Steering cable 196 Ski Nautique

BadgerBadger Posts: 16
Wondering where the best place to buy a steering cable for 2006 Ski Nautique 190. Steering has got real stiff and all the discussion boards seem to think the only fix is a new cable.

Should I go with the genuine Nautique cable, or is there a good generic cable that would work?

Comments

• BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 963 Mega Baller
    Discount Inboard Marine is a safe bet:
    https://skidim.com/
    MDB1056Bruce_ButterfieldJody_Seal
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 6,112 Mega Baller
    Do rudder packing, too
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    MDB1056ISP6ball
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 510 Open or Level 9 Skier
    A generic cable does not have the same range (less) of motion (travel) as the proper cable. Cost more but not having the rudder move as far as it should is not pleasant. I found out the hard way, by the proper cable.
    BlueSki
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,318 Mega Baller
    I want to say the correct cable length is something and a half in length. Most generic vendors offer lengths in increments of a whole foot.
    Carl Addington, Cedar Ridge, MS
  • skihartskihart Posts: 545 Solid Baller
    The part you want is
    ssc15420 teleflex seastar
    It’s a 20 foot cable. We used this when we did my neighbors 2007 196 two years ago. Steering is like butter again. Just drove it again this weekend and was thinking to myself how smooth it is. One finger steering.
    Jody_Seal6balls
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 16
    Skihart:

Did you have to shorten the cable, or did it work right out of the box?

Badger
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,881 Mega Baller
    shorten the cable?

kinda like a board stretcher??

sorry could not resist..
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• skihartskihart Posts: 545 Solid Baller
    No it was good right out of the box. You cant shorten them as they are all factory terminated on both ends.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,770 Crazy Baller
    Got mine from DIM. Don't know the brand, whether it was "generic" or not but it works fine. 2008 196.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • GaryJanzigGaryJanzig Posts: 197 Baller
    edited June 2
    I replaced my whole steering system on my 1994 Ski Nautique(2170 hours), tilt, helm, cable, clamp block assembly. I also repacked the rudder port since it was leaking. I upgraded to the cable used in the 1998 and newer. nautiqueparts.com Took me a couple weekends in January to complete. Major improvement! The boat model is specified with the cables on the site. Go with genuine parts for sure..

thager