real world review of S-Lines

UCFskierUCFskier Posts: 166 Baller
Hey all
was super stoked to see S Lines at the most recent pro event. Has anyone gotten some time using them? Think its pretty cool that they are small batch, high level of quality control, and reasonably priced (less than half of the competition).

looking for your thoughts
THNX
!!!Support companies that support the protection of youth in Waterskiing!!!
randy meny

Comments

• randy menyrandy meny Posts: 60 Baller
    Skiing with S Line for about a month, great right out of the box.
    UCFskierballsohardPSM
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,902 Mega Baller
    I posted in another thread on this, but I took a couple sets to get used to my Competition (mid stretch) coming from a super stiff Radar mainline. I like a really stiff rope and will get the R3 next time I order, but now that I'm used to the Competition, I really dig it. Great rope at a great price. For reference, the Competition is less stretchy than a ML Optimized if you've used one of those.
    boats are like girlfriends you love them however there is another one around the corner - bananaron, July 21, 2020
    UCFskierPSM
  • UCFskierUCFskier Posts: 166 Baller
    honestly what has me thinking of switching is a buddy of mine got a knot in his new Masterline rope (which wont come out and likely has weakened the rope) Hes having to buy a new one at a cost of $200 (ouch)
    this has me liking the idea of a much more cost effective solution
  • WindsurfnutWindsurfnut Posts: 239 Baller
    Using a S series and have a torn bicep tendon. Having some of the best skiing ever in recent years with this rope. Highly recommended.
    Full disclosure, I'm a 32mph 15-28off skier.
    PSMUCFskier
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 621 Crazy Baller
    @UCFskier Has your buddy tried wetting the knot wrapping a rag around it and pounding it with a hammer? That has always worked for me loosening a knot out of a ski rope
    2000 Malibu Response LX 2019 65 HO Syndicate Omni Vapor Bindings
    ALPJrUCFskier
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 621 Crazy Baller
    @LeonL Good call on the soap. I forgot about that.
    2000 Malibu Response LX 2019 65 HO Syndicate Omni Vapor Bindings
  • UCFskierUCFskier Posts: 166 Baller
    @LeonL @foxriverat great thinking.... once his new S-Line shows up we will give that a go on his old rope. just incase he gets any fraying he will have his new rope on hand
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 618 Crazy Baller
    Satisfied S-Lines customer here - and I have a few friends who have purchased them after I gave it rave reviews. Here's a thread you can review:
    https://ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/26553/s-lines
  • dbaconazdbaconaz Posts: 180 Baller
    Solid, Great Ropes!! You will not be disappointed!!!
  • GaryJanzigGaryJanzig Posts: 197 Baller
    I have one Masterline slalom, and 3 Performance Pure ropes which are nearing the end of their life. Going to buy a new Masterline, and a pair of S lines in the future for sure to try them out.
  • Fastguy888Fastguy888 Posts: 125 Baller
    I love my S-Line. I was curios to know during the first sets at the Lake 38 Pro if adapting to the new ropes (first time in pro competition I think) was causing a bit of an adjustment period for the skiers. It looked like the skiers were getting a bit more slack and making more changes to Zero-Off than normal during Saturdays first round. Ultimately they figured it out with near world record scores for the weekend.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,771 Crazy Baller
    @UCFskier the sooner you address the knot the better. Get on it now, no reason to wait. You can also use oil on the knot.
    S-Lines....I'm very happy with mine.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    skialex
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,824 Mega Baller
    Happy with my 2 new S-Lines.
    As a testimony,i ski as bad as before,maybe even worst. :)
    My ski finish in 16.95 ...but my ass is out of tolerance!
  • slalom frogslalom frog Posts: 115 Baller
    Purchased an S-Line R3 and have skied about 3 sets on it. It seemed a little stretchy the first set but I have not noticed anything since then. Quality seems good. Delivery was prompt. From my experience so far, it appears like a good product. Worth a try in my opinion.
    skihacker
  • ghutchghutch Posts: 213 Solid Baller
    Buy one and try it... you won't be disappointed. Met the owner this weekend, a really good guy who's passionate about what he does. Its definitely a great rope and an even better price.
    RAWSkiPSM
  • skialexskialex Posts: 1,352 Mega Baller
    I bought some for me and my friends, no complaints whatsoever… on the contrary, everyone love their rope. I tried both mid stretch and soft. Ended up with soft, but liked both, I just felt like the soft suits me better.!
    PSMwhitem71
  • MI3EventerMI3Eventer Posts: 47 Baller
    First tournament in Michigan was held this weekend and exclusively used S-line ropes, R3 was used for slalom.

