Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Factory Measure Methods

HortonHorton Posts: 27,741 Administrator
edited January 2008 in Skis Fins Bindings
<p>
<font face="Arial" size="2" color="#000000"><strong>Below is what I know off the top of my head. The Radar method is how I think Andy measures. It would be nice to define this once and for all. I have some notes from 07 Ski Tests that may answer some of this.  </strong></font>
</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">
<strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Factory Methods</span></strong>
</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">
<strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Brand            Length      DFT      Depth</span></strong>
</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">
<strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Goode           </span></strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Jaws         Head     Head</span>
</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">
<strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Fisher           </span></strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Tips                       Head</span>
</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">
<strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">HO                Jaws</span></strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">          Head   Head</span>
</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">
<strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">D3                 </span></strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Tips           Stem     Head</span>
</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">
<strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">O'Brien         </span></strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Tips                       Head</span>
</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">
<strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Connelly       </span></strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Tips                       Head</span>
</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">
<strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Radar            </span></strong><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Tips           Head     Head</span>
</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">

</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">
Corrected 1/26/08
</p>

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 27,741 Administrator
    <p>
    Ref:
    </p>
    <p>
    <a href="http://ballofspray.com/HTML/BasicFinMeasure.htm"><font size="3" color="#810081">http://ballofspray.com/HTML/BasicFinMeasure.htm</font></a><font size="3">  </font><a href="http://waterskitests.com/2007/HighEnd/07FinMethods.htm"><font size="3" color="#810081">http://waterskitests.com/2007/HighEnd/07FinMethods.htm</font></a>
    </p>

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• Old MS AccoutOld MS Accout Posts: 2,114 Baller
    The only way is the GOODE way. But Tips are better to transfer numbers from Caliper to caliper.
  • auskierauskier Posts: 453 Baller
    <p>
    hmm i have HO paperwork telling me otherwise. Not sure if you guys recieve the same info with your sticks as what we do down here but for the monza HO provide setup numbers and a 'quick guide'.
    </p>
    <p>
    i quote: "Lenght is measured with the jaws of the caliper (not the tips). measuring the length of the fin using the tips will add aprox .090 to the total length".  the info says 6.835, 2.515, .715 for a 67, which is the same as whats published elsewhere. this is probably pre shake-up so...
    </p>
    <p>
    so has the 'official factory method' changed in the past 12-24 months?
    </p>
    Toby
    No I may have goofed. I will look it up this week.

<p>
    Auskier,
    </p>
    <p>
    you are correct and JTH screwed up. HO is same as Goode.
    </p>
    <p>
    But try .700 or even .690 on the DFT.
    </p>
    <p>
    Also, they are having success with .725 but deeper at 2.525 and a bit shorter at 6.820. I am going to play a bit more with that in the spring.  
    </p>
    This is exactly why we need the offical list of how each factory measures. With no two factorys doing the same thing it is a wonder that anyone knows how to set up a ski.

edited January 2008
    <p>
    I fixed the HOI Jaws/Tips notes in the big spread sheet. I am still unsure about the DFT method.
    </p>

edited January 2008
    Nope . . . I jsut found an old email from Wingerter that says that they use head for HO DFT.

I think the Stock settings sheet now has all the right details. Anyone know better????

• alex38alex38 Posts: 480 Baller
    Nope, very thorough and useful info here.
  • alex38alex38 Posts: 480 Baller
    John, I'm sure you've answered this question 1,000 times, but how do these companies achieve stock settings for a new ski? Do they just ski it and decide? Or is there a method to the madness?
    From what I can tell  "they just ski it and decide". It is safe to assume that a number of dev skiers have input.

<p>
    For the fish, they started with the Goode numbers and went from there.
    </p>
    <p>
    Goode #s have been really close from ski to ski since the 9100 came out.
    </p>
    <p>
    How they came up with the monza #s after the Phantom is beyond me. But if you look at the posted numbers from the origional Monza and where they run it today, it is way differant.
    </p>
    <p>
    Smarter minds then mine are desigining these skis and with guys like Mapple building them, they have a good idea of where to start. But since Horton has gotten me into all this Tweaking stuff, put me close and within 3-4 sets, I will find my sweet spot. I didnt know what a caliper was until I met JTH. Thanks JTH.  
    </p>