rope release construction and basics

eleeskieleeski Posts: 4,013 Infinite Pandas
I take a 2 meter (+) long section of heavy slalom rope and thread it back through itself. 1 meter will be the final length of the rope release (cut it as needed, the rule is 1 meter). The rope will be thick for easy holding by the release person. The rope will work itself unthreaded so some occasional re-centering of the rope will be needed. If it slips a lot, try washing the rope with an abrasive soap (Comet cleanser or Ajax). Maybe go a little bit shorter than 1 meter so if things slip a bit, you will still be legal. But some slippage is normal and will easily adjust back.

Do not use any knots! This is important to allow the ski rope to slide off smoothly. Don't burn the ends either. The ski rope can hang up on the burned bits but won't on a frayed end.

The easiest way to thread that much rope back inside itself is to tape one end to a pencil to the end of the rope. This makes the long threading easy. Be sure to leave a couple centimeters opening to cinch back on itself over the pylon. Note that if you loop it in a cinch loop rather than just hooking it on the pylon it will not slip as much.

If you have the rope release cinched to the pylon, the rope release through the loop at the end of the trick rope (your trick rope should have a final loop of slalom rope at its end - spectra is too small and digs into the rope release enough to slow down the release) and your rope release is spliced to be doubled up then the rope release should work and last reasonably well.

Also I don't like the release feel for toes if there are wraps around the pylon (I haven't had any issues with pylon wraps and hands - but I don't need it much for hands). It sometimes hangs up on the pylon when the rope is let go. So I unwrap it, clamp it with my left hand and hold the rope with my right hand less than a full turn on the pylon. This way I can throw the rope clear for a quick low drag release. It's tougher with big skiers. Use the minimum wrap on the pylon that you can hold with.

For getting up and non critical hands, a couple wraps makes it easy to hold.

For big skiers, the Robbins release is best. For little kids, just hold onto some webbing or braid in the boat and throw it clear when they fall. When driving solo for tricks I like the split pin with a foot trigger. Rope releases are cheap and easy - but not perfect.

Good luck and have fun with the toe tricks.

Eric
MISkierchrislandyVermontSkierthagerBruce_ButterfieldBroussardDaveDaupatkingGloersenandjulesGus

Comments