Your Current Personal Best versus your Early Personal Best

swbcaswbca Posts: 699 Crazy Baller
edited December 2021 in Mostly Slalom
PB Trajectory with Age
There are few skiers in every region that have been skiing in tournaments for a lifetime. Measured by tournament best performances, some ski better with more years and some don't. Very Few skiers had great skis a few decades ago. Those who got lucky on a ski selection and had effective ski tuning skills had the best performances, making it harder for them to improve scores 20 or 30 years later.

What's your story ? There are many variables to explain every lifetime skier's performance trajectory.
If your current performance is less than before, where did the performance go ? Was it "the trifecta of aging" or something more specific | fragile orthopedic conditions | added weight | less access to practice | other

Deduct 1 Pass from your current PB for every 2mph difference in speed with your old PB
Home of the world's first submersible slalom course

Your Current Personal Best versus your Early Personal Best 58 votes

My PB in the last 2 years is about 4 PASSES LESS than my best from a few decades ago.
3%
david_skimike_mapple 2 votes
My PB in the last 2 years is about 3 PASSES LESS than my best from a few decades ago.
6%
tjmVONMANskiermkTurn6 4 votes
My PB in the last 2 years is about2 PASSES LESS than my best from a few decades ago.
12%
skiepCamSunapeeBruce_ButterfieldLeonLdbaconazBTheis 7 votes
My PB in the last 2 years is about 1 PASS LESS than my best from a few decades ago.
13%
skiinxsrfaMichaelGoodmanMoskier3evNameUnavailableGarHockdogETskier 8 votes
My PB in the last 2 years is about THE SAME AS my best from a few decades ago.
24%
HortontsixamLZywicki1Than_BoganbkoAndreDeanoskilpskierbuechsrZmanLuzzadkh2oskierjnan66o2bnMaine 14 votes
My PB in the last 2 years is about 1 PASS MORE than my best from a few decades ago.
8%
KelvinAliJackQALPJrRAWSki 5 votes
My PB in the last 2 years is about 2 PASSES MORE than my best from a few decades ago.
15%
vtjcDkLkSkrBlueSkiBMG73jetpilotg4Vernon ReeveCGSki503KentoJared 9 votes
My PB in the last 2 years is about 3 PASSES MORE than my best from a few decades ago.
5%
BobFdchristmanjercrane 3 votes
My PB in the last 2 years is about 4 PASSES MORE than my best from a few decades ago.
6%
ricoDeep11JWebSki2Valve 4 votes
I don't remember but have something to say in comments below.
3%
ForrestGumpMichaelWiebe 2 votes

Comments

• swbcaswbca Posts: 699 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2021
    At age 21, I got lucky on ski selection plus some tuning on a wood Obrien Mach-1. I got the ski from Leroy Burnett, the 1966 boys slalom sensation who was running 36off at 36mph, outperforming the top men in many tournaments. My tournament PB on the Mach-1 was [email protected]/36mph in 1967. 20 years later my tournament PB was about the same, stuck on 1.5 at 38off/34 mph and never changed till I quit. Now 30 more years later I have had 1/2 of a season trying to start over, but didn't have access to a course, so I ski like **** and don't know what will happen in the next couple of years. That's why I posted this pole, to see what others have done.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 7,041 Mega Baller
    More accurately, I'm down about a half pass from 30 to 50. Naturally, I've declined more than that, but equipment has almost made up for it.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    customskiadamhcaldwell
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 398 Crazy Baller
    Yes and No. I'm better than I was in my 20's but over the last 3-4 years I've had to take a step back and fix all my bad technique. No longer can I just muscle and crank the crap out of the turn - my body can't take it. I've actually lost a pass working with Trent F. but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Much easier and lighter and more efficient and my body loves what I'm doing.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
    swbca2Valve
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 6,063 Mega Baller
    Peaked in my mid to late 30's but that had to do with preserved physicality and some actual coaching and thought. As a non-coached hack pulling hard on the line I was running 32 off at 36 and an occasional 35 off at 36, then running 35 off at 34 and some 38's. Some coaching early on I believe would have made a world of difference for me--maybe cudda run 38 more often, maybe a more legit chance at 39. Had a lot of fun.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 499 Open or Level 9 Skier
    My PB in the last 2 years is about 1 PASS MORE than my best from a few decades ago.
    My personal best was two years ago at 65 years of age. Since then slowing down to 32mph, muddies the comparison as there is not a 6 buoy advantage particularly at extreme shoreline. Up to that point I was gaining about 1/2 buoy a year which doesn’t sound significant but considering many lose buoys in their 60’s it was a difficult endeavor.
    swbcaCam
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,311 Mega Baller
    This is almost an interesting pole. So many things impact performance over the years.
    I think ski selection and tuning are way down in the noise as compared with regular access to a course, injuries, proper fitness and coaching. I've been pretty serious about skiing for the last about 20 years and have improved over time, although PBs come slower as you get better. At some point your ability to continue improving runs into the physical limitations of age. I'm pretty sure I'm close to that point now at 60.
    Carl Addington, Cedar Ridge, MS
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,844 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    If you can stay healthy, you can get better. I came off of 2 years of knee, thyroid and a few other issues that made it hard to maintain. Skiing went to crap but 2 healthy years since and I’m back to where I was and maybe a bit better.
    As long as I can ski better then @Horton all is good.
    jriester33swbcaJordan
  • Fastguy888Fastguy888 Posts: 118 Baller
    I envy those who have been able to find the limiting factor to their current progression to be skill or physicality.

