Support for Mike Suyderhoud

HortonHorton Posts: 32,399 Administrator
edited August 2021 in News & Other Stuff
From Anneke Suyderhoud
My father, Mike Suyderhoud is a legendary Hall of Fame water skier with 5 World Champion titles and 16 US National titles. In his 50+ year career, he has professionally coached and influenced hundreds of water skiers from all around the world. He is a household name in Northern CA due to his well-known International Water Ski School and ski show on Shasta Lake in the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s.

Unfortunately, my dad will no longer be able to participate in the sport and industry he has dedicated his life to.

My dad is in advanced stages of diabetes, kidney failure and is fighting a myriad of battles associated with this insidious disease. He was rushed to the hospital via ambulance on June 13, 2021 where we discovered he had a severe blood infection coursing through his body. Per his doctors recommendation to ultimately save his life, his left leg needed to be amputated at the knee. He is currently recovering from his recent amputation at a rehab facility in the greater Redding area.

Read more https://www.gofundme.com/f/2x3h7-support-for-mike-suyderhoud

My dad's goal is to be home with his family and discharged for home care and outpatient rehab/physical therapy.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

Comments

• thagerthager Posts: 5,549 Mega Baller
    edited August 2021
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • BS74BS74 Posts: 245 Baller
    Pull Mike up on Face Book. You can click on a caption under a picture and you will get an explanation from his daughter. Also, link for Go Fund Me, he needs help!!
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,783 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Mike is a totally great guy.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    BG1hammerski
  • CsSkisCsSkis Posts: 124 Baller
    Bump
    Chuck Illi
  • NandoNando Posts: 598 Crazy Baller
    Very sad news about n incredibly great guy- as well as a great skier.
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,303
    Taught me the one handed gate in Hawaii in 91. Skied with him and his Dad who was a really great Guy...So sorry to hear about this. I have faith he will still be back coaching in the future. Hoping for a fast recovery !!!

Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    hammerskibdmz
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 971 Mega Baller
    Had Mike out to our Michigan lake in 2002 for two days of coaching. He is a great guy and a fun coach. Wishing him and his family all the best at this difficult time.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,821 Mega Baller
    edited August 2021
    Bump. Skiing with Mike in Shasta in 1994 changed the trajectory of my skiing life. First and foremost his knowledge, coaching style and hospitality were second to none. Knowing that I was living in Marin Co. at the time he steered me to contacts with the clubs at Aquatic Park. Returned the next spring with a friend who was free skier just discovering course and Mike got him completely stoked. I’ll never forget his story about when he got the first ever ‘rock’ reride, at a nationals warm up tourney at Spencer’s in Owego, New York. One of his competitors hurled a huge rock into the pond to throw rollers into the coarse as he was resting at the other end. All this on top of being an all time great, hall of famer who gave a lot more to the sporting world than he ever took.
    Cooper_Trelawney
    Bump
    Bump…
  • dudedude Posts: 12 Baller
    The first time I ever made a pass in a slalom course was with Mike coaching. He did a clinic for our club on the Delta. I had most of the concepts wrong and he straightened me out. Great guy.
    bump…
  • swbcaswbca Posts: 707 Crazy Baller
    A great person and contributor to our sport. So sorry.
    Home of the world's first submersible slalom course
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 1,204 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    The BEST floating slalom course on the market ACCUFLOAT
    hammerski