Double boot to hrt?

Shanko21Shanko21 Posts: 5 New Baller
I'm considering a switch from the double boot to the radar hrt. I've skied double boots for most of my life on skis. Tried rtp but always felt that my foot would slide around too much. Are people that have switched from double boot to the hrt happy with it? Or should I just stick with the double boots?

Comments

• ballsohardballsohard Posts: 459 Crazy Baller
    Great question.

I went from a double boot to the HRT and it was a simple transition.

At first I skied it cranked up tight like a back boot, as I went on with it I slowly did it up looser and looser until it wasn’t like much of a back boot.

Then I switched to a RTP and the transition was seamless.

I believe that if I went straight to a RTP it would have been a nightmare.

Go for the HRT! More ankle flex ion will help your skiing!
    mmosley899
  • CentCent Posts: 250 Baller
    Went from double boot for 40 pus tears to D3 RTP last weekend. Was not difficult.
    Still evaluating, but I believe I will switch as I think it will provechelpful to more weight forward techniques.
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 450 Open or Level 9 Skier
    I have been on double binders since late 1980s, I tried to transition to RTP and skied OK, but never consistently ran my hardest pass. I could tell that have my center of mass forward on my on side, could help over time. But after 4 months time I tried DB for one set, immediately felt more comfortable and ran my hardest pass that I could not with the RTP, and immediately sold the RTP. If I was younger or was willing to spend an entire season, maybe. But this old dog could not revive the old trick of the RTP
    ZmanMDB1056
  • JetsetrJetsetr Posts: 496 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Attempted the double boot to HRTP this spring...
    For me, didn’t care for it. Still had too much lateral heel movement, and general sloppiness. Back back to the double boot.
    YMMV....
    ZmanMDB1056
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 1,027 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I went to from a Wiley's high wrap rear to an HRT a couple years ago. Took about 1 set for the transition. @ballsohard is correct, much better when you don't crank it tight.
    ballsohard
  • swaterkdswaterkd Posts: 85 Baller
    I went from double Goode hard shell to front reflex and rear HRT. Love it. Do not get the feather frame.
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,881 Mega Baller
    edited September 3
    A few years ago, I tried going from double Vapor boots to the HRT. Like noted above, maybe I should have tried the HRT with it set looser. I found when my heel would rise, it would not go back down in the heel cup. Back to double boots. Maybe this fall I'll try again with a looser fit. If that doesn't work, it's for sale.
    With double Vapor boots, I leave the back boot upper bungie very loose to not restrict heel rise.
  • JmoskiJmoski Posts: 405 Solid Baller
    HRT is easier to transition to coming from a double set up than making the jump to an RTP. I tried the RTP and didn’t like it. I switched to the 1/2 rear style due to going with a hard shell for the front.
  • customskicustomski Posts: 130 Baller
    Both my son and I transitioned from double boots (Radar) to a front Radar and hrt and found it an easy switch. Agree with running loose on the Hrt.
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 816 Crazy Baller
    edited September 3
    @Shanko21 , is there something you feel your'e missing with your double boots, or just looking to make a change? My change from RTP to double boots was an experiment about 7 years ago as I wanted to see if it made a big difference in stability, control, etc. As one who always dragged their rear foot getting up, starting with both feet in was not fun. Now I can barely get up any other way, and am with @JackQ and @Jetsetr . Too old to change plus I do love the more connected feeling. I'm running Tfactors. HRT wouldn't offer the same level of support. It's a great product, just not for me . Changing bindings is a big change.
  • Shanko21Shanko21 Posts: 5 New Baller
    Thanks all for the replies. I have double vapors right now was just considering a change and it seemed like the hrt is a good compromise of a double boot like solution but giving the flexibility to kick in on beach or dock starts as the weather gets colder up here in New England
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 816 Crazy Baller
    @Shanko21 - a better solution...... move south
    Shanko21Zman
  • Shanko21Shanko21 Posts: 5 New Baller
    @MDB1056 That is my plan eventually
    Zman