Another Ski Recommendation Question

maaasimpmaaasimp Posts: 5 New Baller
Hello all,

I am looking for a new ski and have been reading through posts for information. I've been on the same ski for so long that I'm overwhelmed! I finally decided to just throw it out there and see what recommendations I get!

I am a 5'2" female and ski mostly on a slalom course at 15 off, 30-32 mph. I have been using a 64" KD7000 for a LONG time. I'm not sure of the exact year, but I know that I bought it used in ~2004-2005. Before that, I used a KD4000 and that was the first quality ski that I had ever used. So, KD is really all that I know. I now have a rip in a binding and plan to get a new ski, instead of new binding. I'm convinced that any new ski will be an "upgrade", but am not sure where to start.

I have been looking at ski-it-again.com and keep looking at 65" Radar Vapors. Any advice for a smooth transition from a LONG time on a KD7000?

Thank you,
Mindy

Comments

• Fastguy888Fastguy888 Posts: 125 Baller
    I was on a 1998 Connelly Revolution in 1999 (skiing for Sac State) and didn't ski again until 2019 and can appreciate your question @maaasimp . This forum recommended a Senate Pro but I cheeped out and got a Senate Graphite. I am now on a Senate Pro and likely to get a Vapor Pro soon; I should have researched more as the Radar "Pro" models are very different - return more energy in a good way.

What surprised me with the new Ski's including the Graphite; but especially the Pro, are how active they are. My old Connelly was as stiff as a chunk of steel. What I mean by active is how they are engineered to flex more and return that energy in a good way to improve your skiing. I have not ridden a KD7000 but similar vintage skies.

Possibly binding technology advances will change your feel even more than the Ski. I think it likely that whatever Brand or model of a newer high-end ski & Bindings you wont be disappointed. I would bet it will feel different from your KD7000, but not foreign or uncontrolled.

It may seem complex or cumbersome to take advantage of some of the demo programs out there; but you probably wont regret it.

Lastly remember to form your own opinion on what you like; if you end up liking a different ski than the ski "your supposed to like" this does not mean you are ill-informed or a bad skier, just means you like what you like. Confidence in your ski is almost as important as its potential.
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 507 Baller
    I'll leave it to the experts, but I can tell you whatever ski you buy... give it several sets before you make up your mind. I hated my current ski the 1st time I tried it (felt very twitchy) but became my favorite ski.
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 1,008 Crazy Baller
    I’m a big Connelly fan of current generation. GTR and DV8 are great skis,but admittedly they prefer 32 or faster. They like to go fast
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,840 Mega Baller
    Call Performance Ski and Surf @perfski. They can get you going in the right direction.
  • mike_mapplemike_mapple Posts: 272 Water Ski Industry Professional
    hey @maaasimp Like mentioned above, what ever ski you end up with make sure you ski 4-6 sets on it before you make your mind up, as you will be making a major jump in technology. If you do end up wanting to buy from a shop and not just on ski it again, as we do offer returns / set up help ect, feel free to shoot me a PM or email me at the shop. Even if you buy off ski it again, and need help feel free to shoot me an email anytime!

I also would suggest the 65 in a senate pro, as the extra width it does have is very nice for the slower speeds. I know quite a few people here are on them as well.
    Perfski.com
    407-859-7544
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

If you have a blister, pop it, pour some lemon juice on it, and then add salt. -Andy Mapple
    Horton
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 3,002 Mega Baller
    My wife is 5'2" as well. She was a competitive skier during college but is recreational now. She was on an older Kidder Red Line, then Connelly Concept. A few years back, I got a smoking deal on a 2016 Radar Vapor for her. I was worried that it would be too much ski for her. We also had access to a mid-range Radar ski of the same size. She tried them both. Ultimately, she liked the Vapor best. This was Radar's flagship ski at the time.

My point is that the top line ski should never be assumed to be "too much ski" for an established skier. Particularly with Radar products, I know of several beginner to intermediate skiers who have made huge strides after grabbing a Vapor. They all stopped working so hard, stopped being on a verge of falls, etc. Rather, they become more smooth and confident skiers within a handful of sets.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    MDB1056aupatking
  • maaasimpmaaasimp Posts: 5 New Baller
    Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Agree that bindings will be a significant difference and I need to figure that out.
    I definitely need to give a new ski time before I decide I don't like it. I don't like change (obviously), so I will have to be patient!
    I was skiing at 32-34 mph for a while and long ago competed in INT tournaments. However, I crashed hard a few years ago and busted an eardrum, which resulted in 3 surgeries to get my hearing back, and ... I think I fear the speed. Maybe I can get some confidence back on a different ski - at least that is what I am telling myself.
  • maaasimpmaaasimp Posts: 5 New Baller
    @ToddL What length Radar Vapor does your wife ski on?
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,795 Mega Baller
    Whatever ski you go with, stick with the same boots. Find the boots that fit you best. I have more sets in Radar boots than anything other than my Reflex releasable boot setup, and really feel comfortable skiing up to my limits in their Vector line, up to their Vapor line of boots. I would not go lower than their Vectors. I have not found an HO boot I like other than the old rubber Animal boot, or their top Syndicate releasable boot.
    D3 also make very good boots, but my only experience is in their Leverage rubber boot, and it was positive as well.
    Are you a double boot, or front boot, rear toe skier?
    I will always be a fan of releasable boots, like the Reflex, Syndicate, and even the Vapor used as a releasable boot, but that change may be something that you would want to sort out after getting comfortable in something you like and on a ski you like
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 3,002 Mega Baller
    @maaasimp - length is a factor often based on weight and speed. She currently skis slow speeds. Her ski is a 65". When she was younger and competing during early collegiate years, she skied on a 62" ski. You should seek a ski that will not ride tail deep in the water while gliding at your primary speed. The deeper the ski rides, especially tail deep, the more effort you will feel and use to make a pass. Some say that you want the largest ski you can still turn aggressively. These current generation skis all are quite capable of this.

I don't know your situation well enough to make a personal recommendation on ski length.

One thing to consider is purchasing a set of newer bindings. You will likely need current generation bindings to put only a newer ski since your old ones probably have a different hole pattern on the plate. Also as you may already be aware, most skis are sold as blank without bindings. With your own set of newer bindings, you could borrow friends and neighbor competitor's skis and swap bindings for a ride to determine what you like or dislike about various make/models and ski sizes.

Again, the Radar product line has highly universal binding plate hole configurations such that they will mount onto nearly every manufacturer's skis in the past handful of years. Wiley's bindings also have very universal binding plate hole configurations.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 1,129 Mega Baller
    My boy and his cousins (junior skiers) are all on Vapors and have been since their start speed was 23 mph. It took my boy about a year to go from 23 MPH/22 off to just getting into 34/28 off last season. Just make sure you are in the middle to low end of the recommended weight range and go shred. The Vapor works great at slower speeds as long as you are not too heavy for it. Any Vapor that fits you will be light years ahead of that KD.