100 Years of Water-Skiing

jriester33jriester33 Posts: 30 Baller
Hello Ballers!

July 2nd 2022 will mark the 100th Anniversary of water-skiing being invented. For those that are not familiar with the story, Ralph Samuelson of Lake City MN is credited for being the first to waterski on the hallowed waters of Lake Pepin in the summer of 1922. His first equipment consisted of barrel staves for skis being pulled at 20mph. There is no mention or evidence of an abundance of alcohol being part of this monumental feat, but almost certainly (but probably not) the phrase “shut up and hold my beer” was spoken in a voice similar to @thager's prior to jumping in the water.

My favorite part of water-skiing is the family, friends, and cold beers that make enjoying it so much fun. Please share your favorite memories/pictures/stories that define water-skiing and what it means to you. Cheers Ralph, thank you for sending it!
Cooper_TrelawneyThan_BoganKimbymonjayskiLanceHCookBG1thagerSkiOrDieWishDWigkyaALPJrSkoot1123

Comments

• skibrainskibrain Posts: 269 Crazy Baller
    “Barrel staves” His skis might be more accurately described as narrow toboggans. 😊

BG1WishDWSkoot1123
  • PatMPatM Posts: 870 Crazy Baller
    Look more like jumpers for Frankenstein
    jriester33
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,566 Mega Baller
    Me thinks this picture is a bit older than the first time he skied!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    jriester33BKistler
  • DyscoDysco Posts: 86 Baller
    I've skied on Pepin several times with a buddy from Lake City. We transported out of the marina in the photo. It's certainly not a "slalom friendly" lake.
    jriester33