Wiley Wrap Extender?

BKistlerBKistler Posts: 54 Baller
I'm experimenting with a way to extend the life of Wiley cross wraps that seems to be working.

The wraps always fail at the top of the cuff. The rubber begins to craze at the stress point and then all it takes is one small split and the whole thing blows out. This season I coated the stress point of the wrap with Shoe Goo. (If you aren't familiar with Shoe Goo, let me introduce you to the best fix it tool since duct tape. It's a vinyl gel that is used to repair sneaker soles and other rubber goods.)

It's a challenge coating the wrap without glueing the wrap to the toe or heel pieces, but with clamps and/or wedges you can separate the wrap enough to let the gel dry. It seems to be working like a charm. I think I'll have to recoat it from time to time. The Shoe Goo patch is ugly but it beats having to replace the wrap.

Comments

• skialexskialex Posts: 1,352 Mega Baller
    They are $24 a pair and last for several years, why wanting to have a boot that looks ugly just to extend the life of something that inexpensive? When it stars cracking, use scissors to remove few millimeters, before it cracks open and order new.
    BraceMaker
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 5,134 Mega Baller
    the issue is if you are set up replace the wraps. A few longer screws some plain nuts a few clamps and a Wiley takes about 15 minutes.
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,372 Mega Baller
    Ugly aside, I would suspect you are just moving the stress point to the area where goo coverage ends. Plus there will be extra stress on that area because you are limiting the stretch in the targeted area. I love Shoe Goo, but I don't think it'll help prolong the wrap life. Really you ought to give Reflex a try again. I went back and forth between rubber and Reflex for a bit, but I think it's worth it for the convenience. No soap, no cramping, easy to clip back in in the water. You being a FL guy this benefit may not appeal to you as much as it does to me - I can put my dry boot on easily during the winter and clip into my Spooner for some dry land practice.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
  • BKistlerBKistler Posts: 54 Baller
    Replacing a wrap is a huge pain in the ass, so if I can extend the life I’ll do it. I know from personal experience and have read previous BOS posts on the subject. Trimming the top might work. I don’t think the Shoe Goo is transferring the stress point. It seems to be flexing and protecting the edge. Time will tell.

I’d love to use a hard shell. I’ve tried multiple times. I lock-out sometimes on simple tricks like TWB and haven’t found a solution. Probably won’t change this season anyhow.
    I will try longer bolts the next time I blow out a wrap.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 5,134 Mega Baller
    Basically you just assemble it with the longer screws with regular nuts draw it all snug then clamp the horseshoe around where you are working and replace the long screw with the factory screw and acorn nut.

Works for all the various boots, if you think the slalom boots are tough try the pro jump boots.
    Thanks. I'll try it.