In 1998 on Sac State Ski team we all skied at 34 mph, I don't think they had speed based scoring back then. Trying to break into the team I never completed a full pass; Every chance I had on the course (about 1 set per week for 4 months a year) I went for a PB and score that would be good enough to get me on the traveling team and got [email protected] Off 34MPH about 10 times. Ironically I probably didnt have the experience to complete a pass at 15Off34MPH back then. I am every so grateful for those limited sets, but it was water time that limited my progression.

Took a 22 year break never skiing, and now at 44 years old back at it with more course time than ever getting about a set a month in Winter and skiing course weekly in summer. Very happy to have gone from not skiing in 22 years to [email protected] 32MPH and easily clearing [email protected] 30MPH in less than 20 sets over the last 22 years.
  • MichaelGoodmanMichaelGoodman Posts: 211 Baller
    My PB in the last 2 years is about 1 PASS LESS than my best from a few decades ago.
    Tried skiing in a course for the first time at 30 years old was able to make full passes on
    first set not sure of the speed probably was 30 mph. Set course up following spring
    and started skiing fairly regularly when conditions would allow (big public lake lots of
    wind and boats and could not ski before 9 AM of after 7 PM ran first 32 off in a tournament when I dropped down to 34 MPH at 35 years old (ran it in a tournament way before in practice due to better drivers and conditions) Ran 32 off in tournament at
    least one set for the next 20 years or so. Took me until age 55 to run 35 off only did it once and it was in practice but with Z0 and a rated driver. Best tournament score is 3.5 at
    35 off. Now I am 65 ran a bunch of 5 at 32 off last year did not run it at 34 MPH ran a best of 4 at 35 off 32MPH. Never had any real coaching for the most part which I think really hurt especially early on when I formed tons of bad habits.
    MISkiercustomski
  • o2bnMaineo2bnMaine Posts: 97 Baller
    Hmm. I didn't know how to answer this one. I hit 3.5 @ 35-off @ 36mph ~15 years ago the only time I ever attempted 35-off. Today, I'm at 4 @ 35-off @ 34.2mph. The difference is I can do 32-off much much smoother than the one time I slammed my way through (and completed!) the ONLY 32-off pass at 36mph I ever attempted. The other day, I got 5 of 6 32-off passes; albeit at 34.2 instead of 36. Today, I know I am a much better skier than I was back then.

So! How does speed factor into PBs?!
    Bill

'19 Denali c75 (S)
    '09 Malibu Response LX
    adamhcaldwell
    edited May 10
    @o2bnMaine The poll question at the top of this thread suggested this answer to your question.

"Deduct 1 Pass from your current PB for every 2mph difference in speed with your old PB"

Its not a perfect answer because 2mph difference in speed and 1 line-length difference are not perfect equivalents in difficulty. However AWSA Class C tournament rules that allow a skier to ski above his division's maximum speed treat 2mph as 1 rope length increment (6pts).

In your case your PB now at 34mph is about the same as it was at 36mph ~15 years ago, so looks like you lost about 1 pass over those years.