From a boat judge perspective loved using them especially with all line lengths being slide loops as I prefer those to the standards. For early season skiing there were some big scores posted especially considering how late we started skiing this year! Multiple PBs by younger skiers, M1-W1, and more seasoned skiers were scoring at or above their average. Hell I even surprised myself skiing 2 buoys under my PB.
    UWSkierMDB1056
  • Michigan_skier_tooMichigan_skier_too Posts: 1 New Baller
    I ski with Scott who makes the S-Line rope and I can assure you he leaves nothing to chance. And I think whatever is left in development of ski ropes this guy will do.
    MISkierrandy menySedgeballsohard
  • BigSprayBigSpray Posts: 16 New Baller
    I have been skiing with an S Line R3 and never was really happy with it just stretched too much. Frankly it just sucked. Waist of 85.00. Tried a Z line and it was golden. Limited stretch felt connected at all times with the rope. Something I never felt with the S lines.
    dave2ball
  • 34mph34mph Posts: 229 Baller
    I’m on my second set of the SLine comp rope .. the rope looks fantastic … but wondering why I’m so sore that night , compare to prior ? Is the rope to soft ? To firm ? I’m coming of a 3 year ( 12 month use ) masterline progressive rope . What do you guys think ?
  • LK_skierLK_skier Posts: 115 Baller
    @dbutcher - what line length are you skiing at? I think the experience will be different depending if your trying it at long line vs shorter lengths?
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 1,073 Crazy Baller
    edited June 22
    @34mph S lines are soft Which causes them to stretch more. . Your 3 Y/O rope is dead. Any new rope will stretch more then you 3 Y/O rope. The S line comp will stretch more then a ML comp HO or Radar ropes from my experience with them. I have tried all 4 mentioned.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,902 Mega Baller
    I have completely adjusted to my Competition rope and don't discern any real noticeable stretch anymore. I'm sure that's a combination of it being broken in and me being used to it.
    boats are like girlfriends you love them however there is another one around the corner - bananaron, July 21, 2020
  • DezthecorgiDezthecorgi Posts: 2 New Baller
    I purchased both the medium stretch (competition) and the least stretch (r series) and found myself enjoying the least stretch the most. I must say I love the price and the grey fleck color pattern is very stylish and unique!
  • VONMANVONMAN Posts: 340 Crazy Baller
    I love my S-line R3 ski rope. And as for the no-stretch my ski partner who is a long distance Barefooter, came to ski with me but forgot his barefoot line. So I added a couple of fifteen sections to my R3 and he took two runs and was surprised that he couldn't feel any stretch at all. Even on the deep water start.
    Ernie Schlager

A Good One Ball Gives You Six
    MI3Eventer
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,771 Crazy Baller
    Hey this may be a stupid question, and I'm surprised that the question never came to my mind previously. What changes are made to a rope to provide different stretch characteristics?
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    Andre
  • SedgeSedge Posts: 22 Baller
    @LeonL definitely not a stupid question. A variety of things can affect or change the characteristics of a rope and its stretch/rebound amount. Removing outside variables such as water and air temp the focus being on the make up of the rope. Without giving away what we do, things such as how the braid of the rope is laid up, yarn tensile strength, yarn mass, how the yarn was extruded and if the yarn is twisted and how much twist along with gearing and tension on the machines all play a factor in this. For example our competition series and R3 series use different yarns and braids. When working on test ropes we tend to focus on one thing to see how that change affects the rope. Similar to dialing in your ski and messing with the fin or binding placement, just more variables. I hope that helped answer your question.

@Horton loves talking about this stuff with me haha
    WishAndre