Fluid motion Quatro mounted at stock on 68” xtr wnts to auger in on good side

New quatro mounted stock position on new xtr. Ski worked fine with radar bindings but almost dives in to turn on both sides at 32 off with stock fin settings

Someone once moved them way baci 1” and ski performed great

so I moved back 3/8 and changed to goode shallow and long settings to try and maintain tip pressure. This improved it somewhat

I have run thousands of 32 off’s ON GOODS STARTING WITH 9300 and never had to worry about ski initiating too much ANGLE AT APEX OF TURN

HELP🙁
Michael Workman MD

Comments

• GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,271 Mega Baller
    The best way to attain equivalent heel position is accurately measuring from the medial malleolus at 90 deg to the ski, but that can be troublesome to do accurately. Suffice it to say you already figured out there is more distance from the back of the FM shell to the back of the heel compared to the Vapor. The additional resistance to dorsiflexion (or less ROM) in the FM shell will create more acute tip feedback too. If you tend to have a tad of genu varum external, in a stiff hardshell that will tend to roll the ski with bias to the onside and a delay to the offside and/or getting high-sided easily out of the offside.

You didn’t mention why the transition? RTL in the back? Safety (release) or performance reasons?

Being a Goode skier so long have you tried Powershells? IMO if you are convinced to don a shell up front, then get a Powershell and mount it on an MOB release system (assuming RTL in back). The Powershell has enough compliance to mitigate one sided bias and has smoother dorsiflexion ROM.

Otherwise, get the new 2022 Vapor shells (remove the RB cuff if RTL likeness preferred); then just ski great without fussing over other hardshell frustrations.
    waterski39
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 5,203 Mega Baller
    Mark your cuff strap buckle so you always set it the same and back it off 1 or 2 clicks and test.
    waterski39
  • waterski39waterski39 Posts: 2
    Thank you both very much
    Sounds spot on

If binding is 1/2” back currently and occasionally dives, I plan to try backing it 1/4” then 1/2 and try it while also loosening the cuff buckles

Sound OK
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,625 Administrator
    Did you also change back bindings?
    Am I correct understand that you went from a very pliable binding to a very stiff binding?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

skialex
  • skialexskialex Posts: 1,378 Mega Baller
    Buy a mikrojust, 1/4 or 1/2 could be huge
    Deanoski
  • skihackerskihacker Posts: 507 Crazy Baller
    How many sets on new binders? I recall when i switched from rubber to hardshells that the ski gets really twitchy. A rubber boot flexes a lot, hardshells don't, it took me a few sets to learn to be a little more still on the ski, any movement forward is instantly transfered to the ski. Just some random thoughts, maybe a few more sets needed.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 5,203 Mega Baller
    Quattro is specifically their dual binding system. I find that it does need canting if you want to tighten the buckles down. If a looser cuff runs better then you need to match the cuff to your tibia either by oblonging the cuff bolt or shims between the sole plate and the shell or a insert/wedge inside. Which is best depends cause my guess would be you are a bit bow legged
    Gloersen