As noted its not a perfect measurement of better or worse.
    o2bnMaine
  • ETskierETskier Posts: 151 Baller
    I was never great. From 02 - 09 I consistently ran 32 and got a few at 35 in M4 in tournaments. Then ZO came about. I didn't adapt well, then got older. Now in M7 and going slower, only run 32 once in a while in practice. Got 4 at 32off last fall, then retired from tournaments.
  • JaredJared Posts: 11 New Baller
    My PB in the last 2 years is about 2 PASSES MORE than my best from a few decades ago.
    I was running [email protected] about 10 year ago, skiing 3-4 days / week, 4-5 months / year.

Had kids, my course is 2 hours out of town, dropped to averaging 1 ski day/week 3-4 month/year. got stuck around 4 ball at 22 off almost every pass, only getting 10-15 days / year in the course wasn't enough.

Last year told the wife and kids that I am probably close to slowing down to 34, and I'd like to see how far I can make it before I do. So we went harder, I think I got about 40-45 days in the course, probably averaged 3 days/week. by July ran 28 off almost every set, by august made it through 32.

We've had a pretty brutal spring in Alberta so far (it snowed again on Monday night this week), so I haven't really gotten going yet. I was planning to go hard again this year, hoping to get through 32 consistently and make some progress on 35.
    Rednucleus
    Picked up the sport late, got to [email protected] off at 36 and ran 35 in practice. Slowed to 34 mph and tourney PB [email protected] 4 in practice. This was roughly age 40. 4 surgeries between 40-49 (3 of 'em spine for 4 total spine procedures) and I'm basically out--can no longer ski or do lots of other things I like requiring physicality. Last power-lifting record (still stands) was also 10 years ago. Crappy decade from alpha to can't do it--pretty humbling.
    customskiswbca
  • SlalomSteveSlalomSteve Posts: 146 Baller
    @6balls always be alpha in my mind
    swbcaRednucleus6balls
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,719 Crazy Baller
    My PB in the last 2 years is about2 PASSES LESS than my best from a few decades ago.
    I can't put my finger on the specifics of decline due to age, but I have no physical problems to blame. It's kind of mysterious; slower reaction time, less flexibility?
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    @LeonL I think there are some parallels to snow skiing with age which may shed some light on your mystery.

35off and beyond is like Mogul skiing, requiring greater strength and much faster more extreme body mechanics when compared to "cruising" long sweeping turns in either sport. My lifetime snow skiing peers still snow ski with great form on steep groomed hills or 12" of powder in their 70's where technique is the principal requirement. But none of can keep up on steep mogul runs, so we don't try. In brief, in both sports technique endures while athleticism declines with age.

35 off mentioned above is arbitrary, some guys can cruise 32off with technique alone. Other older guys may have cruise techniques that carry them to 22off or 35off.
    Bruce_Butterfield
  • rfarfa Posts: 302 Solid Baller
    Roughly
    Started skiing at 40
    50 - late 50s: PB [email protected]/34mph
    65 - present (68): PB [email protected]/32mph
    Looks like a full pass lower
    Rui Afonso
    MISkier
    @rfa pretty nice skiing there on the late pick up
    rfa
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,765 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @rfa Rui, you PBed when you got married! Please kiss your bride for me.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    rfa
  • Deep11Deep11 Posts: 247 Solid Baller
    My PB in the last 2 years is about 4 PASSES MORE than my best from a few decades ago.
    Started in slalom course at age about 15 - got to 18m at 34mph (hand driven behind an old Bosch) before went off to uni. Did a few yrs ski racing whilst at uni due to the social side and availability. Gave up all skiing for about 15yrs while started and developed my business.
    Took it up again at age 40 bashing away at 18m 36mph.
    Realised at age 45 that didnt need to ski 36mph (Too much testosterone at our site!)
    Became a slalom “student” and sought out the right coaches for me to develop the correct technique at 34mph.
    Progressed until the season before covid, at 55, I was running 12m every set, ran 11.25 twice and had a practice pb of [email protected] (39off)
    The covid yrs and lack of time on the water have messed with my skiing and I didn’t look at 11.25 during them - this year!
    customski6balls
  • ETskierETskier Posts: 151 Baller
    @rfa so you're 25 years older age 68 and still at the same level, only at 32mph. That's awesome! Most of us at that age can only only hope to maintain. Kudos.
    rfa