todays market is a bit out of control. I often hear, "water skiing is dying because people aren't interested", I would like to call baloney on that. Sure, it may not be AS popular, but it's still within the "water sport group" (wakeboarding, surfing, barefooting, and skiing). It has taken a back seat to the more popular sports, like wakeboarding, but it's still relatively popular.

To be blunt, the sport didn't die because of interest, the boat manufacturers killed it. They walled anyone from coming in to the sport or wanting to gain traction because of the buy in price (if you are inexperienced and don't understand the used boat market) is insanely high. They turn away potential prospects from ever attempting to join the sport. It's a giant snowball effect. As an example, lets say you're a first time car buyer. You know nothing about cars, but you know that buying a used car may be a money sink or have lots of issues. So you buy new. Same thing with boats.

I'd really like to see a new boat, like the Boomerang, that is pure analog. No fancy software or gearing. Just the nuts and bolts - engine, hull, pylon, steadypass. It's something I'd like to see. They would still retain their high end clientele, while satisfying the needs of the "poor".

Is it too unreasonable to ask for an affordable boat that has the latest hull design and a decent engine?
Tagged:
MichaelWiebedbaconaz

Comments

• AndreAndre Posts: 1,573 Mega Baller
    Dear @schnipdip
    Ever heard of Carbon Pro?
    DavidNMitchellM
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,621 Mega Baller
    It's been tried--people don't buy the price point boats new--they buy a used big 3 instead and have a higher quality boat. No money is made on a stripper boat by the manufacturer.
    I get your situation--and I'd say find the best, lowest hour, used big 3 you can get your hands on at your price point.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    WishBroussardaupatking
  • schnipdipschnipdip Posts: 3 New Baller
    @jjackkrash is it that common?
  • MichaelWiebeMichaelWiebe Posts: 109 Baller
    Maybe check Alibaba for a Chinese made ski boat. That could be a disrupter. We see some Chinese made taxis in America already. I'm pretty sure the price is right. The rest, quality and performance, if not ok yet, will sort itself soon. Their cars for the general public are coming too. I see them in other continents already.
    I too believe there's a place for a lower price disrupter ski boat. I'm not sure I'm right though, since someone would have already done it.
    schnipdip
  • schnipdipschnipdip Posts: 3 New Baller
    edited March 23
    @Horton I would expect the prices to, relatively, reflect car model pricing. I guess there isn't enough demand to justify offering a more trimmed down version.

I'm not necessarily looking for a new boat at the moment. This was more of a reflection post criticizing the manufacturers, and the sport itself, for why the sport is "dying". It's like the Eric Andre meme... *Boat manufacturers outprice everyone* oh my god the sport is dying :0

I'd be interested in knowing how much their (boat manufacturers) gross profits are. This is just a pet peeve of mine. You can't grow a sport when you are only marketing to the .0001% of people who can afford it.

I am interested in the growth of the sport because it's difficult to get new members for our club. Our club used to have 50ish active members back in the day. Now we are lucky if we have 5. Out of the 5, two are under under the age of 50. Average age in the club roughly ranges from 55 to 65. Our area used to have boating competitions, competitive skiing events, ski shows and fundraisers! Now we are lucky to get out on the water.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,403 Administrator
    @schnipdip ok what would you take out of a ProStar, Txi or 200?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• sgreggsgregg Posts: 23 Baller
    Hard to go wrong with something like this for an “entry-level” analog, simple to work on ski boat

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=56087
    GPJB_S6ballsCalisdad57
    @jjackkrash yeah I need to find the best one of the old threads and just make it a perennial.

@MichaelWiebe I considered giving you a panda for your post but just don't have the energy to do it.

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,239 Mega Baller
    C'est la vie.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,218 Open or Level 9 Skier
    @schnipdip i don’t like how expensive new boats are either. While this isn’t helping grow the sport, it isn’t killing the sport alone.

A counter point is that the wake and surf market is booming and those boats cost 1.5-3x what a new ski boat cost. You can pay more than $300k for the top of the line surf boat and I believe all of the top manufacturers are selling every boat they can make. So, price of the boat isn’t a problem there.

Therefore, As many in this forum know, it makes more sense for boat companies to build wake vs ski boats. Combine that with the shrinking market for ski boats and there is little incentive for the boat companies do anything differently. A few have tried to make a run at an affordable option (Carbon Pro!) and didn’t make it for different reasons.
    schnipdipBroussard
  • APBAPB Posts: 352 Crazy Baller
    conceptualize it, design it, r&d it, manufacture a proto type or two, make design changes then take it to kickstarter. easy breezy..... :)
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 864 Crazy Baller
    edited March 23
    @schnipdip, I am fairly confident I could bang out the next 50 or so posts in about an hour and have it look pretty close to the thread you will see 3 days from now, but I am too lazy to prove it. And this thread can the therapeutic for some people so I don't want to short circuit the process.
    schnipdipThan_Bogan
  • slowslow Posts: 450 Crazy Baller
    The price of wake surfing boats has not killed off wake surfing. Just saying.
    MDB1056
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 214 Baller
    edited March 23
    Buyers always control markets in the end. If there’s enough buyers, then the makers will figure out a way to supply them.

This is a buy problem...not a supply one.
    schnipdip
  • chrislandychrislandy Posts: 201 Solid Baller
    Take a listen to "The Water Ski Podcast" by @Luzz there are a couple of interviews with @Horton and @MarcusBrown that go into quite a depth about affordability and accessibility in the sport
  • tjs1295tjs1295 Posts: 88 Baller
    No matter what's happening with boat prices, it sounds like the club @schnipdip belongs to has REALLY changed!
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 246 Solid Baller
    Maybe ask once again, did the boats need to get bigger, heavier requiring larger more expensive engines? If so why? I think most people would agree the SN 197 was a pretty darn good tug.
    @Golfguy there's no such thing as a SN 197.

the physical width difference from 10 years ago of the boats is not a significant factor in the price. The older 5.7 L engines literally no longer exist as OEM.

Broussard
  • slowslow Posts: 450 Crazy Baller
    They’re pretty anal here. You were off by an inch
    AndreDysco
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 604 Crazy Baller
    @Wish and @6balls are spot on. Expensive is not the barrier
    @slow
    197 is a MC. 196 is a SN.

Broussard
  • BroussardBroussard Posts: 551 Crazy Baller
    edited March 23
    * MasterCraft SportStar, Malibu Sportster, and Centurion Carbon Pro have entered the chat *
    Andre Broussard | SkiBama Team Captain | SkiBennetts |
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,035 Crazy Baller
    Don’t forget the Malibu Sportster.
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
    Broussard