GoPro GPS Speed Record Activation

GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,163 Mega Baller
maybe most GoPro users already are aware of the GoPro Labs beta firmware utility.
but if not, among the features, is to set the camera to REC start/stop based on GPS speed (like Wakeye).
It's a huge convenience, creates clips easily viewed/edited, and with external power supply (batt pack), it can just be left on for the entire session. I've yet to have an overheat shutdown even in 90F plus weather for several hours.

Link to firmware:
How to Install GoPro Labs Firmware

To set the camera for desired settings a webpage is accessed to create a QR Code; save the QR Code pic on a cellphone, turn on GoPro, point the lens at the QR code with viewfinder, presto; the camera settings are in effect.

QR Code creator webpage link:
QR Control Customizer

Example:

Here the GPS is set to record on at 43kph/record off at 37kph:

Of course GoPro has very good image stabilization with hypersmooth.

sample, but also to encourage @swbca to post video. There's all sorts of wrong and bad with this skiing, but as an aging, post-Achilles blow-out, and consequential LFF to RFF convert, still a lot to learn.

swbcaOldboyIIGMCTom351Vernon ReeveMichaelWiebeskistromswaterkd

Comments

• MastercrafterMastercrafter Posts: 121 Baller
    Thank you for sharing this!
  • LK_skierLK_skier Posts: 82 Baller
    I've contacted GOPro to try and get this feature for years - thats awesome!! thanks for sharing. So you must have your QR code available when you want to use it.... I'll save it to my phone pics
  • cacmancacman Posts: 119 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Does that work with all gopros or just 9. Is there any reason to get a 9 over the 8.
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,163 Mega Baller
    edited August 30
    @cacman - GoPro HERO8 is great.

• ZmanZman Posts: 1,881 Mega Baller
    The Hero9 has voice activation. So, I guess the driver could just say, "gopro start recording", "gopro stop" - until you set up this GPS control.
    Does the Hero8 have voice activation as well?
  • 503Kento503Kento Posts: 108 Baller
    I tried using the voice control on my 7 but it’s easy to forget and it can’t hear you over the wind and motor. The speed trigger is waaaayyy better.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,805 Mega Baller
    Does GoPro support zooming worth a dang these days? I know in the past, it looked like an ant skiing at anything beyond 38 off.
    boats are like girlfriends you love them however there is another one around the corner - bananaron, July 21, 2020
    Digital zoom only which is a bit of a limitation. When used with a tracker (ski-doc) it’s hard to set the right value to get all of the turn. Once you find the value, there is no way to save it as default.
  • CnewbertCnewbert Posts: 365 Crazy Baller
    @503Kento my GoPro 9 saves the last used digital zoom setting.
  • CnewbertCnewbert Posts: 365 Crazy Baller
    @UWSkier our GoPro 9 can do up to 2x digital zoom. However, there is a bit of lag with the tracking on a SkiDoc, in part because of the bow in the line, so 2x is likely to be too much zoom as the skier will ski out of frame at apex unless they are not getting very high on the boat and/or skiing on longer rope lengths.
    @cnewbert that’s great, I’ve only got a 7…maybe time for an upgrade ;)
  • scuppersscuppers Posts: 509 Solid Baller
    @Gloersen sent you a PM
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 546 Crazy Baller
    edited September 8
    Thank you so much for this! I tried it this weekend and it worked great. I need a bigger, or more, SD card(s) and more batteries now. :)
  • cacmancacman Posts: 119 Open or Level 9 Skier
    What are you using to watch video after you record it. Software phone computer
    If I’m still skiing when I want to look at the video I use GoPro Quick and my phone or iPad. Once home, I move the videos to my local PC. For my ski partners, I edit all the passes together and post them to a google drive for their review.
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 546 Crazy Baller
    @503Kento Wow. Can you come ski with me and do that editing? 😁 Seriously, what do you use to do that?
    @KRoundy absolutely, when should I show up 😉

I just use the video editor supplied with Windows.
  • MichaelWiebeMichaelWiebe Posts: 144 Baller
    @Gloersen Dumb question: Is this speed activation available for a Hero 3+?
    Maybe it’s time to upgrade……
    The Hero 10 is just out, with all new software, which begs the question if it already has speed activation available.
    Thanks in advance.
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,163 Mega Baller
    @MichaelWiebe - don't believe so on Hero 3+ (see 15 posts above).

Not sure if Hero 10 (basically better cpu) includes QR code lab firmware, should be easy install though, assuming compatible.

MichaelWiebe