Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Razor Rides 1 & 2

HortonHorton Posts: 28,272 Administrator
edited April 2011 in Reviews
I took my second ride on the Razor tonight. My first ride was Sunday afternoon and to be honest I was worried afterwards. I am very pleased to say that the second ride went very good.

It is way too early in the review process to make conclusions or definitive statements about the ski but my impressions so far are as follows:

It is fast. I personally do not put a lot of stock in this metric but no one is going to call this ski slow. Width comes very easy.

Offside turns are very nice. The front of the ski feels supportive. You can apply a lot of pressure forward without the ski catching.

On side turns may require an adjustment from me or from set up. They're not bad but I am not yet totally comfortable. This is not a surprise considering that I've only rounded 70 balls so far on this ski.

The ski seems loose in terms of roll stability. With my one-handed gate, right foot forward, the ski seems eager to roll to the right and back to the gates. This is not a bad thing. When the rope short, I think this could be a good thing. I'm not exactly sure how to gauge or describe roll stability. This will be a subject I will be talking about more.

See raw notes https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AjP0dYzQ9HLndGh5SjJWNmlyZnloLXlORTJ5N3M5MWc&single=true&gid=0&output=html
23 rides to go...

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Comments

• DWDW Posts: 2,057 Mega Baller
    Sounds like a vw candidate!
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    John -- I rode a Fisher Orange before my Razor. First couple of sets the Razor felt very different from the Fisher. I have these observations from your comments (I am also right foot forward). On the turn in it seems that the ski works better if I am a little faster than I was with the Fisher, and if I am gliding with a slight outward direction prior to turning in for the gate (I am two handed gate). This adjustment meant a lot. Second, I totally agree with your offside turn comments -- the ski rips the offside turn. The onside took me some time. What I foudn is that the ski REALLY wants to rip the turn and get back under the line. The solution for that for me was to get off the lean earlier going into the onside (like at/slightly before the second wake) and just switch edges and cast the ski out. That gives it time to run wide and just naturally arc back in. Fourth, I agree on speed. What I found most important in this respect is to ski the Razor "lighter" than my old Fisher. When I turn in and I feel pressure building in the handle, I hold my lean right there instead of leaning any further, and I come up from the lean much earlier and literally just cast it out to the other edge right off the second wake and let it create a natural arc. This last piece was the most interesting to me. On the Fisher I used to "create the finish" of the turn by pulling the ski through. On the Razor, I create the arc off of the second wake, and just let the ski follow its natural path to the finish of the turn. The end result of that is I am both wider and earlier, and with significantly less effort. For those new to the Razor, I think it will take them a few sets to get it. Once they do, I think they will be hooked!!!
    Jim Ross
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,272 Administrator
    edited April 2011
    @Razorskier1
    Thanks for you comments.

What numbers are you running? And what method do you use for DFT.

DW,
    For ski testing I am skiing the skis as close to stock as possible. Adding a custom wing - in a non-stock location is against the rules.

• Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    John, I am on a 68 inch, weigh about 195 and ski through 38 (in season!). I use the Razor "shortline" settings for the fin and binding placement. There is a word document on the Schnitz site with the settings. I am attaching it. The binding placement is further back than it was on my Fisher, and it seems to allow the ski to run faster with less energy expended. As an aside, my brother was on a D3 and last summer forgot his ski one day. He skied the Razor and at first looked out of sorts. I told him to just throw the ski to the opposite edge off the second wake and let the ski run and he was then taking the back side off the balls.
    Jim Ross
  • DWDW Posts: 2,057 Mega Baller
    John, I had made that assumption, your comments were interesting considering the timing of the chatter about the vw so that is why I tossed it out there. Can you imagine the potential iterations of your tests if you throw in a few extra "variables"! (A taguchi matrix would sort quick)
    edited April 2011
    As usual your logic is that of an engineer. The problem is that it is just not practical for me. In the old days we tested skis over a 3 day weekend. I now believe that was flawed.

This year I am taking at least 25 quality rides per ski. This is still not enough rides to try everything. Maybe at the end of the test I could try the VW but I can't think about that at this point. I need to get a feel for how to describe the ski in it's stock condition. I need to get totally at home on the ski. That means less variables - not more.

Go # 88!

Note: I generally ski without a wing. I will try a normal wing on the Razor this weekend.

• MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,775 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    JTH,
    Never say the independent ski tests were flawed! Year #1 was probably one of the most enjoyable 3 days of skiing in my life. All of your ski buds at two lakes for a weekend with the top of the line slalom skis from every company. Those were the days... (Not sure about the testing, but a heckuva time)
    It was HUGE fun but I am not sure it was the best way to do ski reviews. Reminds me.... Dawg was telling me today that you need to check your rope : - )

• MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,775 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    You have no room to talk about that issue my friend.
    True. Very very true

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,204 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    As the long time D3 skier who forgot his ski (referenced above)...I expected to just enjoy the morning and ski some openers at 28 on a foreign ski. After a few passes to acclimate at 28, was thru back to back 35's crazy early and [email protected] 38 both sets. Felt like w/some familiarity 35 would be a lighter effort pass and consistent 38 might be possible.
    It came under the line crazy quick and was through the wakes in a flash...it got ahead of me in the lean at times. If I can move my mass with it I think big things are possible. There were times I actually couldn't contain myself and was laughing during the set in surprise...they could see this from the boat as well. Bought one, so some ski time will tell. On a related note, I was a mess on the Fisher.
    Horton, looking forward to your impressions with some time. Can't wait to get some time of my own!
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,204 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Sorry, also keep in mind I wear D3 leverage front and RTP on my RCX and wear clinchers (forgot those, too as were in my ski bag). With that, was on my bro's Razor, w/his gloves and liners, and was first experience in Strada bindings and a toe loop so big I don't know how he uses the thing. Would think disaster in the making but all went well as noted above.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • Volker EngelhardtVolker Engelhardt Posts: 19 Baller
    good to hear