Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First ride on Denali

JASJAS Posts: 309 Crazy Baller
edited April 3 in Technique & Theory
Going to give Denali c-75 a ride. My current ski is 2020 vapor pro-build. Will be stiff competition to unseat the vet. What should i expect. Thxs

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,898 Mega Baller
    Very different ski (based on watching others experience). Probably need to give it several sets if really interested.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Wish
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,403 Administrator
    @JAS do you know what settings are on the ski you're going to try? it makes all the difference that they are exactly right. I very much prefer the original generation s-wing settings.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

hammerski
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,262
    @JAS ... You can expect the easiest, high performance ski you have ever ridden.. You could put the fin on backwards and still exceed your expectations....The ski simply does what you tell it to do with no bad side effects... Fin settings are simply Good, Better, and Best !!!

Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    ballsohardskialexdchristman
  • WishWish Posts: 8,233 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    What @Ed_Johnson and @Than_Bogan said.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    @Ed_Johnson that is ridiculous hyperbole. It is a fantastic ski but without the reasonably good fin settings there's no ski on planet Earth that is very good.

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,625 Mega Baller
    edited April 4
    I went from the 2020 Vapor to the C75 too. It definitely was no “out of the box” winner for me, like the Vapor had been. Fin settings mattered, a lot. It took me several sets and a bunch of settings to get in sync with it. Easily more consistent than any other ski I’ve ever ridden. I keep questioning why I’m even playing with a different ski right now. To answer your question, from the very start it’s different: the gate pullout felt like I was outrunning the boat without meaning to, the turns (oh the turns) offside it slows and really takes no effort to keep the nose down and rip as hard as you like, onside is just as smooth. I’ve found much less slack throughout my skiing. As I said earlier, I’m more consistent. PB? Speed control was messed up that day so I don’t count it, but it was on that Denali
    skialex
  • JASJAS Posts: 309 Crazy Baller
    @Horton as ski sits, Large. 28.5. .965 2.535 6.750. Regular wing 7. Using reflex with rtp. Suggestion on starting point for settings?
    Thanks guys
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,625 Mega Baller
    Medium with Reflex front and R-Style rear 28 1/4 6.760 2.583 0.955 and flat wing at 7. 22-32 with occasional shots midway through -35.
  • BS74BS74 Posts: 52 Baller
    Question: Is the Denali a 34/36 mph ski or what about 32mpm(32 off) and 30mph?
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 865 Mega Baller
    @JAS I’ll briefly share my experience and my son’s experience and that might help you pick a starting point, or maybe just solidify that you may need more than one set. I was on a Vapor running long/shallow settings @34, I tried middle of the recommended range and ended up very close my Vapor’s long/shallow settings. My son was also long /shallow on a Vapor, but he was outrunning the boat at the 36 and ended up short/deep, this was as he was transitioning to 36. Both of us made adjustments along the way.

The crazy fun part was running passes that I should have had no business running on settings that did not work well for me, so to answer your original question, expect some of that. Try some long/shallow, short/deep, and everything in between.

@BS74 my wife borrowed my son’s Denali for a ride at 26.7-32 mph and it ran fine, but better at 28 mph and up. She looked good on it. Same with the young son, he looked crazy good. I wouldn’t hesitate to try it at the slower speeds.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,577 Mega Baller
    as I rode mine on Friday afternoon, for only the second set of the season, it wasn't nearly the struggle to get back "in-sync" like in previous years where I haven't skied from November through March. The new Denali ran up the line through -32 as if it new exaclty what it was doing. I hope I can keep up with it this season.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    adamhcaldwellEd_Johnson
  • DangerBoyDangerBoy Posts: 382 Crazy Baller
    @Ed_Johnson : All six at -35. I didn't think it would end this way.

@AdamCord : End? No, the journey doesn't end here. -35 is just a step along the way, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

@Ed_Johnson : What? Adam? See what?

@AdamCord : White shores, -38 and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

@Ed_Johnson : Well, that isn't so bad.

@AdamCord : No. No, it isn't.” :)
    I can take anything apart
  • JASJAS Posts: 309 Crazy Baller
    @Horton did you have some recommended settings or does it look like current set up is in the park
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 865 Mega Baller
    edited April 11
    @JAS Horton may have some others, but here is the guidance from Cord and Caldwell. Mine goes outside these ranges a bit and so does my son’s, so don’t feel constrained.
    https://denaliskis.com/pages/fin-setup-guide
    @JAS I very much prefer something close to the original s-wing settings. The only caveat with these settings is you must get super wide on your gate and I don't know if they would work at 28 off and longer. I know they kind of suck at 22.