Discontinued??? Nautique Super Air GS20

utahslalomutahslalom Posts: 19 Baller
My brother in-law and I have been talking about crossover boats and he just noticed that Nautique does not have the GS20 listed on their website for 2023. Can anyone confirm? I personally feel the VTX and the GS20 have been the top choices for crossover boats. It would be sad to see Nautique exiting the crossover market.

Comments

• addkerraddkerr Posts: 191 Baller
    Funny I was only just looking at that myself.
    Seems to be the new malibu Vtx is the only crossover boat now. The nxt20 although the same size as the prostar isn’t really a skiable boat for slalom. I’m in the opinion that a true crossover is impossible. You can get a ok wake boat that can’t ski or an ok ski boat that can’t surf / wake well.
  • Woodybc62Woodybc62 Posts: 57 Baller
    @utahslalom Nautique discontinued the GS line for 2023.
  • jpwhitjpwhit Posts: 236 Solid Baller
    I don’t think crossover boats are practical now that surfing has become so dominant. When it was mainly skiing and wakeboarding you could bridge the gap with weight in the form of ballast. Now modern boats in both disciplines are relying on very specific hull designs. Sure you can throw a bunch of weight and a shaper on a ski boat and “surf”. But compared to a modern surf boat that would be about the same as telling a course skier they should be happy running the course using an I/O.

I gave up on the notion of a crossover long ago. If you want to ski the course and surf at a descent level. The practical option is 2 boats.
  • utahslalomutahslalom Posts: 19 Baller
    edited July 30
    I think there are many skiers like me that don’t have access to a course and just need a boat that can ski well on the open water while also giving more room for the family due to an increased beam and freeboard. And if a boat like this can also produce a decent wake for beginner/intermediate surfers, then great. I consider myself lucky to own an RFXi and find that it is the perfect crossover boat for my family of six. It’s just sad to hear that there are fewer and fewer crossover boats in production.
  • Kwoody51Kwoody51 Posts: 146 Baller
    Mastercraft’s XT line is supposed to be a crossover boat. Few years back they had some promo shots of skiing behind an xt21 or xt22.

No direct skiing experience so can’t comment on wake quality.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,648 Administrator
    I thought the Ski Nautique was a crossover boat. ;-)

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

vtjcaddkerrironhorse
  • jpwhitjpwhit Posts: 236 Solid Baller
    I helped a long time family friend buy a "general use" boat 2 years ago to go with their new lake house. We ended up settling on an XT22. We are over there using the boat fairly often so I have first hand knowledge of how it performs. It surfs pretty well, and the ski wake is acceptable for recreational skiing if you're not very picky.

I should set some context for my earlier post in this thread. Since this site is very slalom specific, and the majority of people here do ski the course, that was the context for my earlier statement. A lot of people here when they talk about crossover, they are looking for a boat like the Sunsetter LXI, which is certainly slalom course capable. I don't think a crossover boat that is slalom course capable and can surf at a reasonable level is practical.