Yard sale

HortonHorton Posts: 32,945 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆ HO Syndicate MasterCraft ☆ Masterline ☆ Performance Ski and Surf ☆ 

Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

Bruce_Butterfield

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 32,945 Administrator

Connelly ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆ HO Syndicate MasterCraft ☆ Masterline ☆ Performance Ski and Surf ☆ 

• Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 4,055 Mega Baller
    What the hell ? The kid exploded out in front of jump...heard a metallic snap at failure point..
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• HortonHorton Posts: 32,945 Administrator
    my understanding is he is fine

• MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,546 Mega Baller
    I believe @Shell was involved as a Safety on this and she said he was not hurt - and was very lucky.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Horton
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,625 Mega Baller
    Well, that was different!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • jayskijayski Posts: 1,193 Mega Baller
    My friends kid, got just over 50ft with that one he said...😂...he's fine
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 681 Crazy Baller
    When lifting the ski goes wrong.
    RAWSki
  • dbaconazdbaconaz Posts: 195 Baller
    been there done that! LOL
  • DangerBoyDangerBoy Posts: 477 Crazy Baller
    No helmet?!! Who does waterski jumping without a helmet?!! He's lucky he's not dead. :#
    I can take anything apart
    Dysco
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,371 Mega Baller
    @DangerBoy it was at the base of the ramp floating next to his skis. Scary to watch in person for sure. Glad he got around to his back in that flip or it could have been bad. Walked away without a scratch.
  • DangerBoyDangerBoy Posts: 477 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2021
    @MattP Holy Crap!!! That was a SCARY fall! :o He could've had a severe or even fatal head injury not to mention spinal or other serious injuries. He is SUPER lucky he wasn't hurt. :#
    I can take anything apart
  • Cooper_TrelawneyCooper_Trelawney Posts: 419 Crazy Baller
    What really happened? Hard to see on my phone. Did he hang a tip?
    Travis Anderson, Texas waterfront REALTOR
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,261 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    It looks like the left ski broke right after the wake. That would also explain the "snap" sound, but hard to confirm with the video at full speed and that resolution.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    Cooper_Trelawney
  • ghutchghutch Posts: 226 Solid Baller
    I was working safety at this event and was in front of the jump when he came flying over. Really scary from that angle as it looked like he hit his head. He said he was lifting his ski to cut to the jump and caught a tip. (forgive me I'm not a jumper but thats what was explained to us). Looking at the video he's extremely lucky he slid over it on his back. Water ripped his helmet off before. Took our breath for a moment but he came up giving a thumbs up. Tough kid!
    HortonRAWSki
  • ShellShell Posts: 294 Crazy Baller
    @ghutch @MISkier is correct, I was working Lake 2 as safety when it happened, I did see it from a distance and it was very scary, our team of safetys did a fabulous job and he had on all approiate jump equipment, like @ghutch said, the water ripped his helmet off of him. So blessed that he walked away ok from this.
    Horton
  • Cooper_TrelawneyCooper_Trelawney Posts: 419 Crazy Baller
    Hanging a tip in the old days on 72" skis sometimes resulted in a ski being sucked off the foot or an OTF crash but usually laughter and humiliation, and it usually happened on the counter cut or in the glide. With 90" skis, it's a whole different level and technique-wise it seems a lot of jumpers like to lift their left ski coming into the ramp to ensure their weight is on the right one.
    Gosh, that's a violent way to go down. Remember Regina at the 600' bouy at the Malibu Open last year?
    Travis Anderson, Texas waterfront REALTOR
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 681 Crazy Baller
    He lifts his left ski, it's tail is kicked by the wake, and he loses his control of it and his right ski gets behind him, left ski dips too much tip and he's over his skis. The somersault was a smart move. This happens more than people realize, especially with people lifting their skis and trying to crane the wakes. I can think of a number of other times this occurred at tournaments.