Electric motor tech marches on

UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,899 Mega Baller
edited February 4 in Boat Talk
This is freekin cool. 355 HP and 443 lb-ft of torque (at idle RPM) out of a 63 lb motor.

If I got rid of the 900 lb block and the stern-mounted fuel tank, I could tolerate a lot of battery weight, especially if I could strategically place it for best performance. Link

boats are like girlfriends you love them however there is another one around the corner - bananaron, July 21, 2020
jjackkrashRednucleusALPJrjayskiVernon Reevejpattigr

Comments

• Not_The_PugNot_The_Pug Posts: 678 Crazy Baller
    Cool Tech, but how much will a Koenigsegg motor be? Their cars are affordable. :smile:
    Hortonswc5150aupatking
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,899 Mega Baller
    Yeah, but the tech will trickle down. This is a look at the possible.
    boats are like girlfriends you love them however there is another one around the corner - bananaron, July 21, 2020
  • MastercrafterMastercrafter Posts: 388 Crazy Baller
    Someone needs to start designing solar panel boat hoist covers with integrated chargers. I'd be curious, on average, how much run time could be obtained per day via solar. Enough for 30-60 minutes of skiing?

I dig it. As much as I think there's no replacement for displacement.. the electric think is cool too.
  • Vernon ReeveVernon Reeve Posts: 114 Baller
    It would be interesting if boats got too light to track properly. Then we could start adding/removing weight until the perfect balance of tracking vs wake size is reached for the 3 events.
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 817 Crazy Baller
    edited February 4
    @vernonreeve
    The battery weight will more than compensate for the engine weight saved. Shouldn’t be an issue in the near term.
  • chrislandychrislandy Posts: 356 Crazy Baller
    edited February 4
    @Mastercrafter I've run some numbers on this previously, solar charging will only be good for those who only ski for a short period then leave for the rest of the week to recharge.

Shore fast charging on the other hand is a different game altogether, combined with different styles of usage e.g. lake sharing where limited numbers are allowed on at a time so there is a gap decent gap between ski's or if you ski for 2hrs then break for a few, then repeat. It will work for some, and not for others.

Ski Club boats on the other hand will need H2 fuel cell to go electric and have a quick turnaround (or a large heavy battery and a 200kW supercharger lakeside)

I should qualify the above with that I've been running EV's for 6months or so, so have real world experience with charging and recharging!
    Edmund