Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Razor Test - Rides 3, 4, & 5

HortonHorton Posts: 28,272 Administrator
edited April 2011 in Reviews
I took rides 3, 4, & 5 on the Razor today. I will do video tomorrow if possible. I do not like to describe a ski as fast because it can mean too many things but the Razor is a freak’n lightning bolt side to side.

As I noted in my log, angle off the ball is SICK. Cross course speed is Massive. The only down side to the Razor so far is that it only works when I ski aggressively. 35s feel a little frantic but I am early and not working very hard. I feel like it is all turn and burn. Oddly my boat driver tells me I feel smoother than on other skis.

For my one handed gate, I found that I had to move my start point later in order to get a smooth arc out and back. I am now starting right at the 55.

It is easy to get HUGE angle and run early but I do not feel like I am getting as wide as I would expect. I am wide but not super wide. I think this is a setting issue.

If I try to mellow out and cruse, things do not flow at all. I do not understand this yet. This may also be a matter of settings.

Considering that it is April, the fact that I am getting around 3 @ 38 is pretty good. I feel confident that when I straighten out my gate cadence I will get deeper. One ball is an issue for me on any ski but I think the Razor may help me iron this out.

Overall I am very impressed so far.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Comments

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,204 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Cool review Horton!
    My two sets on my bro's ski I thought frenetic as well coming from D3 RCX, but the BOS observers in the boat thought it was some of my best skiing. 35's were very low effort as I was out at buoy line very early...esp if I made sure to let my arms be fully extended after the turn, and then just hold the lean...not going for more.
    I didn't have time to figure the ski out at 38 in only two sets...in fact had no business trying it on limited time...damned peer pressure!
    Looking forward to your impressions after more ski time.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • I tried a friend's razor for one set at the end of last season. Absolutely loved the ski! I ran some of the smoothest, easiest 35s ever. So I purchased one over the winter and after staring at it in the cold, I made my way down to Orlando this week. I have three sets on the new ski and parts of it are incredible but some things need work. It certainly doesn't feel like it did last season. I'm finding it very difficult to turn 1,3,5 and I'm getting pretty far down course. But I can ski all the way to 2,4,6 and turn like what feels like 90*. This ski is fast. And from what I can tell extremely stable. I ended up shortening the fin quite a bit after the last set and we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

This ski has potential.
  • Forgot to mention... I'm a righty and skiing on the 66A at 36mph
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,272 Administrator
    edited April 2011
    I have not touched the fin yet but expect it is going to be setting sensitive .

Can you explain exactly what is happening on your off side (toe side - 1,3,5)

For me the Toe Side(1,3,5) turns are unreal so I wonder what the difference is?

• Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    JTH -- I have found that the only place I need to be aggressive is off the second wake. I need to change edges quicker and with more commitment that with prior skis. As for width, I think it must be settings. When I edge change quickly off the second wake I am completely outside the buoy line all the way through 35, and taking the backside off coming back in. Skied some open water this morning (my course isn't up yet), and I just use the first wake as my timing device. When I hit it, I start coming up and off the second I literally "throw" the ski to the other edge (in a controlled fashion). That is where the ski just takes off outbound and gets really wide.

wtrksii3156 -- I am also right foot forward, but on a 68 inch ski at 34mph. I find your comment interesting because my toe side (1,3,5) is like JTH's, just unreal. In fact, whereas I used to always think I could make up for mistakes on my 2,4,6 turns, I am now far more consistent on the toe side. Every time I make a mistake now I can't wait for a toe side turn to get it all back! That isn't to say that you can't make an unbelieveable 2,4,6 when you need it. My brother calls them "super ball turns". He says that when I need it it looks like I just bounced off a wall and headed back the other direction -- tight line, hips up and flying.

In short, the Razor is the best ski I've been on to date. Very interested in learning from everyone else's observations.

JR
    Jim Ross
    Oops. One more comment on your toe side turns on the Razor. Make sure you counter rotate consistently. If you don't counter, the ski (and I think all fast skis) won't want to come around completely. If you counter consistently, you will find you develop crazy angle and speed every turn.
    Jim Ross
    @Razorskier1
    What are your settings?
    Size ski and average score?

• Horton- My toe side feels like I am getting very far down course before I can get the ski traveling back across the course. But like Razorskier1 said, it feels like 2,4,6 is bouncing off of a wall--it's unreal. But it is the beginning of the season and I think that once I start skiing wider and more efficient it should come back together. I can't wait to ski it again.

What settings are you guys using? Horton, you said you haven't touched them-- so stock?

I am skiing an A68. 6ft tall, 195 lbs, using the "short line stock" settings. I will run my 38 pretty regularly and get a couple at 39 in practice once I'm out of the drysuit (MN). I practice a lot at 35 off. 34mph skier, 47 years old.
    Jim Ross
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,204 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I pulled Razor1 back to back 38's followed by a successful 39 last season at trophy lake estates in New Germany, MN...only successful 39 I've ever pulled.

Skied open water on the Razor today. When centered over the bindings it's a rocketship...agree w/Razor1 on the counter rotation. Making sure to reach down my imaginary buoy line really made for great turns. Can't wait to get it in the course.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Funny that you guys say this. I have been working on LESS counter on other skis. That is a subject for another thread.

It isn't a big counter but I find that it has to be consistent. Then toeside turns rock. As for heel side, I just relax and let the ski work. I want smooth and fast. I only pull out the ricochet turn when I've gotten myself in trouble. Nice to know it is there when I need it, but I don't want to use it uess I need it.
    Jim Ross
    If the weather holds - ride # 6 tonight after work.

• Just took my 5th set on the razor. Last night I set the fin to stock "shortline" settings and the ski came alive today. It turned both sides of the course perfectly. One thing I did notice was that I really had to carry out into 246 (my onside) or I would tend to ski straight at the bouy. But even if it did feel like I was skiing straight at the bouy I could turn on a dime and be back in the pass. Not something I want to make a habit out of, but will be great if I need it. There were many times that I would have been swimming if I was on my A1.
    When you say "carry out into 246" are you talking about keeping the handle tight past the edge change?

• Yeah exactly. Holding onto the handle as long as possible.
    I have seen others do this going into their "onside" turns. You may be riding flat after the second wake. Make sure you swing your ski fully at the edge change. Experiment with over emphasizing the edge change and I think you will fix your issue.
    Jim Ross
    @Razorskier1 I 100% believe in this http://ballofspray.com/tech-articles/87-what-the-heck-is-handle-control

but your idea of forcing the edge change .... I am not sure. Early yes but over emphasizing no. The faster the ski is rolled over the less width you will have.

Thinking about it in terms of understanding the feel better. By experimenting with overemphasizing my edge change I see the differences better, then can dial back. I find that easier to figure out and feel than making really small adjustments repeatedly. I prefer to find the limit, then dial it in. Skiing with CP a few years back he said some days he would practice leaving the wake on one edge and landing on the other.
    Jim Ross
  • Volker EngelhardtVolker Engelhardt Posts: 19 Baller
    cool