Best Slalom Shorts

A_BA_B Posts: 4,345 Mega Baller
My slalom shorts are about 100 years old and the seams that have been repaired numerous times are about ready to blow apart and don’t look very fixable.

I don’t care for real long shorts so would guess these are 15-17” side length and they don’t stretch and aren’t real baggy so virtually no bucketing on starts. I don’t need any extra resistance!

Aside from neoprene shorts, which I think are too hot for summer, what brand/make do ballers like out there?

Thanks
AB

Comments

• GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,163 Mega Baller
    Hurley Phantom's
    reasonably snug - don't bunch up the legs - no sea anchor effect.

A_BSkoot1123
  • MinelickskierMinelickskier Posts: 70 Baller
    +1 on the Hurleys…lots of different options to choose from. I like the larger diameter draw string which are easier to double knot so shorts dont come down while skiing…
    A_B
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,915 Mega Baller
    O'Neill has always been excellent for me. The hyperfreak shorts are I think 20" but if you wear them where they are supposed to be they never feel too long. They also dry so quickly that you don't have to change shorts 3 times a day.
    A_BGlydonpcrawly
  • WishWish Posts: 8,400 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    For those on a budget, Walmart sells quick dry four way stretch board shorts for $17. And they last.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    SkiBadgerA_Bscorban2KKelly
  • JDskiNECAJDskiNECA Posts: 30 Baller
    O'Neill Hyperfreek in 18 in. There are a variety of styles.
    A_Bpc
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 2,110 Mega Baller
    Oakley shorts have been my go to. Super thin, dry fast, comfortable and when bought at an outlet while on sale are also super cheap!
    pgmooreA_B
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,629 Mega Baller
    Birdwell - “quality is our gimmick”
    Cooper_Trelawney
  • ClydesdaleClydesdale Posts: 292 Solid Baller

A_B
  • pgmoorepgmoore Posts: 213 Solid Baller
    @Skoot1123 Agreed for Oakley shorts. I am a big fan.

It is shocking how big of a difference it makes to have lightweight shorts that don't drag water.
    Patrick Moore
    Skoot1123
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 1,142 Mega Baller
    We have an insanely short setup on our lake so there is no time to mess around with your shorts once you get up. I've found the best combo is 1.5mm neo shorts (O'Neill Hammer) underneath with Patagonia board shorts over that. The neo base layer means you never mess with the shorts nor feel them, yet you get some style with the shorts vs just neo bottoms which looks goofy. Anyway it's been a killer combo for me.
    A_B
  • bananaronbananaron Posts: 520 Crazy Baller
    O NEILL SHORTS....ONLY WAY TO GO
    Ron Engblom Brainerd lakes,minnesota
    schafer
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,696 Mega Baller
    Will Asher was wearing something shorter then board shorts lately,don't know what brand,maybe Stokes stuff...
    Only o'Neill's board shorts for me.
    My ski finish in 16.95 ...but my ass is out of tolerance!
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 664 Crazy Baller
    Will's are Billabong.
    AndreA_B
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,288 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    edited August 31
    I like the legs short, I get my wife to modify them , less drag on the starts and no drag if you get in deep on the turn, plus no faffing around with then as you approach the course, occassionally Speedo,s when I am feeling Brave and left my shorts behind.
    I am very surprised that the Ladies choose to wear bikini type bottoms instead of shorts.

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

A_B
  • OldboyIIOldboyII Posts: 691 Crazy Baller
    Almost stopped using shorts for skiing. In colder days I use neo shorts, in warmer days I use swimming jammers - it is super comfy. I am toooo adult to care about style )))
    Although when I need to match surrounding skiers and there is a beach bar next to starting dock I use Camaro stretch shorts - IMO it is top standard for skiing shorts.
    Unregistered
    A_B
  • ShellShell Posts: 265 Crazy Baller
    edited August 31
    @Clydesdale with a liner? Now that's "old-school"
    I buy Hurley Phantom boardshorts for my RAWSki, along with compression shorts underneath (fast drying) he says they are the best out there. ;)
    A_BGlydon
    @Shell no liner! They come either way-I must have selected the wrong one.
    ShellA_B
  • Fastguy888Fastguy888 Posts: 94 Baller
    What about some arm-pit wing air brakes combined with some slick spandex shorts to get more speed. Arm-pit wings - when arms extended at the buoy they are deployed and slow you down; even better the drag would be on your inside at buoy to help turn, then when tucking your arms in, heading out of turn they no longer cause drag? Silly visuals here but considering the attention we put on other slalom equipment... At 60+ MPH aero matters. Seems like @MarcusBrown has the right credentials to design this. An added plus; Freddy Winter could glider over the water going OTF into 4 Ball at 43 Off rather than splashing.
    CGSkiSlalomSteveDHskiAndre
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,696 Mega Baller
    On another thread, discussing the same thing, a guy suggested Virus brand board shorts. I checked them out and bought a pair. I’ve been a loyal Patagonia stretch board short wearer until these. I love them. https://virusintl.com/products/airflex-ii-active-short-1?variant=39261783752794
    Fastguy888
  • SlalomSteveSlalomSteve Posts: 117 Baller
    @Fastguy888 I have totally had that idea before, I think I even suggested it on a Denali instagram post a couple months ago :D The product even sort of exists already, just cut off the lower body of a flying wingsuit! The problem is injury risk though, one of those wings catches in the water on a fall and your arm could get pretty cranked.

Hey man... sometimes great ideas start with terrible ideas lol.
    Fastguy888
    Idea of no-boat-slalom is almost here! Why not to use specially designed kite for pull? This may move water slalom to Olympics ))
    Unregistered
  • GlydonGlydon Posts: 231 Baller
    Always was a big supporter of Oneill boardies UNTIL I made the switch to Quiksilver Highlines , retain less water (hydrophobic) and they have a great fit , tighter on thighs.
    A_B
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,374 Mega Baller
    @Horton prefers Speedos!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    @thager please no photos!
    A_B
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,374 Mega Baller
    Damn!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,978 Mega Baller
    @wish Can you provide a link or more details? I really don't care what my shorts look like, so lasting and inexpensive sounds great!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • WishWish Posts: 8,400 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited September 1
    @Than_Bogan see Walmart near you. And u can try before u buy. 😎
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    edited September 2
    --
    Unregistered
  • mike_mapplemike_mapple Posts: 211 Water Ski Industry Professional
    my dad had about 5 pairs of the Oneill Hyperfreak shorts that had the beer pong cups and beer in them. His favorite shorts he always kept them on the dock, in the bag, and in his van
    Perfski.com
    407-859-7544
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

If you have a blister, pop it, pour some lemon juice on it, and then add salt. -Andy Mapple
    IGskiA_B
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,460 Crazy Baller
    69 Slam mid length shorts. They never scoop water and barely require any adjustments after the get-up.
    A_B