Broken Ski, Broken Skier

RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 845 Mega Baller
Good Day Ballers - Day 7 of 8 day trip to Curlew. Douger crashed going to 5 ball (34/15 off) and came up with a broken Syndicate Omni and front ankle injury. Probably no surgery but expect to be out for the year.

Curious if anyone else has had similar failures. Got ski last fall.
At least this didn't happen last weekend!!

Comments

• BugHunterBugHunter Posts: 33 Baller
    I have the same ski but it will be 3 years old next month. In the summer I average 50 passes a week, in the 2 month winter here in FL probably 20 a week. No problems yet, but this makes me think though!
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 963 Crazy Baller
    edited August 6
    They had issues with some of the first year syndicate Omnis but I haven’t heard of problems on more recent years.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 6,131 Mega Baller
    ski broke between the bindings once at the wake on a 28 off opener. I got absolutely drilled.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 5,211 Mega Baller
    edited August 6
    To be clear Connelly HO and Radar are all one company...

It's a conspiracy one venture capital firm owns them their skis mostly from one place which is connelly factory

Ropes the radar and HO high end stuff same place.

Go up the chain one venture capital firm
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,648 Administrator
    edited August 6

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

APB
    @Horton OK so do a dive into the addresses and corporate governance for the entities that operate the brands. Have fun with their leadership and addresses for physical locations. Red pill blue pill.
  • mfjaegersrmfjaegersr Posts: 280 Crazy Baller
    Kent Outdoors/ Seawall Capital indeed owns Connelly, HO, and O’Brien, but doesn’t claim Radar on their website. @BraceMaker
    edited August 6
    @mfjaegersr maybe I missed the kabal so it's connelly ho and Obrien but not Radar. My bad.

So radar and ho don't have ropes made by the same place... or do they. ..
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,859 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Rednucleus Did your buddy recently fly with his ski?
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,648 Administrator
    edited August 6
    @BraceMaker
    Radar has absolutely no connection to the other companies. Radar his owned by Square One

HO & Connelly do have the same corporate parent but are run as completely separate entities. Internally they compete with each other.

Things like vests, ropes and gloves are made in a few factories across the industry. That's because these are the sources. It is likely that the gloves made by a HO also come from the same factory that makes Nike.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

savaiusini
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 845 Mega Baller
    @lpskier Nope, got this ski last fall as a demo to replace an Omni from the previous year that delaminated.
  • utahslalomutahslalom Posts: 19 Baller
    @Rednucleus I had a similar experience in April 2020. I had a 2019 Syndicate Omni and when crossing the wakes, I came down hard on the front of the ski which broke the ski in between the front and rear boot. I rolled my ankle badly which resulted in a peroneal tendon subluxation injury which required surgery. No fun. HO replaced my ski at no cost, but the injury was a doozy.
  • skialexskialex Posts: 1,379 Mega Baller
    Green inside… matching fonts color
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 632 Crazy Baller
    Believe thats a 2018 with the green graphics. My ski partner had the same one broke in same spot. Luckily he caught it before it broke all the way through.
    2000 Malibu Response LX 2019 65 HO Syndicate Omni Vapor Bindings
    Demo skies mean you have no idea how it’s treated. 9 out of 10 times it’s fine. It’s a used ski, you never really know.
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 305 Solid Baller
    Ok.,.what is the cause, and what is the effect. Are you saying that you crashed and that’s what broke the ski or that the ski broke and caused your crash?

It’s a bad deal either way…
    Andre
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,869 Mega Baller
    edited August 6
    @braindamage Was typing the same question...
    @Rednucleus Give him some big ''horses'' pill and he'll be back soon! :) Scary break in that ski for sure!
    My ski finish in 16.95 ...but my ass is out of tolerance!
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,582 Mega Baller
    Just walk it off!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    VONMANSkiphreak
    @braindamage Not sure, going in to 5, ski came out/off water going in to turn, crash, bad words in the water & ski folded in half
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 305 Solid Baller
    Hmmm..if you were going into the turn, there shouldn’t be any extraordinary pressure on the ski, so most likely it was crash that was the cause?
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,216 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    edited August 6
    Skis of pretty much all brands have had similar breakages over the years. My guess is that its a manufacturing defect such as air bubbles in the epoxy, improperly cured, or outdated epoxys that are possible causes. This is simply a very small percentage of the build process that has a "lemon" ski and not indicative of any brand or model.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    thagerAndreskialexsavaiusini
  • APBAPB Posts: 454 Crazy Baller
    Buy a new one and keep swervin!!!!
  • bananaronbananaron Posts: 574 Mega Baller
    Lets see the previous HO delaminated and this is the second one.If I were in charge it would be taken care of....No questions asked.
    Ron Engblom Brainerd lakes,minnesota
    edited August 6
    @braindamage That was his thought as well as he sits here with ice on ankle! I was not in boat, but from dock it looked pretty routine.
    Also possible that it started to crack going across the wakes and it finally let go at the ball.

All companies have some duds. Someone or something is telling you to try a different ski.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 6,131 Mega Baller
    I had one fracture but not come apart at the ball, too. Was a very gentle fall in that case.

Razor skis always claimed they never had a break. Having skied one for many years, it sure seemed like an incredibly well manufactured ski.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • JASJAS Posts: 333 Crazy Baller
    edited August 7
    CSI. Possible cause

Hard pull to 5, wake pop. ski bounce with body moving forward, right edge of ski tip digs, body hits water like fly swatter, heavy loading and planter flexion of ankles (no chance for these bindings to release in this direction) weight now back in relation to ski, peak force, ski breaks.

Not sure if this is what happened but It is possible that fall caused failure, and not failure caused fall. I recall reading that skis are weakest bending tip toward bottom. Pull +4-5 G’s in Cessna and wings fall off, only need -2 G’s for wings to fall off. Its all determined by design.

I am recovering from fibula fracture and surgery resulting from slip on wet grass and planter flexion of my ankle. Ankles only go so far. Missing my first ski season in 51 years sucks, I feel your pain, heal fast!!!
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,399 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    @JAS wouldn't,t be buying a Cessna then would I.

Looking Forward To Getting On The Water, It Has Been A Bleak Winter