Rule Proposal "Opt Down"

Comments

• ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,282
    Horton, Lynda probably calls your wife and they discuss your dumbness regularly.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

The_MSBruce_ButterfieldthagerDirt
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,488 Administrator
    @ForrestGump I'm super grateful they have never met

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

dnewton
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,508 Mega Baller
    edited August 24
    When tournaments are scheduled a time factor of 6 min a skier is pretty much the standard time frame utilized.
    Basically each slalom skier should be alloted that 6 min per round

Suggested rule: 4 pass max.
    The boat shall go down and back through the course twice for each skier. (That's down and back twice that equals 4 passes..).
    Skier has the option to start their round at any end and at any speed at any line length and on any of the 4 passes alloted to the skier. The first scoring pass will consist first difinitive attempt at entry gate and subsequential start of scoring as per gate rules.
    All fall rules are in effect. Another words don't fall down when you are warming up. All other rope shorting and speed rules apply for scoring

Rational: my self and like many other skiers attend and enter and pay for that 6 min! Miss first pass pay dearly. Most skiers Don't have but three passes anyway.
    A way to get more for what we pay for, the
    Skiers as a whole will benefit from a 4 pass event. Gives those that can utilize a familiarization.
    Open/ pro divisions could also put some excitement in their events with a 4 pass max rule.

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

WishSkoot1123ScarletArrow
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 1,256 Mega Baller
    The only thing worse than practicing 28off is practicing when the wind is over 5mph.
    HortonThan_Bogan
  • jayskijayski Posts: 1,091 Mega Baller
    @bigtex2011 I am 10000000% in!!!
    skidawg
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 1,031 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited August 25
    I think @horton is suggesting something that might get me to participate in a few tournaments each year. I can't stand 15off or skiing at 32mph, and don't consistently run 28off. That means a 22 opener and miss my 28off. Down and back. Last tournament I skied, I told the guy skiing after me to get his ski on, I'd be right back.

I think John's suggestion needs some refinement to make everyone happy. How about allowing skiers to run their opener twice as long as they don't fall, but then they are limited to 4 passes, even if they complete their last pass? Maybe not for and L or R, but at least allow this at a C.

I do agree that "opting down" is a silly suggestion.
    Wish
    I could live with 4 passes guaranteed IF you fall or miss before 4 passes are up...I mean, @The Wood we always allow the skier to ski back to the dock if they miss going away anyway, so could be 2,4,6,8 passes total...some other sites in the SC region do this also...
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,022 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    In several of my best tournament performances I completed 5 full passes and started on pass #6. Yeah, I'm old school, but skiing more passes rather than fewer will get higher scores.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    sunperchALPJrThan_BoganMDB1056
    @JackQ a wise man once told me that my gate at 28 has nothing to do with my gate at 38 so why do I practice my gate at 28 every ride?

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

@Horton off topic but I think that "wise man" isn't so wise, why would your mechanics at any gate change? I mean that's like saying why practice at 28 or 32 at all when you wanna run 38 or 39, I mean if your gates or skiing at all sucks at 28/32 you sure as heck ain't gonna have a good foundation for 38
    jetpilotg4ski6jonesBruce_Butterfield
  • Mrs_MSMrs_MS Posts: 366 Crazy Baller
    @Horton
    MS does 2 32’s to warm up in practice 😉
    Every time
    I ski for fun, just the wife!
    bigtex2011HortonDirtWish
    @jayski
    The forces at 28 are nothing like the forces at 38. That 10 feet of rope makes a huge difference. I try to spend as much time as I can on the shortest rope that I can run smoothly.

FYI that wise man recently sold his house in Bossier City and moved to Arkansas.

• ralral Posts: 1,924 Mega Baller
    I strongly believe that the forces at 28 and 38 @34 MPH are much more similar than the ones at 32 and 41 at 36 MPH. But maybe just my impression.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 457 Open or Level 9 Skier
    @Horton, We differ on philosophies. I adhere to what Andy Mapple told me to do, make all your passes the same as much as possible. Use the same cues for pull outs, etc, etc. Even so at least 28 gives you a warm up, get a feel for the lineups, winds etc. Different strokes for different folks. If 28 bothers you just start at 32, you need to have at least two starting passes to be able to react to the conditions, anyway.
    Bruce_ButterfieldSkoot1123
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,765 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    If the forces are different between 28&38 I’m confused why you’d practice anything but 38 all the time. Just put the rope on the purple loop and do it until it becomes automatic. Why even mess with anything else that might mess up your timing? <\end sarcasm font>
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board

• WishWish Posts: 8,417 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Whats the 32 off at 32mph worth score wise?
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 777 Crazy Baller
    Same as 28 off at 34.2.
    ScottScottWish
    @Horton watching that "wise man" form the boat many times, mechanically and technically he was the same at 28 and 38, intensity was different
    edited August 26
    Scoring for 32 off at 32 MPH if top speed is 34.2 MPH is not @ 28 off but @ 15 off, at least as per IWWF rules. @klindy should know if it is different in AWSA’s rules.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 1,256 Mega Baller
    Pretty sure in IWWF you have to go to max speed before shortening which is why the point difference. IWWF, If you have max speed of 34mph, and shorten at 32mph the point value of any shortening would be same as 15 off at 32mph? Or is it just moot because it can't be done?

AWSA is a 6 point increase of each step faster or shorter. So 32off at 32mph scores same as 28off 34mph.

AWSA zero based scoring

@ScottScott , you can shorten up before max speed as per IWWF rules (8.01), but you are scored at 18.25m until max speed, regardless of the line length. Skiers lower speed to avoid starting at longer lines, but are scored as if they were.
    Rodrigo Andai
    ScottScott
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,643 Mega Baller
    edited August 26
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,968 Mega Baller
    @ral IWWF has experimented with something like ZBS for Women's 45+

Not sure how it went. But basically allows a lower score to start.