Wake Energy Study - U of Minnesota

DWDW Posts: 2,508 Mega Baller
The YouTube presentation of the University of Minnesota boat wake energy study:

The report is also available here: https://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/11299/226190

It demonstrates the differences in wake energy from 4 boats run in various conditions. I noted one significant missing test parameter, the ski boat was not tested at a typical ski speed.

Comments

• LarsLars Posts: 231 Baller
    They also didn't test the response without the wedge down.
    BrennanKMN
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,399 Administrator
    I tried to watch it but I fell asleep

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

Mastercrafter
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 999 Crazy Baller
    edited February 24
    Now that’s an endorsement………. :D
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,549 Mega Baller
    I made it through 10 seconds.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Mastercrafter
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    edited February 24
    I find a little frustrating that the title doesn't contain anything about wake surfing, but they sure seem to focus on it very heavily. They never even tested the Response without the wedge... It was a report showing that wake boats with wake boat features make bigger waves than non-wake boats.

I think what was most frustrating was 3.6.2, Malibu Response LX operation conditions for condition 2:
    The Condition 2 variables were set to model conditions commonly used during tubing,
    waterskiing, and wakeboarding (Table 3). The boat traveled in a planing condition at 20 mph with
    no wake shaper attached (symmetric wake). The passenger sat in the middle of the boat next to
    the boat operator to evenly distribute weight. The hydrofoil was placed in the downward position
    creating downward force and additional aft trim.

Come on! At least test it under 20MPH with no wedge and 30+MPH with no wedge if you want to actually provide a range of data. Same for the wake boats...

No boat was ever tested faster than 20MPH, and no boat that had a wedge was ever tested without it. The whole test was designed to make the biggest waves possible. The whole thing felt very bias...

In case anyone cares, this particular organization had a lot of skin in the game:
    https://safewakes.org/

Wish
  • DWDW Posts: 2,508 Mega Baller
    It may not be the most exciting presentation or report to read although I would caution that it appears to be the one source of measured data that could be used in crafting inland lake regulations. As others have noted, as I did, the report does not account for many of the typical operating conditions, specifically for those on this forum, a ski boat operating at typical ski speeds and conditions. It appears to me that the group could expand or continue the testing where experts in the field could recommend testing conditions. That option was left on the table from what I gleaned in the webcast. I plan to contact them and suggest that very thing.

This report has garnered significant traction, I have seen it pop up and referenced / shared in various groups / postings / emails / websites, etc. In addition to safewakes, other state organizations have posted it (Michigan Lakes and Streams as an example). These organizations have support when suggesting legislation.
    2ValveJayShowerThan_Bogan