Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do some skis whistle?

MarkMMarkM Posts: 155 Open or Level 9 Skier
Why do some skis whistle?
AmandaLR

Comments

• MarkMMarkM Posts: 155 Open or Level 9 Skier
    clearly...
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,613 Mega Baller
    edited April 5
    Its gotta be a harmonics problem. water flowing over the holes creates pressure and when just the right combination of frequency/pressure is reached you whistle.

My first Obrien world team howled. So did my goode 9200 and a radar senate my D3 did not - so if the pressures don't line up right no noise. Could probably take a ski that howls and deburr holes and see what happens.
  • ClydesdaleClydesdale Posts: 213 Solid Baller
    It’s the new Whistler fin pro.
    LanceHCook
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,426 Mega Baller
    HO VTX circa 1994 was a whistler
  • RGilmoreRGilmore Posts: 98 Baller
    My CG fin whistles when I don't use the mini-wing. I always assumed it was a built-in alert for an incorrect set up.
    Hockdog
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,239 Mega Baller
    edited April 5
    I posted this back in 2017 when this topic came up:

Never, but it would be neat to have an audio feedback device indicating speed that attaches to the ski. I found this patent intended for tennis rackets, golf clubs, and bats. Why not a ski?

Here's one for golf http://www.swingwhistle.com/

@AdamCord @adamhcaldwell I think this needs to be another Denali exclusive feature. The GUT-Whistle ...
    A training and marketing winner!

Now I'm wondering about the real purpose of the hole in that "Cypress Gardens" Tech-85.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
  • pgmoorepgmoore Posts: 212 Solid Baller
    My first "real" waterski was a KD7000 from the early 2000's. The blue one, just like in this picture:

It whistled like crazy. I've never had another ski do that... at least not to nearly the same extent.
    Patrick Moore
  • skialexskialex Posts: 1,197 Mega Baller
    @pgmoore had the very same ski, no whistle...
    But some Goodes I owned they whistled! It was fun!
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,300 Mega Baller
    I think it is the fin box. I put some duct tape over the excess slot in the front and back on a whistler and it seemed to learn the words..
    Cam
  • DyscoDysco Posts: 56 Baller
    I had a Skurfer, man that thing whistled loudly! Could hear it from inside the boat easily. Could play a catchy tune over rollers.
  • CamCam Posts: 364 Crazy Baller
    When the Adams first suggested putting washers under the fin block I did it to my Mapple 6.0 and it started to whistle, like @A_B I put duct tape over the gap and it stopped whistling.
    A_B
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 1,076 Mega Baller
    It chases the gators away.
    Andre
  • sunnydaysmnsunnydaysmn Posts: 50 Baller
    I had a SKI that whistled can’t remember which one .. Obrien, HO or a goode.
    I thought it was cool!
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 590 Crazy Baller
    The old wood Hook had a nice whistle - almost bought one just for that
    ALPJr
  • InthedayIntheday Posts: 158 Baller
    Had an ex cable park wood trick ski with an aluminium fin, that thing whistled so loud that the first time it whistled I though someone from shore was trying to get our attention.
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,182 Mega Baller
    I had an old Saucier that whistled at everything! Had it take a 90 minute video class and that fixed nothing . Somehow I felt safer! B)
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    BG1The_MS