Leroy Burnett history . . what rope length increments after 36 off back in the 60's

swbcaswbca Posts: 741 Crazy Baller
edited June 10 in Mostly Slalom
A Burnett family member had a thread yesterday trying to find some photos or videos of Leroy Burnett. According to his Nephew, Leroy passed away while on a ski trip in Tahoe in 2014. A few years prior their house burned down destroyed all their media and memorabilia.

Welcome fact checks - this is all from memory

I recorded a super8 video of Leroy Burnett at the 1966 Nationals in Miami. He was in the BOYS division and was possibly the world's top slalom skier in August 1966. (Men's world record holder and Masters Champion)

Everyone was standing on the Shoreline when Leroy skied.

6 @ 30 off
6 @ 36 off
2 @ what was next after 36 off? was it 39 off or 42 off ? - I have never been able to find any reference info on the old rope lengths.

@AustinGraham If that super8 can be restored to digital I will post it here . . It will take a couple of weeks because I am not at home and I will have to send it somewhere to be digitized.

Better yet, there must be some video of the Masters event . . where would that be ?

From an Obrien Poster
Home of the world's first submersible slalom course
AustinGrahamslow

Comments

• Cooper_TrelawneyCooper_Trelawney Posts: 360 Crazy Baller
    I'll say this, slalom skiers had big balls to contend with in the 60s!
    Travis Anderson, Texas waterfront REALTOR
  • BroussardBroussard Posts: 765 Mega Baller
    Man, if only Ed Brazil was still with us. :(
    I believe he made a post or two about the old line lengths somewhere on this forum.
    Andre Broussard | Action Water Sports | WakeHouse | SkiBennetts |
    rawlyaupatking
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,883 Mega Baller
    Ham Wallace where are you?? that guy knows everything about competition in the 60's
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• AustinGrahamAustinGraham Posts: 12 Baller
    Please just let me know ! If it can that would be absolutely amazing :) I do appreciate it greatly.
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 845 Crazy Baller
    Fwiw
    Speed table from Sweden 1961.
    Did not find line lenghts in this book.

Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
    The oldest skier in our club had some type of result of 54km, 17 m around 1969.
    I will try to ask him.
  • swbcaswbca Posts: 741 Crazy Baller
    edited June 11
    I found the discussion with Ed Brazil on old rope lengths where he discusses 42off. From his comments it sounds like 42off was the next increment after 36off.
    Rope loops "off" 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42off

2 at 42off @36mph is a good slalom run for a BOYS division skier on a wood ski in 1966. If that's accurate it's no wonder he set a new Worlds Men's slalom record and also won the Mens Masters title in 1966.
    [Width variables >> the slalom course was 5.5" Narrower in 1966 but the balls were bigger making it about the same]

So unofficially Leroy Burnett ran 2 at 42off @36mph in the Boys division at the 1966 Nationals in Miami. If my Super8 film will still play, I will be able to confirm.
    ALPJr
  • pcpc Posts: 7 Baller
    Leroy was an amazing skier, look at his Obrien in the turn. I had the good fortune to ski with him a couple of times near his house in the Delta. His dad Ted was one of the best when it came to setting up twin rigs.
    AustinGrahamswbca
    In sweden mid 60ths.
    57 kmh, 23 m, 19 m, 17 m, 15 m, 13 m
    swbca
    @pc thats awesome;) I grew up in that house on bethal island right on the levee. It was a dream for a kid growing up. Your own boat dock to fish off of and going out everyday with lee fishing and having fun. I really miss that place.
    whitem71
    edited June 16
    @pc What division was Kris Lapoint in at the 65 Nationals. I thought he won Boys. He had a big score as everyone was expecting.

I guess I was a few years off on performance levels when describing Burnett's standing ovation performance in the 1966 Nationals. Looking back on that day I incorrectly figured his last full pass must have been 36 off.
    @AustinGraham I found a large film reel of ski tournament movies that were spliced together. I have no equipment to preview the content. I sent the reel to a conversion company to create a digital copy is possible. Will let you know.
    AustinGraham
  • pcpc Posts: 7 Baller
    Kris skied in his first nationals in 1965 and established himself as one of the best with a win in the Jr Boys slalom event with a score of 51 buoys plus 1 additional. Second place finisher Donald Krueger also had 51 but with only 1 additional. In 3rd was Ricky McCormick with 46, Mike Graser in 4th, and Bob LaPoint in 5th. As for me in my second nationals, I was back in the pack with 29 plus 5 additional.
    swbca
    edited June 17
    @pc Its cool you have your WaterSkier magazines going way back! Kris Lapoint's presence at the 65 Nationals was one of the central interest points. He was was tall and strong. I remember that he won his slalom event, but standing around with a crowd of spectators and skiers asking him questions he didn't look like a Jr Boy.

Do they show the men's slalom scores past the top 5 . . I think I ran 2 at 24 off but don't remember the placement. I remember my ski being torn off when I hit the Twin-Rig wake after the 2 ball. Steve Bruce

ONE SECOND LATER I WAS OUT THE FRONT - Minneapolis Star/Tribune featured a local skier

ALPJr
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,524 Administrator
    edited June 17
    By 1968 the balls in the US were still in feet and inches but we're extremely close to the metric dimensions that we have today. The oldest official international world records are dated 1973.

I have a vague recollection of hearing about the changes in rope lengths I have no idea when it transferred to the current standard.

I am perplexed by mentions of runs into 38 & 39 off in the posts above. In 1973 ROBBY ZUCCHI set the world record at 2.00 @ 12.00/58 ( 35 off / 36 mph )

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

gsm_peter
    @Horton I don't think 38off is mentioned above. 39 off is mentioned as a question trying to remember if the old rope lengths progressed from 36off to 39off or it went from 36off to 42off. Rope lengths down to 36off are well documented and 42off has been mentioned by Ed Brazil, but I wasn't sure if there was something in-between such as 39off. Still haven't learned what followed 36off.

I think the change-over in the USA was around 1972
    @swbca sweet. Thanks so much for keeping me updated.

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

• B_SB_S Posts: 331 Crazy Baller
    That looks like total bouy count, not feet off.
    aupatking
    @Horton Buoy count and rope lengths are two different things.
    ooooo

• Cooper_TrelawneyCooper_Trelawney Posts: 360 Crazy Baller
    Not to hijack the thread but it is great seeing Don Ennis' name getting some recognition. He still lives on Lake McQueeney and runs a ski camp called Ski Masters. I hang out with him every so often and it's great to hear stories about skiing with Joe Cash, Joker Osborn, etc. There were some real characters in the sport then. Still are today.
    Travis Anderson, Texas waterfront REALTOR
  • Wow, this is a flash from the past. I grew up skiing on The Delta back in the 1950’s and 60’s. Leroy worked occasionally at Frank’s Fishing Resort on Bethel Island, where my folks launched our boat every weekend during the ski season. There were a few times we met up with Leroy on the water and would head over to Diablo Waterski Club to watch him practice. It was quite a thrill as a kid to watch him ski - and I wasn’t a whole lot younger than Leroy…!!! Love it when old stuff like this comes up on BOS…!!!