2014+ Prostar Bimini / Windshield Flex

MastercrafterMastercrafter Posts: 388 Crazy Baller
Love the design and look of my '15 Prostar bimini except for the fact that's it's kind of heavy and mounts only to the windshield, which makes me nervous.

While pushing/pulling gently on the top corners of the windshield, bimini or not, the windshield frame flexes and the glass moves in the frame. I tightened the 3 screws on each pillar holding the frame to the boat, which helped. I don't expect it to be absolutely rock solid, but should I be concerned about long-term structural degradation or windshield damage from bimini use? I plan to keep this boat indefinitely and don't want to require an obsolete windshield in 8 years.

I know the top bimini mounts are known to wear through but they're easily replaceable and only cost a partial fortune. Has anyone had or heard of problems besides the top mounts pulling through?

Comments

• RogerRoger Posts: 1,618 Mega Baller
    You should be fine. I have 475 hours on my 2016 without issues. My ski partner also has an X ski school 2016 with more than 1100 hours on it and is also fine. Yes, the mounts are expensive... I had one set replaced under warranty, but the next set is on me (can't wait).
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 1,365 Mega Baller
    The open side is nice, but that corner/mount piece isn't a great design. We had ours replaced under warranty also, going to need it again soon. I may go to a metal shop to see what can be re-designed to make that last longer. Putting something down at the end of that slot so the ball sits in different spots helps extend time before it wears out.
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 549 Crazy Baller
    Aluminum is too soft as it is designed. Unless it’s stainless?
    Need more contact surface area or harder material.
    Aluminum is nice since it won’t rust. As would be stainless.
    Great general design concept though.
    ScottScott
  • LukeBLukeB Posts: 10 New Baller
    Reviving this thread unfortunately...does anyone know what the part number is?