Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proper use of the jump sling and shoulder posistion to the ramp.....

normanwenzelnormanwenzel Posts: 35 Baller
edited April 2011 in Technique & Theory
A few years back I received a comment and though I have yet to figure it out completely it has proved to be one of the better tips for jumping that I have received whether he intended to be a tip or not I do not know. Horton said "it looks like you are holding on solely with the left arm" Me: what to you mean? Not sure if I ever got to the bottom of this thought and wanted to see if any of you or even Horton himself might be able to expand on this.
What would the list of steps be from the turn to the ramp and though the wakes into the base of ramp? at what point would I want to tilt the shoulders and how should that feel on the sling arm?

Any relation to slalom in these techniques?

All replies are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Norman Wenzel

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 27,883 Administrator
    edited April 2011
    What is a jump sling? Does this have to do with the red dock floating in the middle of some lakes?

Okay. In another life I did jump. You should temper my comments by the fact that I have not jumped since the 90s.

You want the pull of the boat to go though your sling and down your right leg. The more pull you have on your left arm, the more your center of gravity will move back and your weight will be transferred to your left ski. If you could connect the rope directly to your sling it would be very easy to be stable and centered plus your right leg would handle almost all of the pressure. Your right ski would naturally be in the right position.

I assume we all know what happens when your weight is on your left ski in your right ski is behind your centerline. If you're going to do this please get video.

I believe that in the years since I quit jumping some elite skiers have compensated for bigger ramps and stronger boats by transferring some of the pull back to their left arm. I would assume that most jumpers have more pull on their left arm than they should.

I suppose there is a similarity if we're talking about trailing arm pressure in slalom. To me the two disciplines are so different the comparison is a little esoteric.

Photo from a VERY long time ago

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

edited April 2011
    FYI - if I ever get drunk and try to tell anyone I was ever an Open Rated skier.... it was not and will never be slalom.

It is my greatest shame. Worse... I think I almost did it in trick also.

• ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,061
    Also the more you have the pull on the left arm, the greater chance of dipping the left shoulder and squatting.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• DirtDirt Posts: 1,594 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Here is a recent pic using no sling...
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    Dave,
    go to your post - click edit - click ... what ever that says embed ...something like that

If you watch Jaret here - the power goes from the boat to his right arm to right ski.

• DirtDirt Posts: 1,594 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Horton, I tried edit and there is no embed option
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,007 Mega Baller
    After you click post comment you cant go back and embed it. Kinda a PITA, i know.
    that is a setting. I will look.

That's a great video of Jaret. Look at how level his shoulders are at the base of the ramp. Watch some old Sammy Duvall footage if you can. Same thing. Sammy went 6 years without passing on a jump or crashing at one point.

Shane "Crash" Hill

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 71 Baller
    I disagree with the left arm theory. I am on my phone so will elaborate tonight when I have a keyboard.
    All ears.... Like I said what I know is from the 90s.

• Ham_WallaceHam_Wallace Posts: 533
    Break out your sticks and take a poke at the ramp! We know you are a closet jumper. I'll drive! The_Krista can boat judge!
    Am I a jumper that wants to be a slalom skier? Or a slalom skier that wants to be a jumper?
    Somebody has to run the video camera.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• normanwenzelnormanwenzel Posts: 35 Baller
    Wow! thank you for all the input. It is much appreciated.
  • jwrjwr Posts: 337 Baller
    You should take a lesson from Freddy. The guy is an unbelievable jump coach. Something he told me that helped a lot was to keep everything square. Your shoulders, your hips, knees. Everything pointed in the same direction, and no matter where you are in your pull you should be in a position to kick the ramp. When your out just riding on your jumpers try changing to your inside edge as you come off the second wake. If you can do it then you can kick the ramp. Crazy thing is even letting off at the wakes and changing edges you will still end up infront of the boat.
    Obrien Elite 30" 6.845, 2.510, .80 PB [email protected]
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 71 Baller
    Sorry it has taken me forever to respond.... I couldn't agree more with "jwr" about everything has to be in line. For me, it is easy to get my skis, and hips pointed towards shore, but it takes a lot more work to get your shoulders squared up to your hips all going towards shore, or to the bottom left corner of the jump, but think about shore to exagerate it. So back to the comment from Horton... I feel like if you try and get most of your load to your right arm and then into your right hip, that will place the handle far enough away that I feel your shoulders are going to be open to the boat as you cut to the ramp. I always try to think about rotating the bar on the handle to a horizontal position parallel to the water. I think if you can keep your shoulders going in the same direction as your skis/hips it helps to carry load through the ramp and into the air turning into lift. I'll stop here for now as I am really craving my first jump set of the year and am beginning to slober on the keyboard..... lol
    edited April 2011
    Yea I hear you. But as load moves off the sling and to your left shoulder it is harder to keep your spine vertical and the weight off your left ski.

Maybe a matter of perspective. Totally agree about going left. Just keep going left. Never stop going left.