The politics / censorship poll

HortonHorton Posts: 31,830 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

The politics / censorship poll 218 votes

BallOfSpray should be 100% free speech. Say anything.
5%
PSMmcskier41gjohnsonjayskisunperchThe_MSOne_SkidbresselescmanazeloewebGolsonTaynton 12 votes
Keeping non-waterski politics out off BallOfSpray is a good thing.
94%
HortonhackerStefanDeketsixamDaveDjedgellski6jonesmlangeskibugRogerdislandkpickettslowCsSkisSkiRVwaterskicoreyskibrainToddARichardDoane 206 votes
Horton

Comments

• ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,757 Mega Baller
    edited November 2021
    Yep, I think even the 35k new tug thread beats the heck out the safe sport debates.
    vtmecheng
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 939 Crazy Baller
    @ALPJr problem is that even boat discussions get political, with talk of gas prices, engine regulations, and business costs. It’s all a mine field these days.
    Drago
  • jayskijayski Posts: 1,144 Mega Baller
    Have a separate section for "water sports based politics" like the Denali split, you want to partake good, if not, don't partake...

Conversation is crucial to the betterment and direction for our sport. Because of the allowance of some discussions those in power have taken notice and had a first hand view of the memberships opinion. There are NO other open discussion portals for membership and this (BOS) is a great sounding board for the membership. Stifling it would do nothing to assist the sport and would just add to censorship of the membership.

Having sat on Regional, and National boards for our sport I see great value in peoples expression of opinions on this site and find it a great tool for OPEN MINDED board members to read, listen, and analyze what people are saying...Not doing so is a disservice to the membership, since the board is there FOR ALL THE MEMBERS
    ktm300Skoot1123sunperchdvskiing
  • jayskijayski Posts: 1,144 Mega Baller
    *edit* so 100% free speech is probably an inappropriate option, but the two options are a little to opposite ends of the spectrum to make a completely fair poll in my mind, some factors of any sports organization has political ties and needs to be interjected to a point
    Wishski6jonesBG1Mrs_MS
  • MastercrafterMastercrafter Posts: 219 Solid Baller
    Due to my line of work, waterskiing is basically the only non-political thing in my life and I like it that way. It's a good escape where we can all just get along and ski, and not worry about divisive topics. I have no idea who most of my ski buddies voted for, and I prefer not to know.

As much as I'd like to convince all fellow skiers to vote a certain way to keep waterways open, fuel prices down, blah blah blah, it's not going to happen anyways, so why clog up BOS with arguments, that's what Bookface is for.
    BobFZman
  • ktm300ktm300 Posts: 453 Solid Baller
    Choice is two polar opposites. @jayski has a great idea. No need to censor and nobody sees it that does not choose to.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,830 Administrator
    edited November 2021
    @The_MS you just made my key point. I want the readers of the web site to sit down and drink beers together. The problem is political conversations often makes enemies out of neighbors ( especially on the internet).

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

• ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,757 Mega Baller
    edited November 2021
    Little Feat - Apolitical Blues
  • DsullyDsully Posts: 14 Baller
    edited November 2021
    There are more than enough places on the internet to share one's opinion regarding their political beliefs. It's nice the BOS keeps politics out of the forum.
    Hortonsavaiusini
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 952 Crazy Baller
    politics can be very divisive. just because i may not agree with your views politically does not mean we cant converse or hang together
    HortonThe_MSjayski
  • Keith_MenardKeith_Menard Posts: 796 Mega Baller
    Can there be wiggle room? There is politics in our sport from global warming to the EPA...if it related to skiing it stays...if it is some rant about a nascar driver or a creamsicle...it goes.
    scuppers
    @Keith_Menard no. Discussions of policy that are pertinent to water skiing are of course on topic but as soon as it pivots into partisan bickering it's out of bounds

Zman
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,764 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    edited November 2021
    What if the host of the dinner is the crazy one but he thinks that the uncle is the crazy one? Who is right?
    Not implying that @horton is crazy, just a reply to @andjules post.
    But he really is crazy
    Shut up and ski
    jayski
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 873 Mega Baller
    edited November 2021
    What if the host of the dinner is the crazy one but he thinks that the uncle is the crazy one? Who is right?

if the host is crazy then people will politely find something else to do on Thanksgiving. It sure seems to me that this particular host has built something very popular, which is deeply appreciated by his family.

Edit: I suppose if the host was worried that it was really him that was the crazy one, he could create an online poll and ask his guests what kind of conversation they prefer at Thanksgiving ;)
    dchristmanrfaAndreThan_Bogan
  • scuppersscuppers Posts: 548 Crazy Baller
    @Keith_Menard is spot on
    Do not sensor water ski related topics/opinions
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
  • swbcaswbca Posts: 534 Crazy Baller
    @The_MS I agree with you. But some friends respect each other's position while they disagree. Other's believe their opinions are fact and let you know it. So on BOS if feel its best to stay away from the current political divide.
    Home of the world's first submersible slalom course
  • dbresseldbressel Posts: 44 Baller
    Hard to give-up Free Speech. Poll is a little skewed; however, I due understand the need to be civil. I would hate to have sponsors/and or advertisers pull out and loose this great forum. So ultimately, yes - best to keep out the non-waterski politics.
    Horton
    @MDB1056

Zmanandjulesslow
  • BrokenstackBrokenstack Posts: 11 Baller
    I come here to get away from politics
    chalouxslow
    @MDB1056 now that you mention it .... I have often wished i ran a political site and a guarantee if i did there would be zero water ski talk.

andjulesMISkierMDB1056
  • chalouxchaloux Posts: 29 Baller
    @Horton pardon my french, but that sounds fucking terrible :D
    pgmoorerogerwHorton
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,750 Mega Baller
    I think there were a few offenders that Scott Ellis probably should have sued for ruining part of his livelihood. Maybe he shared in the blame by allowing anonymous posting. Either way. No politics and no anonymous posting are what makes this site so ski specific a d keeps it friendly. I like what you do here John. Thank you again
    ZmanBigGerald3
    @aupatking Scot was not running a business. He did it for fun. All those people that were slandered and insulted, he just let it happen and didn't seem to care. Having been a target of much of the abuse towards the end of that forum I don't have a lot of nice things to say.

aupatkingslowskispray