97 Sport starting problem

jbren1234jbren1234 Posts: 2
edited July 9 in Boat Talk
I am at my wits end with this issue. I have an intermittent electrical/ignition problem somewhere. I have a 97 Sport Nautique GT40. I can turn the key, hear the LP pump cycle then start then it dies. The LP pump will no longer cycle, I have to let it sit for about an hr then it will repeat. Pump is good, battery is new, starter is new, ignition solenoid is new. Jumped the diodes as well, they are not the issue either. Both relays are also new. I can replace the starter relay and it will work briefly until the same problem occurs all over again. Any thoughts? I hate electrical. Back when it ran I had an issue with it dying on a full tank. I could leave running, and once it got close to full it would sputter and die. Then it was a pain in the neck to start again. Not sure if related. Any help would be awesome. Don't want the entire summer to pass me by.

Comments

• jhughesjhughes Posts: 1,221 Mega Baller
    Last time I had nearly this exact issue it was the LP fuel pump on a GT40. I'd throw a new LP pump at it, worst case you have a spare. It can still make noise and be bad.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,904 Mega Baller
    @jbren1234
    try a 12 volt jumper to the fuel pump circuit and see if it will continue to run..
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• jbren1234jbren1234 Posts: 2
    I can jump the LP pump, so I know it works. It is something electrical. I'll try jumping to the circuit and see what happens.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,904 Mega Baller
    @jbren1234 the low pressure and high pressure pumps are on the same circuit..
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• DragoDrago Posts: 1,795 Mega Baller
    What @jhughes said. X 1,000
    If I remember correctly, there is a little hose in there that gets brittle and cracks, so it sounds good but isn't
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)