Moving to hardshell - Reflex or HO/Edge?

DerrisBDerrisB Posts: 2 New Baller
Considering moving to a hardshell binding setup off the Radar Vapor boot, specifically either the Reflex Classic or the Edge One. Looking for Pros and Cons of both these. Still planning to keep the Radar HRT in the back, I do love that thing. Any actual on the water experience with one or both would be outstanding. Thanks,
Tagged:
jhughes

Comments

• MastercrafterMastercrafter Posts: 441 Crazy Baller
    I am happy with my Edge. I got it because Reflex was on a long backorder when I was shopping years ago. The new Edge has the 840 stainless release and the boot buckles are nice and smooth.

I was using an HRT like you and eventually went to Reflex R-style in back, but both setups rock.
    DerrisB
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,869 Mega Baller
    @Mastercrafter Is the sole of the Edge flat or similar to Reflex?
    My ski finish in 16.95 ...but my ass is out of tolerance!
    ETskier
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 1,155 Crazy Baller
    Get a new radar vapor shell Scrap the reflex release
    Gloersen
  • MastercrafterMastercrafter Posts: 441 Crazy Baller
    @Andre - not flat. The binding plate has good supports to keep the boot true to the ski as well.

Andre
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 727 Mega Baller
    I bought the Goode version with the reflex plate. It's been awesome
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,859 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    If it were me, I’d go with MOB. @MikeM’s binding system is much more adjustable for personal set up. And i believe you can mount your Radar back binder on the MOB plate.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    mmosley899
  • shr06shr06 Posts: 1
    HO edge plate seems great, but what about fast release with all the carbon around the shell ??? Also their hardshell do not have ankle protection against a maximum flexion while Reflex have a rear strap (+ bolts on mine). It helps when falling/looping to the front
  • BeezerBeezer Posts: 14 New Baller
    So I have skied long periods of time on both set ups. The edge boot is a tighter fit than the reflex. They are both good products however the edge has little more solid connection to the plate and ski. However I didn’t feel a performance advantage to this feel. But what i did notice is the edge system would not want to release on a twisting fall as well as the reflex. ON a out the front fall they were equal. The reflex was safer to me if twisting. Most of my mistakes are out the front so they BOTH drew blood on my rear shin equally!!! The reflex boot was harder to get adjusted the same each set and I preferred the buckles on the edge for that reason. Neither boot moved freely at all until I used a white collar reflex boot. The white collar boot is a touch softer on the top and moved nice. The Edge boot has touch more knee forward over the toe stance and doesn’t move back as far as the reflex boots. Hope this helps some.
    DW
  • epnaultepnault Posts: 382 Crazy Baller
    @Deanoski - I took a look a that when it was launched but not sure how it releases from the ski - I assumed it did not release
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,648 Administrator
    I have and have skied lot in all of the Reflex based systems except for the Goode version. ( I am sure the Goode boot is really good and I want one.) At the end of the day they all release the same. The differences are the feel of the boots themselves. I can see the logic behind the arguments above but more than anything is it about the way your foot fits in the boot and how it skis. I have no problem recommending any of the above mentioned systems.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

mmosley899
  • brettmainerbrettmainer Posts: 429 Crazy Baller
    @Horton, I believe Goode discontinued their Reflex release boot. I forget the exact story, but it had to do with a weak, unreliable plastic part that kept breaking and causing pre-releases.
    Clicking the banner immediately to the left of this text box confirms that they are no longer for sale. Probably for the best you did not get one.

FWIW, I ski on a Goode XTR with reflex classic front and modified R style back. I can't say this set up has increased my performance, but I have been very happy with how it releases in falls. I have never (knock on wood) had it pre-release.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,648 Administrator
    edited 5:21PM
    @brettmainer Not surprised. The reason I always wanted to ski with the Goode version was how soft the shell was. I can see how that creates issues with release.

Let me know if you want me to tweak your settings. I am sure I can make it pre-release.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

• mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 753 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @lpskier Yes, that is correct, most of the Radar boots can be used on the MOB system. And the HRT or any other style rear boot can be used with the system.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    2022 World Games Competition Manager