Barefoot boats

Ausbun324Ausbun324 Posts: 12 Baller
Looking into purchasing a barefoot warrior comp. The newer model. Anyone have any slalom experience behind these. A buddy has a barefoot sanger and for our free skiing we love this setup and the ability to run 60 mph is a huge bonus. Looking for photos of the back of these centurion boats as well as the one I am looking into seems to have some kind of jacking plate. Not sure if this is standard or an option. Thanks for any help ballers.

Comments

• wettek69wettek69 Posts: 191 Baller
    A jacking plate simply allows you to adjust/ fine tune your outboard height without the hassle of removing it, resealing bolt holes etc. Lifting your engine reduces the amount of gearcase/leg dragging through the water, often resulting in higher rpms (you may need to change props) but can negatively impact the wake as the prop gets closer to the surface. Conversely, lowering your outboard creates more drag, slowing you down, but can improve your wake. They are great for fine tuning. BUT, because they extend your outboard off the transom, excessive trim out can make your boat porpoise or even get a bit flighty at higher speeds, and can also put a lot of stress on your transom. If you want to race around, lift it up and put a big prop on, if you want a good wake and bottom end, drop it down a bit. It's trial and error to find the height that works for you.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 6,200 Mega Baller
    edited April 26
    Also be mindful of cavitation when turning. If you motor is too high your prop will grab air in sharper turns. We had a jack plate on my Centurion Falcon Barefoot as we came from "hot" speed boats and thought it would make our Centurion Faster trimmed out up top. It really didn't. As noted above we found the best position for wake, no cavitation in turns, and then we just left it there.
    People with hot boats will get cleaver props and jack it up really high to get best speed. They also then have a custom water intake down low so the intake stays in the water even though the motor is so high--otherwise the stock water intakes become ineffective.
    We had a water pressure guage installed on the dash.

My guess is like us--once you had more of a ski boat not a "scream and fly boat", the jack plate will be set it and forget it for you.

Other than that, the newer Warrior had better build quality than the older model. It will have a nice wake, but not nice like that outboard Sanger--there is literally no barefoot wake as nice as that one. The Sanger tracks really nice, too.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • GregHindGregHind Posts: 400 Crazy Baller
    A jacking plate will also change the centre of gravity of the boat by moving the engine back further from the running surface of the hull that lifts it. This makes the rear sit deeper in the water and makes the wake bigger especially at low speeds. It all depends how much the plate sets the motor back.
    6balls
  • Ausbun324Ausbun324 Posts: 12 Baller

Not sure if these uploads will work but this is the plate I was talking about on this warrior. Anybody know much about this style boat and what they usually have on them
  • GregHindGregHind Posts: 400 Crazy Baller
    Is that a race motor?
  • TomHTomH Posts: 80 Baller
    I had to dig around because the rear was throwing me off (all the older barefoot warriors had teak platforms and a motor well). That is pretty much the last version (1997ish) of the warrior, and that is in fact the standard motor mount for that vintage. I don't think there were more than a handful of that version made.
    yeah I've only seen one in the wild over the years, and yes that is a Merc 2.5 racing motor. Not sure how the hole shot would be, but should be hot up at top end. Might have the lower water intake as well--yet appears to have a hi-5 prop which is a ski prop not a partial cavitating high speed prop.
    @wish you got a boat buyers guide with this in it?
  • buechsrbuechsr Posts: 214 Baller
  • VONMANVONMAN Posts: 366 Crazy Baller
    For skiing on my Bare Foot Warrior I run with the motor jack full down. Two reasons, best wake with 2 seconds of trim (up trim not jack when the skier is up) and rope clearance. When pulling to bare footers after they are up I jack and trim 1 second each. For cruising I set Star Gazer a 3300 rpm which is good for 31mph then trim the motor to balance the steering then raise the jack plate (Electric screw jack not hydraulic). RPM's are still 3300 but speed is 37mph. I just did a video walk around of my boat check it out U-Tube Type: Ernie Schlager
    to view.
    Ernie Schlager

A Good One Ball Gives You Six
    @vonman what year is your warrior?
    @6balls 1992, re-powered in 2015.
    Ernie Schlager

• bananaronbananaron Posts: 591 Mega Baller
    I had a hydrostream with a 200hp merc with a jackplate on it.The boat was very fast and was difficult to get up some times due to the jackplate however the wake was fantastic for barefoot and also slalom.You had to have a good driver to drive the boat if you were skiing and no one would ride with me if I was going full throttle.It would chine walk and you had to work to control the boat at high speeds.Great boat to ski and really fun to drive.....

Ron Engblom Brainerd lakes,minnesota

@vonman cool boat ours was a ‘88. Then a ‘91 Falcon Barefoot.
    I think this guy is looking at the ‘94 Hull that was very short lived. Lighter in the nose than ours probably gets more top end.
    The one I skied(only one I ever saw) I’d say wake was good. Not as good as Flighty or Sanger of the day. Build quality seemed an improvement tho.
  • Ausbun324Ausbun324 Posts: 12 Baller
    Not so sure it is the 2.5 racing motor. Owner told me it was a different bonnet on a merc 220 but I don't believe there is a 220 in that Era. Maybe a 200 of 225. It is carbed and the nose cone looks to be one of the aftermarket add on.
  • wettek69wettek69 Posts: 191 Baller
    Yeah, looks like a Bobs Machine after market low water pick up and cone.
    @6balls I did have a chance to ski behind the last design of the 1994, not bad for skiing but I think is setup/designed for footing in mind. My 92 was better ski and driver feel.
    Ernie Schlager

@vonman yes the prior model tracked really well for skiing, no spray, killer hole shot as u know. Was a fun boat. We got the Falcon to get more space. It turned out great.