2021 is my last year of USAWS

The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,454 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
edited August 2 in News & Other Stuff
2022 they are requiring Safesport training for all members.
I’m done.
Shut up and ski
ski6jonesBruce_Butterfieldthagerdthatemcskier41j2nh

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 31,402 Administrator
    @The_MS SafeSport is far from perfect but please explain why you are so adamantly against it. It costs a couple of dollars and it takes like an hour of your time and it is intended to add just one more level of protection for our young people.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

Broussard
  • BroussardBroussard Posts: 672 Crazy Baller
    edited April 6
    @Horton According to the email from Nate Boudreaux (Executive Director) there will be no cost for taking the training course.
    Andre Broussard | Action Water Sports | SkiBennetts |
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,733 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Horton there is no cost for taking the course.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board

Broussard
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,454 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    It’s another hour. Not a dam thing will happen to anyone. Can you fail the training? What happens if you fail? What happens to all the information collected? What does it cost for the USAWS to affiliate with SS? It’s way too Woke for me.
    Shut up and ski
    ellenmskierjpmcskier41j2nh
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,629 Mega Baller
    edited April 6
    Doesn’t sound like anything really new. To me it’s more like waterskiing is catching up to other sports. For at least 20 years or so all adults involved in youth sports like AAU, Little League, NERVA, have had to submit some sort of criminal background check and complete health and safety training requirements.
    Being involved in youth sports is being a coach or organizer.
    Shut up and ski
    DeanoskiKilleraupatking
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,733 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @MarkTimm That is no longer the case.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board

I just don’t agree with teaching a almost M6 guy to be Woke. If they exempt me from the 1 hr I will pay my dues next year
    Shut up and ski
  • MarkTimmMarkTimm Posts: 147 Baller
    @klindy Thanks for the info, I just checked the website to confirm, glad to see the members voices were heard.
    Mark Timm
    edited April 6
    That's the most ridiculous thing you've ever said.

That's a bold statement! :D
    Bruce_ButterfieldThe_MS
  • marknmarkn Posts: 460 Crazy Baller
    @Horton I am NOT making that leap....the legislators are. This is intellectually void. The law, signed by the Senate states the purpose of the law is to avoid the potential for abuse, yet these are the SAME law makers who signed a law stating any one can use a gender specific bathroom depending on how they "identify". Now, law makers claim they want to prevent or reduce the potential for abuse, but pass a law which arguably could potentially increase abuse, yet then pass another law to prevent abuse. Explain that to me...go ahead, I'll wait. And just for the record, my wife too is rather formidable and I would not worry about her at all. That is not to say others are not at greater risk
    Bruce_ButterfieldEd_Johnsondthate
  • NikolGNikolG Posts: 138 Baller
    In California starting in 2021(AB 1963) any manager/supervisor has to take a similar course if they have employees under 18. It's in every industry and sport, why not waterskiing!?
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,193 Mega Baller
    @NikolG using that argument the USAWS solution would be like anyone conducting business with an establishment employing minors must have the training. Supervisors makes some sense.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    jayskiMrs_MS
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,978 Mega Baller
    Mark down this moment: I think it's the first time I completely disagree with Bruce Butterfield!

Us non-predators are the ONLY hope to stop the predators early. All of the other mechanisms we have punish them after the damage is done.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Dekeskispraybuechsrjipster43
    @NikolG I am surprised that it is being required for all members. I am also surprised that it was not previously required for judges, drivers, scorers, TCs, and safety personnel to maintain ratings.
    I am struggling to defend my position without jumping deep into the banned topic of non-waterski politics.

@markn
    Just because SafeSport can be associated with legislators of one party does not mean that the underlying goal of SafeSport is a bad goal. I do not care if Chairman Mao supports SafeSport if it moves the needle away from what happened in Gymnastics with Larry Nassar. Sexual abuse of children should not be a political Left or Right thing.

(Sarcastic Font) since you oppose this legislation or any bills from these legislators does that mean you support sexual abuse of minors? I am pretty sure you do not / I am not suggesting that you do / just making a point.

The ONLY reason I can see why we would object to SafeSport is the required background checks / invasion of privacy. I am not on board with that objection but at least it is logical.

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

DekeLaz
    @Bruce_Butterfield I get your point. We can certainly debate the effectiveness. If it is mostly a waste of everyone's time but protects one child it is worth it. When and if it erodes my personal privacy or freedom in a real way I will change my tune.

Broussard
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,193 Mega Baller
    @Horton "The ONLY reason I can see why we would object to SafeSport is the required background checks / invasion of privacy. I am not on board with that objection but at least it is logical." And we accept this for anyone that wants to strap on a ski and participate in a tournament? Seems pretty invasive.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    sunperchjayskidthate