Is algae bloom harmful?

Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 507 Baller
I ski 3 different lakes and the one that is closest to my house has been really green the last few years. It's not as bad this year but they still have signs up. Last year it was 25 ppm and I avoided that lake for a few reasons. Is this health risk overblown? Send it?

Comments

• Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,376 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    Can be, there are different types, have a look on the web, on how test, one test is simply dip a stick into it, but I can.t remember what you are looking for, see if I can find and post the link.

Looking Forward To Getting On The Water, It Has Been A Bleak Winter

• thagerthager Posts: 5,566 Mega Baller
    Algae bloom is inversely proportional to Walley count! Green it up baby!!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    edited June 22
    @Ski_Dad , cyanobacteria has been associated with liver failure and the possibility of promoting tumor growth.
    I believe animals (dogs etc)are at greater risk than humans

Looking Forward To Getting On The Water, It Has Been A Bleak Winter

• BKistlerBKistler Posts: 60 Baller
    Suggest contacting OSU Cooperative Extension office closest to you. Free, expert advice.
  • JmoskiJmoski Posts: 477 Crazy Baller
    edited June 22
    One of the lakes I ski occasionally has a Cyanobacteria bloom - several times we skied without realizing it, which resulted in a mild poison ivy like rashes where your wetsuit ends. My ski partner also had some mild GI tract woes as he tends to crash a fair amount, hence he probably swallowed some water by accident.

It’s ingesting it that’s the more serious concern - animals drinking at shore are at most risk as the wind/waves will concentrate the toxins at the edge.

Silver lining is you have the lake to yourself!