Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video front Page BOS

Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,659 Mega Baller
edited March 2011 in News & Other Stuff
<p>
Horton,
</p>
<p>
Thanks for putting up that great video. Their are some pretty big name skiers in it. Love the old HydroDyne.
</p>
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Comments

• 94009400 Posts: 600 Crazy Baller
    <p>
    Good stuff, I'm pretty sure I see Kris and Bob Lapoint (that ski Kris is riding looks pretty small). Is that Mike Suyderhoud in the red jump helmet? Who are the other skiers. This is taking it back a little ways. That Hydrodyne and the nautique were very, very small back in the day.
    </p>
    <p>

</p>
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 6,044
    <p>
    I'm pretty sure that is Suyderhoud.  Take a look at the angle he takes into the first wake on those little jump skis. 
    </p>
    <p>
    Can you imagine all the bitching we'd hear if any of us had to ski behind those old boats.  Maybe for the ballers bash we need to find a 68-73 MC or CC for one round. :)
    </p>
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• 19skier19skier Posts: 109 Baller
    Best video I've watched all winter - thank you!
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,216 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Awesome video - the year I was born!  You guys should not only use an old boat at the bash, but also give it a shot on one of those old skis!  That would be really fun to watch! 
    Scott Calderwood
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,397 Administrator
    Jumper with red helmet not Mike. Guess again

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• 94009400 Posts: 600 Crazy Baller
    If it wasn't Mike S., my next guess was Bob....any closer? Kris was option 3, I'm pretty sure he quit jumping early in his career.
  • RBRB Posts: 67 Baller
    <p>
     The second slalom skier looks like he's riding the same O'brien we still have in our ski shed.
    </p>
    <p>
    It keeps the Connelly Hook company these days.
    </p>
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,588 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited March 2011
    I saw Jack Hanna a.k.a. Bernie (from a weekend at Bernies) slaloming in the video. Did Barton jump??
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,007 Crazy Baller
    That is a great video! Someone should bring back the "Life Belt" lol.
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • konakona Posts: 529 Baller
    Good stuff.
    Bob Boyle - I am my girls father
    The life belt is $20 at overtons.com!  How many of those can they actually sell nowadays!!??
    Scott Calderwood
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,283 Mega Baller
    Jumper in red helmet was BLP. I love the "hippy athlete" look - long hair, beards, but athletic and strong. Suyderhoud had to be in there somewhere, but couldn't tell exactly where. Blond tricker was Russ Stiffler (?) Tan tricker w/ speedo (common tricker attire back then) was Carlos Suarez (?) KLP was obvious as was BLP slaloming.  
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 6,044
    I wondered if that might have been BLP too. I never realized he was that strong of a jumper. 
    Shane "Crash" Hill

What kind of rope lengths were those guys running back then?  They're ripping it up on antique cabin wall decorations!
    Scott Calderwood
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,283 Mega Baller
    <p>
    BLP was a pretty dang good jumper - like 170s back when the record was 180. Think he jumped until the mid-1980s. He took same bad crashes, though. Once reportedly bruised his heart on a bad out the front. That might've been Suyderhoud at about 0:46 going out the front. Guy was wearing a sling on his left arm, which Mike did.
    </p>
    <p>
    Great athletes on primitive equipment (not at the time). Look how damn small those jump skis were. Seriously there are powder skis bigger than that now. Thing that impressed me was how solid and smoothe KLP looked. BLP looked good, too, but a little more radical. Let's see - in '73 I was 15, so BLP must've been about 17 or 18 and KLP maybe 19 or 20 or so? Something like that.
    </p>
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,546 Crazy Baller
    Kris is the same age as me, so in 73 he would have been 20 (depending on his BD of course).
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    <p>
    This is a note my mom wrote:
    </p>
    <div class="idc-c-t-inner">
    Dr. Jack Horton is so pleased to have this film resurrected for all to see. Our thanks to my brother, Ned and his wife Michele, for transferring this to DVD and for work on color correction, as the original had deteriorated significantly. I hope many will view and enjoy the 'good old days' at Horton Lakes.
    </div>

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• konakona Posts: 529 Baller
    Thanks again for the look back.
    Bob Boyle - I am my girls father
  • WishWish Posts: 7,747 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So right after the first slalom skier falls you get a glimps of the driver. Why does he have a surgical mask on? Love the VW vans and old truck campers in the background giving that extra groovy feeling. How hard was it to keep a Dyne going straight with a slolam skier in tow?? And does anyone else feel woosified with our Clincher gloves, hard shell boots, back brace vests, protective eye wear, skies that are "forgiving", and flat flat wakes?
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,007 Crazy Baller
    That is true, but we all had to have a few years of neon colours to get here….
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,925 Mega Baller
    That is an awesome video very cool.
    Mark Shaffer
    The guy with the surgical mask is probably my dad.

• teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 782 Crazy Baller
    One of our members has an old,old,old,old mastercraft I bet he would love to bring. We could throw a PP classic on it. Or try a PP ZO demo. What do think JD do I hear Friday Night Bonus Round!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    with that boat it must be hand drive

• SMSM Posts: 529 Crazy Baller
    Awesome video, I love the narration.
    Time spent on the water is time well spent.
  • That is a great video Horton. By far the coolest ski video I have seen in a long time. I can not believe how well they rip on the equipment available back in the day.
  • D WoltersD Wolters Posts: 139 Baller
    <p>
    One of my friends is restoring his single owner 1976 CC. If he finish's putting it back together in time I could bring it to the Baller's Bash.
    </p>
    <p>
    Watching that video reminded me of skiing behind it when it was brand new.
    </p>
    <p>
    Awesome video...  
    </p>
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,493 Mega Baller
    That was really cool JTH! My first tournament was behind a hydrodyne! Can't remember if it was OB or IO though. Other boat there was Dave Sauciers magenta and orange Mastercraft. Really intimidating looking boats in the morning light and fog at Sauciers Lake X. Many memories there over the years. Got to watch George Athans, Camille and Sammy Duval, to name just a few. I always thought an antique ski boat round would be awesome fun just for kicks. I owned a 72 Hydrodyne IO for 20 years. Not as hard to drive as it looks, just different.
    Stir vigorously then leave!