Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tow Boats in 08? SG vs ZO

HortonHorton Posts: 30,412 Administrator
edited January 2008 in News & Other Stuff
<p class="MsoNormal">
<font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000">What is the deal with tournament tow boats in 08? Are the PerfectPass boats going to be running StarGazer? Is that official? </font>
</p>
<font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000"> </font>
<p class="MsoNormal">
<font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000">I think a lot of us are still waiting for some kind of comparison between the two GPS systems in terms of skier feel. Anybody have any idea? If they do not feel similar then it is going to be a rodeo.  I know there are promo people out there . . . . .</font>
</p>

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

Comments

• <p>
    John,
    </p>
    <p>
    My buddy has Stargazer and is waiting on the indash display from ZO. He is a MC promo guy. As soon as the ZO arrives, I will be able to comment on the systems back to back.
    </p>
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,412 Administrator
    Awesome!

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• one thing you can enter into Stargazer is crew weight. We had 360 for crew + 80# under seat. With 440 crew weight we had a 16.95. For S&G's we entered dropped it down to 150 on the display. Guess what, 16.95!!!. All we can think is that crew weight accuracy may help it to settle into speed quicker before the greens.
    edited January 2008
    <p class="MsoNormal">
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000">I called PerfectPass this morning. They are not talking orders for StarGazer until Feb 1. I guess we will all find out what it is like at the same time . . .</font>
    </p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">
    <font size="3"><font color="#000000"><font face="Times New Roman">Eric told me that the GPS is an off the shelf 5 sample per second unit (ZO uses two of the same unit.) Pretty amazing that it works that way. As I understand it the SG unit uses the paddle wheel as a back up but it is not necessary. <span> I am really looking forward to skiing behind it . . .  I might wait until we are skiing to install so I can try old vs new.</span></font></font></font>
    </p>

• DWDW Posts: 2,307 Mega Baller
    <p>
    Of more interest would be the processing of the software and the signal within the system.  Talked to the guys at Racepak and there is a lot options on how one processes the signal so that it is accurately aligned with what is actually happening.  Takes a pretty savvy software writer to optimize a GPS signal.
    </p>
    <p>
    DW is this software top secret? Is there something off the shelf these days that increases the accuracy?
    </p>

Not top secret but proprietary to the company.  Might end up being off the shelf if we proceed correctly.
    <p>
    Ok so back no my data idea . . <a href="http://ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=230&page=1#Item_0">http://ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=230&page=1#Item_0</a>
    </p>
    <p>
    As I understand it the GPS tool I am looking at has a 3 meter accuracy. If better accuracy requires $ + R&D then I might be peeing in the wind.
    </p>

• KGKG Posts: 45
    <p>
    I am pretty sure the 3 meter accuracy is refering to accuracy of long / lat coord.  It is (i think) far more accurate at measureing change in distance from one point to another, if that makes any sense....
    </p>
    <p>
    KG
    </p>
    <p>
    KG,
    </p>
    <p>
    Yes, because (I hope) height does not matter!  My point is once you get a plot of the skier path, it should be pretty easy to lay that on to the actual course because you have 6 reference points with 2 of them apporx. 500 feet apart.  Geometrically, that makes it pretty easy to lay in the course.  Don't get me wrong, it would be great to actually have that info. spit out with the data so that step can be eliminated.
    </p>
  • lkblkb Posts: 629 Baller
    <p>
    I just got my '08 nautique today. I live in N. Alabama and was pretty suprised when I saw that zero off was picking up a differential signal. I thought differential was only available in coastal areas. Does anybody know about this?
    </p>
    <p>
    I got 16.93 every time I tried the course. I know that's close to actual but I guess from all the talk I was expecting 16.95 every time. I wasn't pulling a skier though could that be the reason?
    </p>
  • rrykerrryker Posts: 21 Baller
    My ski buddy just got his 08 MC TT boat it came with PP StarGazer and ZO. It will be cool to switch between the two to see which feels better behind the same boat.

Everything is there except the ZO gauge which I assume will be coming soon. We still have a good 1/2 foot of ice on the lake so it doesn't matter that much right now.