Politics on BallOfSpray

HortonHorton Posts: 31,830 Administrator
We currently live in a hyper politicized culture. It seems like everything is politics. Personally, I spend every free moment listening to news from across the political spectrum. It is unlikely that any of you are paying more attention that I am. I get it. Everything is politics and everything is divisive. For many of you these political issues are emotional and are the core of what matters to you every day. If you want to scream, I understand because I want to scream also but not here.

This web site is about water skiing, water skiers and the water skiing lifestyle. The purpose of banning non-water ski related politics is protect conversations about skiing from the constant bickering of democrat vs republican vs libertarians vs whatever. The liberals think the conservatives are full of shit and the conservatives thing the liberals are full of shit. None of this is news.

I see no reason to depreciate this forum by letting a few of you to scream insults at each other.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

RazorRoss3Not_The_PugvtmechengdthateDWCnewbert2ValveMitchellMadkh2oskier6_BuoysjerrymCamBulldogMickeyThompsonKeith_MenardchipkimballchalouxskisprayRogerRednucleusskibrainslowBG1chris55KimbymonskigirlRw3bigtex2011Obrienslalombishop8950NandoDsullyDoubleDToddASlalomSteve

Comments

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,764 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Fake news
    Shut up and ski
    jayski
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,830 Administrator
    I know I am going to regret this....

Ok @The_MS why do water ski topics have to be commingled with national politics? Why must national politics permeate every conversation?

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

• dthatedthate Posts: 211 Baller
    @Wish you are correct, and the woman just confirmed to head the Bureau of Land Management, by the Let's go Brandon administration has a history of tree spiking to shut down the timber business, with views and actions like that, they are very likely coming back for the "waters of the US" which can mean water standing on your property can become federal property. So you can be mandated to do whatever they they want with no recourse. That has and will effect waterskiers!
    edited November 2021
    @Wish when there is a bureau of Land management stories that directly impacts water skiers then it's relevant.

• Keith_MenardKeith_Menard Posts: 796 Mega Baller
    I was surprised to see the electric boat thread shut down...was that because it got political or repetitive?
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 1,298 Mega Baller
    There's a difference between debating the political issues and painting conservative or liberals with a broad stroke, and certainly using politically charged slogans to do this painting. Specifics about the good or bad in policies that effect water-skiing would be ok if it weren't for the extreme left vs right mud slinging......as is evident in just 2 posts.....that just can't seem to happen.
    dchristmanandjules
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,953 Mega Baller
    Then dump the safesport thread
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    slowMattPNando
    @A_B any number of policies from any administration could impact the water ski community. The vast majority of the readers of this web site are disinterested in all of that until it literally impacts them.

The_MSdthateslowSkoot1123
  • skisprayskispray Posts: 239 Crazy Baller
    edited November 2021
    It’s not unreasonable to deal with real, relevant political issues as they relate to water skiing without dragging the conversation into the decisive mud of everyday partisan politics. There’s a big difference between discussing proposed legislation that would materially impact water access and slinging mud about masks, taxes, immigration, or whatever other political topic. The former should be welcomed on this site, the latter shouldn’t be allowed. If you don’t think there’s a difference, then you are probably too intellectually lazy to be having political discussions in the first place.

We can’t have a civilized, fraternal message board that focuses on skiing but that also allows free range political discourse. It just isn’t possible in times like these, so if you’re advocating for all political discourse on this forum you need to be careful what you wish for, because this place is the way it is now largely because that stuff isn’t welcome.
    klindyski6jonesCooper_TrelawneyZman
  • dthatedthate Posts: 211 Baller
    @Horton my humble apologies for throwing the "let's go" thing in, it was intended for humor, it came across as cynical. If we let go of the left / right fright it was enormously funny how that came about.

And since you own this site, and govern it well, I respect your right to do so.
    I will try to keep it between the lines.

The rest is real, and relevant.

As @klindy stated it's "FAR FAR bigger threat than the vast majority of people realize"

The "waters of the US" is a real issue, I was burned on a significant ski hole development project years ago, it still bothers me and it should concern all who enjoy water-sports.

• HigleyskierHigleyskier Posts: 32 Baller
    Thank you Horton. Framing everything as good or evil, nefarious or righteous is for the hysterical. The Chicken Little News outlet gets very boring, very fast…
  • 75Tique75Tique Posts: 194 Crazy Baller
    OK, I won't say anything about the fact that last year a ski outing cost me $10 and this year it costs me $16.
    “So, how was your weekend?”
    “Well, let me see…sun burn, stiff neck, screwed up back, assorted aches and pains….yup, my weekend was great, thanks for asking.”
    BG1The_MSsunperch
    edited November 2021
    @75Tique yes the price of fuel is an issue but as soon as you frame it as politics how not going to degrade into "your party did this and that party did that... and everyone who thinks one way is stupid"?

I can't say this enough times.... the goal keep the subject on skiing. As soon as things get political it becomes just an screaming match. The goal is to prevent politics from dividing skiers. You have the rest of the internet to shit post about politics. Facebook and twitter are there for you if you want to argue.

slowrfaZman
  • 75Tique75Tique Posts: 194 Crazy Baller
    @Horton Just being a wise guy. I am fully, 100% on board with your policy. Think about how silly those conversations get. "Well now that you put it that way, why of course your childish unending rants, insults, totally baseless assertions and name calling have convinced me I was politically wrong, so of course I will change my vote next time" said no one on the internet ever.
    “So, how was your weekend?”
    “Well, let me see…sun burn, stiff neck, screwed up back, assorted aches and pains….yup, my weekend was great, thanks for asking.”
    rogerwThan_BoganWishbraindamage
  • WishWish Posts: 8,480 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited November 2021
    Are we not talking about things that require a vote to change??

Gas prices
    Lakes/land being confiscated
    Mandates

Opinions, thought, feelings drive votes. Votes = change in many cases that directly affect skiing.. If not expressed, it’s just a list of facts. Now lowering the dialogue to name calling and/or innuendos is just immature and does not belong.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    sunperchBruce_Butterfield
  • morfootmorfoot Posts: 12 Baller
    edited November 2021
    Politics are in EVERYTHING. People used to escape to TV and sports to get away from all things Conservative or Liberal. Now even Pro Sports and TV shows are dragging political views into the fold. I've cut the cable cord, refuse to watch Pro Sports and even TV as a whole. Thankfully those in the watersports industry have kept politics out of it and the minute they do I'm done with them too. The last thing I wanna do is come on a forum that is all about the sport I love to participate, watch and learn from is to see it get political. There are plenty of other forums to do so just don't bring it here. Thanks Horton for keeping politics out of this forum. You wanna be Liberal...be Liberal...You wanna be Conservative be Conservative... If you're on Lanier I'll be happy to give you a pull regardless of what side of the fence you're on and then we can discuss who is right or wrong on what on this or that over an adult beverage. I obsolutely DETEST Politics in sports and this one should be no different.
    Bruce_Butterfield